Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe

Remove this Banner Ad

What a great debut. Has he even played that well in 2 and a bit seasons at SANFL level? He has been in struggling SANFL sides which wouldn’t help.

Loved that crumbing goal. Just naturally took it in the left hand and guided down on to the right boot in the one action. And those leaps and strong marks. Good set shot on goal.

Structure up with Walker and Himmelberg and let Thilthorpe just play. Looked like he was enjoying himself which was great to see.
I feel as though he is the type of player that will perform better the higher level he plays. The delivery into the forward 50 and clean ball movement of the AFL compared to the SANFL suits his game really well. He looked so comfortable out there already.

I feel as though he is the type of player that will perform better the higher level he plays. The delivery into the forward 50 and clean ball movement of the AFL compared to the SANFL suits his game really well. He looked so comfortable out there already.

Amazing what a small difference like the ball not being kicked 5 m over your head regularly does to your performance ;).

Our defense is really calling out for a second tall who has the potential to be a gun intercept defender getting game time. Preferably someone who has been in real good nick in the SANFL. Shame we don't have anyone like that.

Haven’t you just described Josh Worr-ohhhh I see what you did there.

What a great debut. Has he even played that well in 2 and a bit seasons at SANFL level? He has been in struggling SANFL sides which wouldn’t help.

Loved that crumbing goal. Just naturally took it in the left hand and guided down on to the right boot in the one action. And those leaps and strong marks. Good set shot on goal.

Structure up with Walker and Himmelberg and let Thilthorpe just play. Looked like he was enjoying himself which was great to see.

Spot on with the bolded. The three-pronged structure allows TT his freedom.
Fog is basically a separate problem. I don't think it's right to take the simplistic view that "we're too tall".

Spot on with the bolded. The three-pronged structure allows TT his freedom.
Fog is basically a separate problem. I don't think it's right to take the simplistic view that "we're too tall".
I know it is early, but I would go the other way, tell Walker to play in that 50-100m from goal zone and get Himmelberg and the smalls high up around the 50m arc and isolate Thilthorpe deep one out and tell whoever is kicking it there to put it on the right side of the contest. He could do the old Pagan's paddock trick. While he is still young and learning his craft, it would give him the very best shot at beating his man 1 v 1 and he just looks a natural goalkicker with his action.

Edit: and if the opposition try to drop a chop out deep to help, then instruct the team to lower the eyes and spot up players around and just inside the forward 50 if there is an outnumber. Thilthorpe can also be a very useful decoy from a structural perspective if the opposition try and counter the 1 v 1 deep

Amazing what a small difference like the ball not being kicked 5 m over your head regularly does to your performance ;).
Yet Frampton had no problem marking in the SANFl. It shits me how some players look good in SANFL but dont get near it in AFL yet the guy who replaces them struggle in SANFL yet look great in AFL.

I know Riley's first two kicks in AFL were absolute clangers, but he deserves credit for 5.0

He didnt make a meal out of kicking for goal or kicking across his body with a set shot at goal, just good straight drop punts.

When you have Fyfe that kicked 0.4 over the weekend, Daniher shanking all his shots at goal and McKay needing to kick across his body with set shots, the fact that we have a player that doesnt make it a meal for kicking a set shot at goal is a massive positive.

I could be wrong here, but geez, we have some deadeye dicks kicking for goal up forward in Tex, Fog and now potentially Thilthorpe.

I cant began to tell you that accuracy is such a massive weapon in modern day footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even your coach in the coaches votes agreed Kosi was better....both gave the 1 vote. Kosi either 3/3 or 4/2.
I’d think surely that carries some weight?
Coach 1
5. O'Meara
4. Keays
3. Seedsman
2. Koschitzke
1. Tilthorpe

Coach 2
5. O'Meara
4. Koschitzke
3. Keays
2. Seedsman
1. Tilthorpe

You were right that both coaches agree he was better, just pointing out it couldn't have been 3/3

I think Koschitzke's 6 coaches votes to Thilthorpe's 2 votes is more than enough justification for his nod this week

we were shirty when Sholl's literal BOG 3 Brownlow votes didn't get him a nod so we can't have it both ways
I reckon this is more controversial. Young Roo Tom Powell beat both of them in MEGT rookie of the year voting. His numbers whilst good weren’t earth shattering...

I think most people are just marveling at his rare set of physical tools, coupled with his uncommonly high level of co-ordination and skill for a 200cm player.

Regardless of what he does for the rest of the season those attributes are constants, and people are well with in their rites to be excited about them.
Kid is only 18 and no real chance of leaving. We have sooo many more years of RT to look forward to...

I wouldn't, even in the forward line. Tex has been a rather dangerous player in the ruck contest.

Considering it's a rebuild, and the players we have at our disposal, I'd be very tempted to ditch the 2nd ruck role in its entirety for a while. Go with a forward line of Thilthorpe, Tex, Fog (with some midfield rotations) and load the rest up with small forwards or mid rotations.

I like Himmelberg a lot, and we probably don't drop him after a three goal performance, but it does seem like that is the problem position right now.
I still think Hberg is part of our future.

Don't mind the top heavy forward line for this year and next.

2023 Tex and Lynch are gone.

RT, Fog and Hberg is a good trio of Forwards to build around.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Kid is only 18 and no real chance of leaving. We have sooo many more years of RT to look forward to...

No real chance of leaving? If he keeps showing potential he's going to have million dollar contracts thrown at him real quick.

He may be a SA boy but that's a lot of temptation.

Not to mention the lure of Melbourne or Sydney for a young successful man. The night life, the girls, the opportunities off the field.

No real chance of leaving? If he keeps showing potential he's going to have million dollar contracts thrown at him real quick.

Not to mention the lure of Melbourne or Sydney for a young successful man. The night life, the girls, the opportunities off the field.
Correct. We are still having to got to pay him a massive deal, but its a bit easier to keep him given his family is here.

Lets just hope his partner is from SA. :$

Correct. We are still having to got to pay him a massive deal, but its a bit easier to keep him given his family is here.

Lets just hope his partner is from SA. :$

Oh yeah it certainly gives us more chance than we've had with some of our other young stars. But I just don't think we can count on him being a lifetime Crow automatically.

There is an unrealistic paranoia in thinking girls and nightlife has any bearing on a move in 2020s. The semi pro era of top flight football is long dead where that might be a reason to do so, especially with the advent of tinder. The trend has been footballers move to their home state, not away from it.

The only way we lose Thilthorpe is we mismanage our cap. Though likely we blow our cap trying retaining Riley if anything, ala what Collingwood did with Grundy. There isn't many opportunities locked to Melbourne that isn't here. Roo for some God known reason is a commentator as a classic AFL industry example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back