Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that means it's time to start a Round 1 preview thread.....

In unrelated news, does anyone know when Aph goes on holidays? :)

To my inbox bearing pineapples

Must say that the opening scenes of that video struck me as being just a little odd.
The fact that the group were discussing the pros of Stocker and then even watching video of him, is something that would have been done days out from the draft.
The whole notion of making a play for Stocker was already afoot, given some of the dialogue between SOS, Adelaide & Port Adelaide.

If this did play out as is being portrayed, Bolton must have had no idea what was going on. How could this be so?
Surely the coach of the club has some input or at least has taken out the time to see some vision of who may be coming into the club.
This video had Bolton shown up as having no idea at all, as he even requested the number of the player he was to be looking at.

Anyway, the video did get a lot of people talking and even if a little doctored, made for fascinating viewing.
Nothing uncertain to me... the team had planned to potentially doing a trade IF one of the players they rated slipped...they would not have known it was Stocker! Probably only half the people in that room had been involved in scouting and watching footage and as we were doing a trade that required approval from the board and higher members of the club they wanted to show them what we were purchasing.

Taranto pls, even if it costs a bit more

Number 1 on my wish list

Offer him as much as anyone else would money wise and throw 2 first rounders on the table day 1 of trade week.

If that (or similar) happens this trade is a huge victory

Last edited:

Pretty obvious to me watching the latest video on the Stocker deal - that SOS and his team were emphatically for Stocker and Bolton was happy to go with their decision based on the team's rankings. SOS started the video saying that his team rated Stocker in top6. There was an emphatic acknowledgement by one of the team directly to Bolton saying " you've got yourself a beast of a midfielder here " or words to that effect - after the deal was done.

Looked like the whole team thought they had got a 'steal' and both Judd and Bolton were going with the recruiting team's call, a call which was speculated on and planned for but in no way of fashion a done deal until Stocker unexpectedly fell to pick#19 and Adelaide were prepared to swap picks ( indicating at least a decent working relationship I would have thought)

as for Bolton's input into the whole scenario that would have occurred prior to video footage - during video footage he and most on camera were 'passengers' if you like - but also obvious that the focus was on bolstering the midfield as much as possible was a clear 'wish from coach' otherwise the dealwouldl never have been considered.

Clearly Bolton and Judd were there to 'present jumpers' and welcome any new draftees - Stocker was an unexpected bonus - well organised and executed.

Lions had the fab four in early 2000's of Vossy, Lappin, Black and Aka. Plus a very handy smaller Luke Power.
We have every opportunity if we develop Stocker and other recent mids drafted to have our own fab 4 or 5 next decade.
SPS, Dow, Walsh and Fisher all very confident myself will be the goods. If Setterfield, Stocker and Kennedy join them with an older Crippa we will have serious makings of a true dynasty by mid period of next decade. I think some Carlton fans do not realise just how much talent we have brought in to develop in last 4 drafts. It is incredible. Get up and about....in two or three years. But enjoy the journey of development in next couple. Stocker could be the icing on a dynasty cake the likes not seen since 1950's...
My lid is gone.

Lions had the fab four in early 2000's of Vossy, Lappin, Black and Aka. Plus a very handy smaller Luke Power.
We have every opportunity if we develop Stocker and other recent mids drafted to have our own fab 4 or 5 next decade.
SPS, Dow, Walsh and Fisher all very confident myself will be the goods. If Setterfield, Stocker and Kennedy join them with an older Crippa we will have serious makings of a true dynasty by mid period of next decade. I think some Carlton fans do not realise just how much talent we have brought in to develop in last 4 drafts. It is incredible. Get up and about....in two or three years. But enjoy the journey of development in next couple. Stocker could be the icing on a dynasty cake the likes not seen since 1950's...
My lid is gone.
Gotta be a joke...

It's interesting watching the StKilda clip (although I have never seen such incompetence, indecision, lack of planning and even unprofessional ism), but they didn't contemplate Stocker. We will either be geniuses or ....... for the record, I do like the limited I have seen. A little Treloar about this kid.

It's interesting watching the StKilda clip (although I have never seen such incompetence, indecision, lack of planning and even unprofessional ism), but they didn't contemplate Stocker. We will either be geniuses or ....... for the record, I do like the limited I have seen. A little Treloar about this kid.
Except Stocker can hit up a team mate inside 50.

For all his ball winning ability, that is something Treloar really lacks in his game and it stops him from being considered elite.

Yeah the lack of preparedness was quite surprising - particularly when contrasted with the Carlton video. Fortunately that gives us some confidence that we have a smart professional and adaptable team in the list management section.

Interesting that Adelaide thought we were much more likely to finish lower than St Kilda when they offered Future 1st and 36 for 19 and Crows Future first.

