Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Watching the clip of the last two minutes this morning, I notice that when the ball was kicked in to the F50 that caused the boundary throw in before his goal, RT had a chance to leap at the ball and attack the contest, but instead was conscious of Howard and went to feel for the man, rather than attack the footy.

The improvement left in this guy is huge, and it is a scary proposition as to what his ceiling looks like.
Yeah, i've noticed it in every game here and there. Its certainly not in 100% of the time, but its often enough to know that their is plenty of room for development in this kid.

For what its worth I have every confidence that he will absorb that info and start to add it to his game

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
Yeah, i've noticed it in every game here and there. Its certainly not in 100% of the time, but its often enough to know that their is plenty of room for development in this kid.

For what its worth I have every confidence that he will absorb that info and start to add it to his game

100% he will. It is a confidence thing, and probably brought on by the fact that Howard actually played him pretty well and out-bodied him on occasions to the point where RT was feeling for the body contact.

From all reports he is a sponge and wants to improve and get better, so no doubt once he has more confidence to jump at the footy he will be pretty hard to stop.

Good to see us with the 1st and 13th best key forwards in the league, just like we all predicted in pre season

View attachment 1155707

There is something absolutely wild about an 8 game player being the 13th best key forward in the league by AFL player ranking statistics. Like it's not even just projecting that with some preseasons he'll be elite. He is almost there now.

If he stays healthy his whole career and doesn't end up a one year wonder, it's going to be a conversation between Tex and Mods for who is our number 2 all time forward.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
One thing i'd love to see Riley work on this year is really fighting for the best position when its not kicked to his advantage side. From the eye test, it seems like he can be guilty of spectating when the ball is kicked on the defenders side, and up until now his oppo defender's have probably taken a few more uncontested intercept's than they really should have (not uncommon for an 8 game player).

He's big and creative enough that when he does get to that position quicker he will probably start to out-mark the player more then he would expect. But also just bringing it to ground will set him up with advantageous opportunities, as his groundball skills will be head and shoulders above most KPD in the AFL.

It will just make him that 5% harder to play on... And for a player that's already as ridiculously dangerous as he is, adding 5% more is a scary concept!
well if I am offering up my 2 bobs worth, I'd love to see Izak Rankine operating at the drop of the ball when it heads in Thilthorpes direction..imagine the panic that would induce in defenders if those 2 were hanging around close to goal and the rest of the team pushed up outside forward 50.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
One thing i'd love to see Riley work on this year is really fighting for the best position when its not kicked to his advantage side. From the eye test, it seems like he can be guilty of spectating when the ball is kicked on the defenders side, and up until now his oppo defender's have probably taken a few more uncontested intercept's than they really should have (not uncommon for an 8 game player).

He's big and creative enough that when he does get to that position quicker he will probably start to out-mark the player more then he would expect. But also just bringing it to ground will set him up with advantageous opportunities, as his groundball skills will be head and shoulders above most KPD in the AFL.

It will just make him that 5% harder to play on... And for a player that's already as ridiculously dangerous as he is, adding 5% more is a scary concept!
He did this a few time where he out body his opponent but doesn't do this consistently but the ability is there so when he get a bigger body he will be able to at least breakeven if the ball isn't kick to his advantage and win the contested ball.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
There is something absolutely wild about an 8 game player being the 13th best key forward in the league by AFL player ranking statistics. Like it's not even just projecting that with some preseasons he'll be elite. He is almost there now.

If he stays healthy his whole career and doesn't end up a one year wonder, it's going to be a conversation between Tex and Mods for who is our number 2 all time forward.
Still early days. Justin Koschitzke was rising star in his first year. But super promising for sure.

mtbkym

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
South
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Chelsea, Canucks, Cubbies
Not playing those 5 games at the start of the season will cost him.
What will cost him is he doesn’t play for a big Vic club or one of the AFL’s projects. If he keeps going like he is I will be able to cash out at a profit. He’s already the highest ranked player from last years draft as highlighted above

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
100% he will. It is a confidence thing, and probably brought on by the fact that Howard actually played him pretty well and out-bodied him on occasions to the point where RT was feeling for the body contact.

From all reports he is a sponge and wants to improve and get better, so no doubt once he has more confidence to jump at the footy he will be pretty hard to stop.
I also think its an experience thing. In the AFL the KPD's are so much better at positioning themselves and reading the ball that if he's not a part of the contest, they will have no trouble mopping it up. His development is about reading the flight as early as possible, and pro-actively re-positioning to make it harder on the defender to intercept.

I actually think the best player we have for this skillset is Himmelberg, seems to have a real knack for impacting contests that aren't kicked to his advantage. Shame the other side of his game didn't develop at the same rate.

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
I also think its an experience thing. In the AFL the KPD's are so much better at positioning themselves and reading the ball that if he's not a part of the contest, they will have no trouble mopping it up. His development is about reading the flight as early as possible, and pro-actively re-positioning to make it harder on the defender to intercept.

I actually think the best player we have for this skillset is Himmelberg, seems to have a real knack for impacting contests that aren't kicked to his advantage. Shame the other side of his game didn't develop at the same rate.

Himmelberg has been the big disappointment from 2020 to 2021. Last half of last year he showed he was capable of challenging to be one of the best FWD/RUCKs in the competition and then nowhere to be seen this year. Must be an attitude thing.

Either way, as it has been a blessing as it has allowed RT to get in to the team (via a failed Frampton experience) and cement his position, relegating the big H to third choice.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
well if I am offering up my 2 bobs worth, I'd love to see Izak Rankine operating at the drop of the ball when it heads in Thilthorpes direction..imagine the panic that would induce in defenders if those 2 were hanging around close to goal and the rest of the team pushed up outside forward 50.
Mate Rankine was my 2018 draft crush, incredible amount of raw talent. And would be an incredible compliment to our future forward line. Doubtful we make a play for him whilst he's under contract though. Which is probably the smart move.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Himmelberg has been the big disappointment from 2020 to 2021. Last half of last year he showed he was capable of challenging to be one of the best FWD/RUCKs in the competition and then nowhere to be seen this year. Must be an attitude thing.

Either way, as it has been a blessing as it has allowed RT to get in to the team (via a failed Frampton experience) and cement his position, relegating the big H to third choice.
Yeah, i'm pretty flat on Himmelberg's season as a whole. Had the CHF role completely stitched up at the end of last year, lost it in the preseason, and now is 3rd in the cue (and Thilthorpe is only going to widen the gap). I heard whispers that he was either dealing with something in preseason, or came back underdone. But never really found out which it was.

Either way, its a very disappointing career arch thus far. Had some nice tools and should have done more with them by now

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Should have put more than $20 on

Into $13 now. 1 more bag and he’ll be amongst the favorites. Reckon Jackson is the biggest threat. Maybe Cox but feel he’s all hype at the moment. TT already has better numbers.
Vic scribes have already responded to TT and are now pushing the case for Jackson.

Back