Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Clayton Oliver was rated as possible first rounder at seasons end. Then kept going up was rated at 10 right upto the draft and when Melbourne were rumoured that they were going to pick him with one of their early pick, people thought they were nuts. I still recall hoping he'd be available at our Pick 12.

People were worried about his fitness. He was fat as a junior.

He also did not play the nationals

He also won the Morris Medal.

After I watched his videos and all other potential draftees, I had rated him as my number 2 behind Weiters.

My judgement was purely based on highlight videos. Seeing Oliver boss it has come as no surprise.

Stocker's video shows he has the traits. His videos are more impressive than most. I am so confident we will look back at this trade/draft as one of our best

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Everyone wanted Oliver. We wanted him, it was funny to watch him fly up the draft board. He just kept rising, several teams wanted him, he rose up and we were taking him, then Melbourne, then Essendon, and then Melbs had to use pick 3 on him.

Don't setting out to diminish the achievement of taking out the Morrish Medal, but Nick Graham won it 6 years ago.

It just worries me to hear he's apparently a poor runner.
It worries me less if it is 'fixable' but if not, there isn't a place on the ground we'll be able to hide him.

It worries me more that people are so easily led. None of us know NONE, Stocker was told by Richmond he needed to do extra training which he did.
Unless people are directly involved with our in house testing results anything said here is spurious.
Secondly Bolts clearly stated we just want you to bring your competitiveness, he does that he succeeds.
Back our new process in, Trust Russell to do his job and get our Elite young talent up and running at a level required by modern AFL.

Ok, Stocker is NOT a poor runner. He didn’t get the miles in his legs earlier this year because of an injury. Tigers said to do more training if he wanted to be where we need you to be at the start of preseason.

For anyone to think that an elite junior mid is a ‘poor’ runner is just ridiculous, why? Because it is all relative to the age group.

His VO, beep, agility and sprint tests over 2YEARS are spot on for his age and better than average in 3 of the 4 areas.

For those that ask did we have him at 6, yes. That’s overall not just for our needs. In front of Smith...

tigers win a flag after 40 years of crap and are now the barometer of all things fitness? **** that

That’s how it sounds!

More that they put some fear into Stocker so he would put in before they would consider drafting him...

Hopefully we showed them the middle finger just before we sent through the draft selection!

Always good to screw the tigers!!

For those that ask did we have him at 6, yes. That’s overall not just for our needs. In front of Smith...

That's going to surprise some on this board.
I guess people would love to know what the knocks were on Smith.

Could never get excited by him, but must say that rating Stocker ahead of Smith, may raise some eyebrows.

Could never get excited by him, but must say that rating Stocker ahead of Smith, may raise some eyebrows.

Don’t think ‘knocks’ is the opinion, more so upside.

For me it’s break away speed from a contest, power. He just gets it and his first thought is to go and go hard. Good luck stopping him with a bit of muscle!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Stocker as having more overall class than Smith. That includes disposal efficiency, manoeuvrability through traffic and vision.

I see Stocker as having more overall class than Smith. That includes disposal efficiency, manoeuvrability through traffic and vision.

Really? I'll take your word for it, although I just couldn't really buy into what Smith had to sell.
He should become a very good player, without being an outstanding one.

The evidence was clear that Walsh had the more class and even though I didn't see Stocker live, I didn't get the impression he'd be the better bet than Smith, unless something was truly awry with Smith.

Anyway, we can go on with this for a long time and Stocker is ours. Can't wait to watch him and I do feel i'll be watching him a lot........which isn't a bad thing.

Ok, Stocker is NOT a poor runner. He didn’t get the miles in his legs earlier this year because of an injury. Tigers said to do more training if he wanted to be where we need you to be at the start of preseason.

For anyone to think that an elite junior mid is a ‘poor’ runner is just ridiculous, why? Because it is all relative to the age group.

His VO, beep, agility and sprint tests over 2YEARS are spot on for his age and better than average in 3 of the 4 areas.

I suspected SOS had him ahead of Smith when the "top 6" talk came out considering they both played at Sandi. I also can see why, I think his game is more well rounded and has more AFL qualities

Really? I'll take your word for it, although I just couldn't really buy into what Smith had to sell.
He should become a very good player, without being an outstanding one.

The evidence was clear that Walsh had the more class and even though I didn't see Stocker live, I didn't get the impression he'd be the better bet than Smith, unless something was truly awry with Smith.

Anyway, we can go on with this for a long time and Stocker is ours. Can't wait to watch him and I do feel i'll be watching him a lot........which isn't a bad thing.
Smith runs into traffic a lot and got away with it due to bring more physically advanced than a lot of the guys he ran into. I can see Stocker being ahead of Smith, even if I didn’t have that pre draft.

So second best midfielder in the draft? Rankine counting as a forward and a pair of Kings. Maybe Rozee snuck in before him....
Either way that is a huge call in such a deep draft, one that I am more than prepared to give SOS and team the benefit of the doubt on. If he is as good as they think, we could have a monster on our hands. His clean strong hands and physicality stand out even now, the only area of concern- his running can be explained by the early season injury and if his vitals - VO etc are ok, then really there is no weakness. The only thing that could hold him back is his mental strength/attitude, and looking at his interviews, I would be very surprised if this becomes an issue at all- he seems very focused

Finally, someone

Who can see clearly now the rain is gone
I can see the A. F. L. in our way
Gone are the deck chairs that had me fall
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
Bright (bright) sunshiny year
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
Bright (bright) sunshiny year

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Look straight ahead ,there's nothing but blue skies..