News Xavier Duursma departs for Essendon

Rminds me of Jason Davenport...

Ha, now that you mention it I can see it. They look and move very similarly.

Hopefully he develops into Jason Davenport versus West Coast, rather than Jason Davenport versus literally every other team.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Nathan Lonnie would have something to say about that

Lonie is the softest player I have ever seen represent the club, and by the length of the Flemington straight.
I can only imagine what Fos Williams or Jack Cahill would have done the first time he pulled out of a contest, I suspect he would have never represented the club again, or even more likely wouldn't have been on the list on their watch in the first place.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I'm talking marauding wingman O'Shea circa 2013 not hapless turnover merchant defender O'Shea circa 2016.

That is a good point because Cameron O'Shea did not finish as he started. Like Jasper Pittard, who also showed promise in his first few years, Cam went backwards . Both players morphed from promising recruits to turnover merchants. Both players had the ability to get the ball they just didn't have the footy smarts to use it to effect.

You are right OGC the thread is off track. The name Cameron O'sShea certainly evokes some passion but I will mention the name of Xavier Duursma just to get the thread back on track.

PS don't mention the name Jasper Pittard. I mentioned both O'Shea and Pittard in the same post but I think I got away with it. ;)

Last edited:

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That is a good point because Cameron O'Shea did not finish as he started. Like Jasper Pittard, who also showed promise in his first few years, Cam went backwards . Both players morphed from promising recruits to turnover merchants. Both players had the ability to get the ball they just didn't have the footy smarts to use it to effect.

You are right OGC the thread is off track. The name Cameron O'sShea certainly evokes some passion but I will mention the name of Xavier Duursma just to get the thread back on track.

PS don't mention the name Jasper Pittard. I mentioned both O'Shea and Pittard in the same post but I think I got away with it. ;)
You've really got to be careful assessing some players.
Toby Thurstans was an extremely poor performer in minor round games but a gem in finals. Weird, but he was about our best player in the 2007 GF.
I suspect Motlop might sit in that category.
Duursma? Just to early to tell but I suspect he lies in a different category.

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's either 82 too many (give him 10 to see if he can play) or 19 too few for Port, in the hope a future father son would have traded looks for skills.
it just highlights how bad the club was back then, any other club would have shipped him out long ago, its not very often after taking a look at players over 10-20 games that the flaws they show in that period are ever rectified to take them from fringe material to certain 22 players. It seems cruel but you are better off not persevering with them and giving someone else a try

The revisionism on O'shea is shocking.

The guy was more than good for us in our good years. His 2014 was absolutely superb. Just because his career didn't kick on from then, it doesn't mean he wasn't worth persevering with. Everyone who saw him in 13 and 14 knew he had something. He may have got one year too long on the list but that's all.

To put it into perspective, we haven't had an intercept marker as good as him since 2014. Broadbent doesn't count as he's already incumbent.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
He can have the number 7 when Nephew of God retires...

51962014_358798968050009_1034950388952531059_n.jpg

The revisionism on O'shea is shocking.

The guy was more than good for us in our good years. His 2014 was absolutely superb. Just because his career didn't kick on from then, it doesn't mean he wasn't worth persevering with. Everyone who saw him in 13 and 14 knew he had something. He may have got one year too long on the list but that's all.

To put it into perspective, we haven't had an intercept marker as good as him since 2014. Broadbent doesn't count as he's already incumbent.

Speaking of revisionist history. His 2014 he spent most of the season in the SANFL. Had a good finals series admittedly but that was about it.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
There's something about this kid that I like. Rough around the edges, but his work rate and speed is noticeable. As he matures he's going to be a very, very good player.

Back