News Xavier Duursma departs for Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought we could use a feel good story right about now...

So a good mate of mine works with the coach of the Emergency Services side that played against the ADF All Stars on Anzac Day, a passionate Port man.

He (the coach) takes in interstate draftees for the club and currently Duursma and Hayes live with him. Reckons you couldn't meet 2 nicer kids.

He was heading to training to coach the side in the lead up to the Anzac game and both boys say to him "want us to come along and help out of you need a hand with anything?". They went along, moved cones, ran water and got around the boys.

Game day of the Anzac clash and Duursma asks Ken if it would be OK if he could go and help out the boys until he has to head to the rooms himself to get ready for our game. Ken let him.

He (Duursma) sat in the box on the clipboard, went out at quarter time to encourage and hand out some water.

After that he had to go back to the rooms and get himself ready.

He (Duursma) makes his way out there again for his first warm up when they walk around the ground, he runs over to the Emergency Services huddle at 3 quarter time to give the lads another pat on the back and some more encouragement. He then walks past the ADF side and says to the whole group "thank you for your service".

Nothing groundbreaking but I thought to myself, what a wonderful young man :hearts:

So a good mate of mine works with the coach of the Emergency Services side that played against the ADF All Stars on Anzac Day, a passionate Port man.

He (the coach) takes in interstate draftees for the club and currently Duursma and Hayes live with him. Reckons you couldn't meet 2 nicer kids.

He was heading to training to coach the side in the lead up to the Anzac game and both boys say to him "want us to come along and help out of you need a hand with anything?". They went along, moved cones, ran water and got around the boys.

Game day of the Anzac clash and Duursma asks Ken if it would be OK if he could go and help out the boys until he has to head to the rooms himself to get ready for our game. Ken let him.

He (Duursma) sat in the box on the clipboard, went out at quarter time to encourage and hand out some water.

He (Duursma) makes his way out there again for his first warm up when they walk around the ground, he runs over to the Emergency Services huddle at 3 quarter time to give the lads another pat on the back and some more encouragement. He then walks past the ADF side and says to the whole group "thank you for your service".

Nothing groundbreaking but I thought to myself, what a wonderful young man :hearts:
Future leader right there.

Mature beyond his years in many ways.

Nice lad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good country footy lad, and why we lose very few of them by choice, be they from Vic Country U/18 teams the Pioneers and Bushrangers, NSW country lads who sometimes play for the Bushrangers over the border and WA country lads.

Xavier Duursma probably won't get into Rising Star consideration because he just doesn't get the media attention.

It is a pity because he would be the best of our crop of draftees right now. He doesn't have the absolute mercurial talent of Rozee but he has been incredibly consistent.

He runs hard for km after km every game. He wins hard contested ball when it's his turn and runs hard outside to get uncontested ball. He can take a hanger of a pack mark and hits the scoreboard regularly.

He looks like he will have a big strong body in a couple of years and could be a midfield beast with his running power.

Kane said Connor reminded him of a young Fyfe. For me it's Duursma. No pressure but he is such a young professional AFL player.

So looking forward to his development. Was probably the least heralded of our draft picks, now looks the most inspired selection.

Puts his head and body in places were there aren't any spaces. That sort of stuff cannot be coached into a player, it's completely natural footy instincts.

And on the plus side, when Rozee dropped him in it, "in the day, he was always good with the women";) Life just doesn't get any better.

And to think Macca19 and Butters Made Me Do It both said and I quote from the podcast
"Cant believe we picked duursma he is literally the worst player of all time fold the club"
Shame.
Fk off Duursma... Haha..
They do an awesome job and it's mandatory draft listening, and the drinks were flowing.. but everytime Duursma does well that's my first thought..
😎

He seems to be getting better with every game. Right now would be second or third in the rising star behind Walsh and maybe Smith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back