Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, I forgot about Tex.

RT has shown he is capable at SANFL level.

I don't expect to play Finals in 2021. RT is better suited playing AFL than SANFL.

At 100kg, and no doubt a couple more by round 1, he won't be outbodied by many defenders.

The pace may get him, so will need rests.

But should play round 1.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Im playing him too. The problem is expectations.

If he plays a game as a first year 18 year old and looks like one and the knives come out.

I’m glad we gifted McAsey early games. He played about as well as you could reasonably expect. Especially considering how bad the team was overall. There was a chance he could do better than what is reasonable, but he didn’t. And the knives came out. People with an agenda against Hamish and the fact that they think they are world class AFL scouts were out in force to bash the kid...

You see our “experts” writing off Jones as well.. even though our coaches were so bad that we had to sack them all... forget the fact we have just completed our two worst years in our clubs history...

Play TT for sure, but to me it’s about giving him the gold pass to help fast track him a bit... if he does better... party time.

IMO there is a better than even chance that a fair chuck of BF will be calling him a bust this time next year... mainly due to unreasonable expectations.

If he plays a game as a first year 18 year old and looks like one and the knives come out.

I’m glad we gifted McAsey early games. He played about as well as you could reasonably expect. Especially considering how bad the team was overall. There was a chance he could do better than what is reasonable, but he didn’t. And the knives came out. People with an agenda against Hamish and the fact that they think they are world class AFL scouts were out in force to bash the kid...

You see our “experts” writing off Jones as well.. even though our coaches were so bad that we had to sack them all... forget the fact we have just completed our two worst years in our clubs history...

Play TT for sure, but to me it’s about giving him the gold pass to help fast track him a bit... if he does better... party time.

IMO there is a better than even chance that a fair chuck of BF will be calling him a bust this time next year... mainly due to unreasonable expectations.
I'd be a little more circumspect here, he has managed groin soreness this year. I would have him on a very managed plan over his 1st preseason to ensure we can get him through it but without the groin issues. Then next year I would be well prepared for him to have a few games in the main side but play primarily in the SANFL side so we can give him time to make sure the groin soreness is a thing of the past and get him better up to speed. End of next year then calls for a big preseason to get ready for 2022. I hope he will be a 15 year player with us so year 1 in my eyes is very much a cotton wool year to make as sure as we can any lingering injury is a thing of the past

I am a big McAsey fan, albeit think he is more a forward than defender.

But can see him and Butts being our KPD pillars once Talia retires. So my want for McAsey up forward has waned. Especially now.

I am a big McAsey fan, albeit think he is more a forward than defender.

But can see him and Butts being our KPD pillars once Talia retires. So my want for McAsey up forward has waned. Especially now.

I’m a big McAsey fan too. But I like him as a defender. I have no issue with taking a pick 6 KPD either. At the end of the day it’s now McAsey + Pedlar for that first rounder now isn’t it? Or was Pedlar the one we traded up for.. either cook or Pedlar... absolutely brilliant whatever it worked out to be.

I really like Butts too. I really like the look of our young list now.. I just want to see them get games and when you go to the footy and hear the groans every time a young player doesn’t slam it on the boot up the ground 😆... it’s not a fan base that is used to a rebuild... it’s gonna be interesting to see if the club / Nicks have got the balls to rebuild despite the groans and the 500,000 crows fans that all know better 😂😂😂...

I’d love a year where we completely suck, but we can see young player development ... have the oldest SANFL side and youngest AFL side.. bottom spot gives us Horne and we put 18-22 games into 10-15 of our under 22 players. yes please. But bloody hell can you imagine how the loud the groans and frustration at the ground would be.

I reckon Fog is getting fit to play Lynch's role. Or even rotate in the middle.

Then have Hberg/RT up forward. RT to Ruck.
Hberg is a terrible Ruck, keep him 100% forward.

RT is as mobile as any forward. So the two big talls can work.

MacAdam, Rowe, Resting mid.

He is not a lead ruck, but he is a good second ruck. Not sure we’ve been watching the same games.

I’m a big McAsey fan too. But I like him as a defender. I have no issue with taking a pick 6 KPD either. At the end of the day it’s now McAsey + Pedlar for that first rounder now isn’t it? Or was Pedlar the one we traded up for.. either cook or Pedlar... absolutely brilliant whatever it worked out to be.

I really like Butts too. I really like the look of our young list now.. I just want to see them get games and when you go to the footy and hear the groans every time a young player doesn’t slam it on the boot up the ground 😆... it’s not a fan base that is used to a rebuild... it’s gonna be interesting to see if the club / Nicks have got the balls to rebuild despite the groans and the 500,000 crows fans that all know better 😂😂😂...