My lid is gone.

We have some serious talent on the list - no doubt. Not just midfield.
That is 8 geniune young midfielders and doesn't include players like Polson, Cuningham, Lang, Pickett, Garlett. I believe Polson will join the above list!
Hopefully our coaches step up and put it all together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have some serious talent on the list - no doubt. Not just midfield.
That is 8 geniune young midfielders and doesn't include players like Polson, Cuningham, Lang, Pickett, Garlett. I believe Polson will join the above list!
Hopefully our coaches step up and put it all together.

Not had this depth of skill level for mids since Ashman, Buckley, Sheldon, Keogh, Armstrong, Harmes, Marcou, Catoggio, Young and Francis all on list together. Probably cannot count Vinnie as a genuine mid. Not sure if he ever roved when Ashman and Sheldon rested forward. Still even into early 1980's when Armstrong, Keogh and Francis all gone they were replaced with Wells, Maylin, Glascott and Marchesani. Then when Wells retired, Dominator started to play more midfield from 1984 onwards and added Blackwell too and then Bradley and Naley in mid 1980's. Then Gleeson. Had a lot of depth in midfield until Ashman, Sheldon and Buckley went. Later 80's was not as strong as early 80's. This young group we got now, could be most talented since the Ashman, Sheldon and Buckley era. We were not far off 4 flags in a row in that era. Hoping this 2020's can rival it as time goes on.

I feel a little sorry for Stocker, for a pick 19 he is going to have pick 1 pressure.

Once these live trades become more common place, supporters will handle the trades better, but at the moment Stocker is the test case.
Nah, no concerns here. Kid looks and speaks like a professional. Level-headed and goal orientated. Knows what he needs to do to play footy.

Not had this depth of skill level for mids since Ashman, Buckley, Sheldon, Keogh, Armstrong, Harmes, Marcou, Catoggio, Young and Francis all on list together. Probably cannot count Vinnie as a genuine mid. Not sure if he ever roved when Ashman and Sheldon rested forward. Still even into early 1980's when Armstrong, Keogh and Francis all gone they were replaced with Wells, Maylin, Glascott and Marchesani. Then when Wells retired, Dominator started to play more midfield from 1984 onwards and added Blackwell too and then Bradley and Naley in mid 1980's. Then Gleeson. Had a lot of depth in midfield until Ashman, Sheldon and Buckley went. Later 80's was not as strong as early 80's. This young group we got now, could be most talented since the Ashman, Sheldon and Buckley era. We were not far off 4 flags in a row in that era. Hoping this 2020's can rival it as time goes on.
Very good and I agree . The one thing I will add is that they all had great strength and fitness which is what Jezza instilled and Parkin maintained.

My favourite Carlton era. Great side. Paul Meldrum was good as well. This group has the same feeling if not better.

My favourite Carlton era. Great side. Paul Meldrum was good as well. This group has the same feeling if not better.

Agree my favourite era as well. Just unbelievable to a bluebagger.
79, 81, 82 - 3 premiership years and should have been 4 if it wasn’t for the infight after 79.
We can only hope that this group reach such levels.
Having said that they partied as hard as they played.......:D

That 95' midfield whilst aging went OK as well. Bradley, Ratten, Brown, Kouta, Camporeale, Williams, Hanna. It's interesting that after Diesel was moved away from being the keystone that the players around him found another gear.

That 95' midfield whilst aging went OK as well. Bradley, Ratten, Brown, Kouta, Camporeale, Williams, Hanna. It's interesting that after Diesel was moved away from being the keystone that the players around him found another gear.

It had quality but not the same depth of quality as early 80's super team. Hence why only got one flag. 1994 was lost opportunity. We should have got two flags from the group.

I think Crippa, Dow, SPS, Fisher, Walsh, Setterfield, Kennedy, O'Brien and Stocker have the potential to be a super midfield group in 2 or 3 years time.

It had quality but not the same depth of quality as early 80's super team. Hence why only got one flag. 1994 was lost opportunity. We should have got two flags from the group.

I think Crippa, Dow, SPS, Fisher, Walsh, Setterfield, Kennedy, O'Brien and Stocker have the potential to be a super midfield group in 2 or 3 years time.

Yeah 96' was travelling OK as well until the mid year injuries. Amongst that group named there is one confirmed gun and a big chunk of hope. Will be a great day as a supporter again if they all join Crippa.

Dont forget Murphy. I reckon he will go well without that captaincy. Run him on a wing into half forward....still got 5 years. It's foolish to write him off so soon.

And while we are at it don't forget Fraser Murphy as a great gut running depth and handy finisher in that marvellous era.