News Xavier Duursma departs for Essendon

bacharach

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have watched the North replay several times .. Duursma only made two mistakes. Was surprised how much he did in the game.
Had a smile when he got a free against Polec. He will be a very good player for Port. Give him time to develop into the Port system.
Thought the same. I know stat's aren't every thing but he had similar output to Polec and had better disposal efficiency (75 v 64). His few mistakes did stand out but he's fast and he gets the ball. He's playing R1 for sure. Mayes having a good game at sanfl level shouldn't surpass Duursma.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Liked the look: Who impressed for your club in JLT2?
Xavier Duursma
A quick midfielder who can also provide plenty of forward defensive pressure, the 18-year-old put his name forward for a round one debut with another impressive performance. Duursma had 24 disposals, 11 marks and four inside 50s in Saturday's 21-point win against North Melbourne. The 18th pick in last year's NAB AFL Draft, Duursma is on track to be one of four round one debutants for the Power alongside Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Willem Drew. Duursma's link-up play was on display when he received a handball from Sam Powell-Pepper, burst through the middle of the ground and kicked the ball to the advantage of Robbie Gray.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-11/liked-the-look-who-impressed-for-your-club-in-jlt2

1552259631851.png

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fast track all of the kids can actually play for mine and he's one of them. Mayes has to be a clearly better choice to be chosen over Duursma to force Duursma out. I don't think he is and being maybe line ball we should get games into Duursma.

I don't think he would have been judged so harshly around here if a couple of posters hadn't made a negative hoo-ha about him prior and upon his drafting (and continuing to do so) then followed by the groupthink.

Nah, he's being judged because he's yet to play a game for us where he hasn't made at least one complete howler that directly cost us a goal.

His good is really promising but his bad is awful, and at this point I'd trust someone like Mayes over him for a Round 1 spot. The good news is though that his good is the sort of stuff that you can't teach, whereas his bad is the sort of stuff that can be worked on with experience and coaching. I can definitely see the potential but I don't think he's in our best 22 just yet.

Arthur Dunger

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2016
Jumboville.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Power
Nah, he's being judged because he's yet to play a game for us where he hasn't made at least one complete howler that directly cost us a goal.

His good is really promising but his bad is awful, and at this point I'd trust someone like Mayes over him for a Round 1 spot. The good news is though that his good is the sort of stuff that you can't teach, whereas his bad is the sort of stuff that can be worked on with experience and coaching. I can definitely see the potential but I don't think he's in our best 22 just yet.
All your points are fair enough but sadly the poor guy has been maligned by some prior to ever having a kick for us where everyone else have not been scrutinised so harshly. I reckon he's going to be a ripper but time will tell.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't get the negativity towards Duursma. He was very good against North and has had a solid pre-season.
Finds the ball, runs hard both ways and I reckon his decision making is good. As he gets fitter and more experienced his disposal (though not bad) will improve even more. Let's remember he's ******* 18.
I think we've got a 200 game player on our hands.

Someone posted ages ago that the only reason this board is anti-Duursma is because the podcast was anti-Duursma.

Very few people on this board would know much about him at this stage.

Someone posted ages ago that the only reason this board is anti-Duursma is because the podcast was anti-Duursma.

It's very Pygmalion.

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No

Yeh when I heard Portia going on how disappointed she was I thought we must have recruited a leper.
Yep early days but he's done plenty to suggest the PAFC recruiters have made a good choice.
I'm not trying to dis the podcast crew, after all they have to say what they actually think. They can be wrong just like our recruiters though.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't get the negativity towards Duursma. He was very good against North and has had a solid pre-season.
Finds the ball, runs hard both ways and I reckon his decision making is good. As he gets fitter and more experienced his disposal (though not bad) will improve even more. Let's remember he's ******* 18.
I think we've got a 200 game player on our hands.
Love the guy! IMO, he has the potential to be a special player! His size, his speed, his attack on the ball, his vision. All indicate to me the making of someone special here.

Will he play round one? I reckon he has penciled his name in the spot. But then so has Mayes! It's line ball for me. I reckon no one is inked in yet, so it will depend on training over the next two weeks. I hope he plays, but I am a Mayes fan too!

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I am very pro Duursma. He looks excellent IMO and exactly what we need.

He will only get better.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
Love the guy! IMO, he has the potential to be a special player! His size, his speed, his attack on the ball, his vision. All indicate to me the making of someone special here.

Will he play round one? I reckon he has penciled his name in the spot. But then so has Mayes! It's line ball for me. I reckon no one is inked in yet, so it will depend on training over the next two weeks. I hope he plays, but I am a Mayes fan too!
I lean to Duursma.
I think I'm guilty of being easier to impress if the player has just been drafted. Someone like Mayes I think I'm more critical to begin with.
Mayes will play at some point but reckon he misses out round 1.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

We know they used Saturday as a dress rehearsal for Round 1. Duursma certainly didn’t do anything to weaken his case, was pretty good. Based on that you’d assume he plays.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Duursma received a handball from Lycett 2nd Q, and he kicked it about 35m to Boak who marked and goaled. :thumbsu:

There was that kick and the other that ended in Gray marking in the forward 50 (also in the second quarter). When he carries the footy running toward goal and kicks long, he is a sight to behold. The one that is getting him into trouble is when he runs across the ground (across goal) and kicks short to a teammate with an opponent just a few metres away.

Still, he is showing a fantastic ability to get to the footy. His inside ball-winning, contested work and outside play all look equally strong. It was also noticeable that he was dropping back to cover the defenders when the Kangaroos were moving the ball along the opposite wing. On a couple of occasions he was the last man standing in the vicinity of Ben Brown when the Kangaroos kicked it toward him.

I really like 95% of what he does. What I don't want is for us to excuse his brain fades though. It's what the coaches publically did for almost a decade with Pittard. We should be able to expect and demand that Duursma can take the game on without taking unnecessary risks and making silly clangers. The earlier this is expected of him, the better.

For mine, he is a definite round 1 starter.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There was that kick and the other that ended in Gray marking in the forward 50 (also in the second quarter). When he carries the footy running toward goal and kicks long, he is a sight to behold. The one that is getting him into trouble is when he runs across the ground (across goal) and kicks short to a teammate with an opponent just a few metres away.

Still, he is showing a fantastic ability to get to the footy. His inside ball-winning, contested work and outside play all look equally strong. It was also noticeable that he was dropping back to cover the defenders when the Kangaroos were moving the ball along the opposite wing. On a couple of occasions he was the last man standing in the vicinity of Ben Brown when the Kangaroos kicked it toward him.

I really like 95% of what he does. What I don't want is for us to excuse his brain fades though. It's what the coaches publically did for almost a decade with Pittard. We should be able to expect and demand that Duursma can take the game on without taking unnecessary risks and making silly clangers. The earlier this is expected of him, the better.

For mine, he is a definite round 1 starter.
Jarrad Schofield will help him out .. I expect great improvement with Jarrad's involvement.

Duursma reminds me a lot of Andrew Obst. Long strides, courageous, good overhead ... A. Obst was an outstanding player ... fingers crossed

Thats a great comparison

The board is about 98% pro-Duursma.

This talk that this board is anti-Duursma is rubbish

Back