Toast - Pick #19 - Welcome to Carlton Liam Stocker | Page 37 | BigFooty

Toast Pick #19 - Welcome to Carlton Liam Stocker

Discussion in 'Carlton' started by Aphrodite, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Heres Waite

Heres Waite Club Legend

Carlton
    I agree with the Bolts-SOS thing. I just mentioned in my previous post about how I think SOS and Brodie sold the idea to Bolts who I think may have been a bit apprehensive about it. He obviously came around though as the trade happened and all seem very happy. Bolts says “backed yourself in mate”. I think it was nothing more than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Heres Waite

Heres Waite Club Legend

Carlton
    “Oh ... by the way ... what are you wearing?”
    “Oh ... sorry ... no, not you Reidy ... wrong phone”

3. jezzajay

jezzajay Premiership Player

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Sturt, 49ers, Giants, Lakers
    Makes sense...cheers

tencentpiece likes this.
  4. Jimmae

Jimmae Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Tennessee Titans, Tottenham Hotspur
    SOS was doing everything in his power not to scream '**** YES' when talking to Bolts, and instead managed a fist pump before the handshake.

5. Farktherest

Farktherest Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    They've made no secret that he needs to improve his endurance...doubt he'd play round 1 over our other young mids.

F the Rest likes this.
  6. TerryWallet

TerryWallet Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Yeah, it's gonna be tougher for each intake to walk straight in the team.

For instance, SPS or LOB only had to be better than Graham or Kerridge to get a game early. Stocker has to be better than SPS or LOB.

Little bits i've picked up the last week or so suggest that Russell will be taking a little while to get Setters and Stocker "tuned" for performance first.

Walsh on the other hand is already ready. Just a tad of time for the other 2 first i think.

7. AT97

AT97 Senior List

Carlton
    No doubting he puts in an inordinate amount of research time into posting his thoughts on draftees. In my view he also seems to be drunk/high on the adulation his sycophants lay at his feet, which In turn emboldens him to make outlandish comments.

8. TD2010

TD2010 All Australian

Carlton
    Agree. Just after Stocker got interviewed SOS looked at Bolts twice with a very happy look and then fist pumped.

The handshake at the end is SOS back in his shell, business mode. He's a very shy man by nature.
    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

9. Farktherest

Farktherest Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Yep which is absolutely fine.
    We've been so bad over the years that we've become conditioned to our kids playing seniors immediately...

I'll be happy to see more kids like Stocker and Setterfield playing in the 2's at least at the start of the season, to me it would mean it's a sign we've finally got enough depth to not have to throw any high draft pick into the starting 22.

10. TerryWallet

TerryWallet Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    I couldn't believe how a lot of people(well maybe half a dozen nongs on a BigFooty thread:)) saw Jayden Stephenson's body language when shaking Buckleys hand after getting drafted last year as negative.

I saw a kid who was so overwhelmed and grateful that a club had shown faith in him after the late heart scare had him supposedly dropping off the end of the earth. I came on BigFooty to comment how great it was only to find people saying his body language sucked:eek:

11. passmark

passmark Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Now replace Reid with Homer Simpson and it still works!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Pafloyul

Pafloyul Premiership Player

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Carlton
    I would have liked to have seen SOS get just that little bit more despondent knowing that pick 16 wasn't happening just to see the mood suddenly change when he realised his plan just might be on after all as clubs started taking other players. Perhaps when they film the remake they can play up that scene a bit more. ;)

ferrisb and Arr0w like this.
  13. SOSforPM

SOSforPM Senior List

Carlton
    Didn’t help Brodie that bolts had already shaken his hand and threw another in for good measure while he waited for SOS to turn around... Brodie was like WTF are you doing little man.

DIG likes this.
  14. Wily trout

Wily trout Team Captain

Carlton
    Loved the little celebration of SOS. Also loved the WTF look exchange with SOS when Reid asked for the name of the player. Brilliant stuff. Funny thing was, when watching the drama unfold I was getting tense and almost holding my breath, but already knowing the outcome...weird

15. PrinceCharles

PrinceCharles Club Legend

Carlton
    'Wheel him out' - was my favourite.

NewDarkNavyBlues likes this.
  16. footyfan78

footyfan78 Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    there are no other teams worthy
    Indeed. Was my pet hate for last couple of decades. Amazing in a few years turned it totally on its head to be at the forefront of the new era of future pick trading and live draft trading. I think most clubs were a bit shy and wanted to see other clubs take the plunge first. In a few years time other clubs will fully embrace it too.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  17. AB_Blue

AB_Blue Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea FC
    Great Vid.

To get a player they rated at 6 knowing that the tigers were ready to pounce at 20

Marvellous trading that.....

18. Coona Blues

Coona Blues Premium Platinum

Carlton
  19. footyfan78

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    and second half explaining it only happening when Crows on the clock and not before. Surprising how Reid did not get that straight away.

20. footyfan78

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    They were a bit more rude on phone in Draft Day. He calls the other guy a pancake eating mother******. I guess in NFL they can get away with being so rude to each other as if they screw the other dealer over the chances of needing to do a deal again in future with an upset opposition is slim. Think there are 32 clubs in that draft and you may do a trade with a specific club only once a decade. Chances of same guy in charge slim.

In AFL they still got to be on good terms as you could need to trade with that club a year or two later.

21. IronMan29

IronMan29 All Australian

Carlton
    Duursma was still available after their pick 16 and at the time Reid wanted to do th3 deal.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

F the Rest likes this.
  22. Blue__Balls

Blue__Balls Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Nope. Adelaide were just trying to get us to commit to the trade for 19 five or six picks ahead of time. Wanted more from us to give up 16, but we weren't interested.

No egg on Reid's face. Take an imaginary look in their war-room and imagine the club execs and whatnot hovering around. If Reid had just said "Yes sir, Mr Silvagni, sir, whatever you say sir" he'd probably have been sacked for failing to do his due diligence in securing a the most favourable trade for his club. He knew full well what the process needed to be from our end, he just needed to make sure he was asking the right questions.

23. CJMB

CJMB Club Legend

Carlton
    A bit like O'Brien or Fisher, possibly? Maybe debut around round 4 or 5 and play somewhere around 15-17 games

24. Schulzenfest

Schulzenfest Hall of Famer

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Toronto Raptors
    Nothing to do with my club but thought I'd have a look at that video. Good on the Blues for releasing that sort of inner sanctum content, it's always super interesting.

For the record I would've been happy with my club taking Stocker at #12, let alone #18. I reckon that kid is gonna make a few recruiters look silly. And hopefully with the return of Docherty and the additions of Walsh, Setterfield, McGovern, Fasolo, Newman and Stocker without really losing anyone of value, your mob can finish near or above the Crows and make their recruiter look doubly silly.

25. Jabba73

Jabba73 Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Vixens
    Nice post Schadenfreudefest

Jonts, ferrisb, MightyBlue and 7 others like this.