I’d love a year where we completely suck, but we can see young player development ... have the oldest SANFL side and youngest AFL side.. bottom spot gives us Horne and we put 18-22 games into 10-15 of our under 22 players. yes please. But bloody hell can you imagine how the loud the groans and frustration at the ground would be.
Correct, it was pick 4 -> 6, 9 in the end.

or Ash -> McAsey + Pedlar

But as we know, that must be a bad deal because Reid has no idea.

Terrible is harsh, I hope RT is better.

Much prefer Hberg closer to goal and not have to Ruck.

I dont know.. i actually think the opposite in regards to Himm.. rather him pushing up the ground.. i thought his best work this year was clunking marks between the centre half forward line and the wings firing off handballs to the mids that then streamed past him.. helping providing that “lynch-like” tall connector between the defense and forward lines.. hes got a pretty good tank that will only get better.

Would rather fog and tilly closer to goals.. much more reliable and accurate in front of the sticks than Himm is..

But I also see tilly working up the ground too.

Also.. Just love the thought of fog being left inside 50 one on one and having space to lead into..

Gonna be interesting to see how these guys gel in the next couple of years...

i thought his best work this year was clunking marks between the centre half forward line and the wings firing off handballs to the mids that then streamed past him.

This reminds me of what I was thinking pre-draft about the benefit of going with RT. Is it just me or has it become more important than ever to have a guy that can clunk a mark from that first or second kick out of defense. That down the line kick which often comes back or at best you get it out of bounds or for a ball up. The big yank doing that for the pies a couple of prelims ago comes to mind. Reckon he paid them back all their investment into him in the one game (included 4 goals from memory).

I think EH did a couple of those last year, but mostly we have relied on our ROB. But the good think about having EH and RT in the team as well is it gives us more options for that type of down the line marker.

Fog needs to be close to goals. His goal kicking accuracy is elite. Hopefully, Rowe is another accurate goal kicker. If those two start kicking straight, it probably straightens up the whole forward line (for some reason good goal kicking feels to me like its contagious).

Riley will play some games but we do need to be realistic with our expectations. Even though he is physically fairly developed, he is still tall 18 year old that will take a bit of time but it will be well worth the wait.

I am very confident that both McAsey and Thilthorpe will be very very good AFL players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But one of the votes for DGB was a flip of the coin for him or TT. Shows it was all pretty close, so go needs or local (or both!)
I was happy we went with local all picks bar one and the one that wasn't local does not seem to be a flight risk.

I was happy we went with local all picks bar one and the one that wasn't local does not seem to be a flight risk.

Particularly for a tall, who generally need a couple of years to really come on and establish a spot in the side. Those first couple of years playing SANFL and wondering if you'll ever actually make it can be pretty tough for someone missing home.

holy sh*te... he really is a big lad!.. he makes McHenry look like a fu**in jockey.

his parents would be stoked, might not have to feed him anymore now he’ll be on decent coin.. or at the least they can make the big bastard stump up some money to put towards the food bill...
His dad is a lawyer, he'd have had no trouble feeding him.... If he put up a decent case.

We finally get a home grown talent who looks like he’s here for the long term then this :p
“A Crows supporter his whole life, Patrick Dangerfield and Kurt Tippett were some of the players he admired growing up”

Last edited:
We finally get a home grown talent who looks like he’s here for the long terms be then this :p
“A Crows supporter his whole life, Patrick Dangerfield and Kurt Tippett were some of the players he admired growing up”
Haha... but when they played for the Crows as opposed to leaving.

Riley will play some games but we do need to be realistic with our expectations. Even though he is physically fairly developed, he is still tall 18 year old that will take a bit of time but it will be well worth the wait.

I am very confident that both McAsey and Thilthorpe will be very very good AFL players.

I think Thilthorpe will follow a similar path to McAsey last year. I think he play early with planned breaks during the year.

The issue will be breaking the news to Tex that he's playing SANFL.

Wonder if donkey Frampton might be able to plug a hole in defence now Hartigan is gone, he is a long way back in the forward line pecking order.
Punching the ball is more his thing. He has concrete hands, can't mark for shyt.

Wonder if donkey Frampton might be able to plug a hole in defence now Hartigan is gone, he is a long way back in the forward line pecking order.
Punching the ball is more his thing. He has concrete hands, can't mark for shyt.
Doubt it.

Reckon his best chance of playing will be as cover for ROB.

Even in defence he is well back in the pecking order

A really strange decision to give Billy a 3 year deal

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back