News Xavier Duursma departs for Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

1556533470172.png
PORT ADELAIDE youngster Xavier Duursma has known veteran teammate Travis Boak for just six months, but the former Power skipper has already had a profound influence on the promising midfielder.
Ahead of Boak's 250th game in Port's blockbuster clash with Collingwood at Marvel Stadium on Friday night, Duursma, 18, revealed he quickly came to model himself on the 30-year-old.
"Stevie Motlop is my main mentor but Boaky has been fantastic too. I'm really looking up to him and hopefully I can be like him one day," Duursma
told AFL.com.au after earning the round six nomination for the NAB AFL Rising Star.
He probably trains harder than anyone, he's always the last one off the track, he's always doing extras and ice baths and massages. I model myself on that.
"I always try to prep the best I can, and I try to train as hard as I can every single time. I worked as hard as I could over the pre-season and hopefully it's set me up for the year. It's been working so far."
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-29/bullseye-power-hit-the-mark-with-second-rising-star-nominee

Tis bloody great ... two noms now ... :D:p

I am so glad this kid has had the start that he's had. I reckon Duursma has been the most consistent out of the 4 Port debutants, with only Rozee being better. He is definitely putting Foster on the map like what Heppell and Roughead have done with Leongatha.

Has certainly been a distraction to what I've been subjected to this year.

Do the Duursma!
That could catch on
View attachment 664491
PORT ADELAIDE youngster Xavier Duursma has known veteran teammate Travis Boak for just six months, but the former Power skipper has already had a profound influence on the promising midfielder.
Ahead of Boak's 250th game in Port's blockbuster clash with Collingwood at Marvel Stadium on Friday night, Duursma, 18, revealed he quickly came to model himself on the 30-year-old.
"Stevie Motlop is my main mentor but Boaky has been fantastic too. I'm really looking up to him and hopefully I can be like him one day," Duursma
told AFL.com.au after earning the round six nomination for the NAB AFL Rising Star.
He probably trains harder than anyone, he's always the last one off the track, he's always doing extras and ice baths and massages. I model myself on that.
"I always try to prep the best I can, and I try to train as hard as I can every single time. I worked as hard as I could over the pre-season and hopefully it's set me up for the year. It's been working so far."
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-29/bullseye-power-hit-the-mark-with-second-rising-star-nominee

Tis bloody great ... two noms now ... :D:p
Modelling his prep, recovery and work ethic on Boak. Bloody brilliant!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The former Gippsland Power captain and Vic Country representative collected a career-high 24 possessions (including 12 contested) and slotted a goal, after which he unleashed what has already become his trademark bow-and-arrow goal celebration.

"I knew that if I did something like that as a young player, some people would probably have a few question marks over it. But I don't care – I'm just going to keep doing it anyway."

legend
Takes notes Ken.

This is the Port Adelaide attitude.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The board is anti-Duursma because Macca and Portia are anti-Duursma, but those two are heavily outweighed by the draft watchers around the country who do rate him. I'm not jumping for joy over this pick but I'll give him a chance.

I think there are quite a few people with egg on their face over this guy and rozee. Our recruiting last year really couldn't have been better.

Last edited:
I think there are quite a few people with egg on their face over this guy and rozee. Or recruiting last year really couldn't have been better.
I am hoping that by the end of this season quite a few posters will have egg on their faces as it will mean we have been successful in many aspects. Bring it on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back