Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

6 weeks of non-stop draft research. My girlfriend has dumped me. Getting lots of missed calls from my parents, they're worried about me. Haven't turned up to work in while because going to work means I'll have to shower and shave and I just can't be bothered. Jks! :)

But seriously, I just re-watched the AFL u18 All Stars Game and spent most of the time in awe of LDU and Stephenson. I did keep a close eye on Brayshaw, but can't say I was blown away. The thing I did find interesting was the commentary on Brayshaw (keep in mind this was on grand final day, pre combine...) Twomey and Sheehan(?) kept saying good things about him, his character etc (team captain) and the general consensus was that he'll be one of the first DOZEN taken on Draft Day (this seems to be similar with all the Mock Draft experts, Brayshaw = top 12).

Then we hit the Combine, and Brayshaw does really really well. Next minute - Brayshaw is potential number 1 pick. Freo and Brisbane are keen.

Now, I understand that we place emphasis on combine results. Logue was taken early last year after being rated as elite in the key athletic measurements. How can Twomey and all the experts go from rating a guy top 12 after he finishes his last game for the year (u18 Allstars - where Brayshaw didn't set the world on fire) to potential top pick after testing shows that he's a good endurance runner (they already knew that). I just find it strange, and to be honest I don't think Brayshaw is top 5 quality.

Now, this might be showing how cooked I am from all this speculation on draft results. There is obviously concern about the 'go home' factor. The Lions have been linked to Rayner and potentially his best mate Lachlan Fogarty with a later pick (ie, taking out some insurance to make sure Rayner will be happy up there...). There's also talk about taking Brayshaw and using a later pick on his brother (insurance against the 'go home' risk again). What does Freo have if we take LDU with pick 2??? I know it's a stretch - but how about this:

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...t/news-story/98d5fbdcc1c210fe746b2951e8db1a76

The article talks about LDU and Bonar being best mates. The article also talks about how Bonar likes to play like Mundy, and how he has personally met Ross The Boss Lyon!!! Bonar did similar to Brayshaw in showing how athletically gifted he is at the Combine. Early in the year he was tipped to go around pick 15, and then that changed to him going as early as pick 7/8 with St Kilda: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fo...t/news-story/6958b4fb35ac5feb86669901bafee3de

What do you guys think - could Freo do a LDU/Bonar double? I've read enough on this page about Darcy Fogarty/Cerra and how injury has held them back. Why not Bonar? he seems like a bloody great player - ticks the box of being a combine darling (which Freo obviously places emphasis on) and might be enough to keep LDU locked in with us... Technically he has only done his ACL once (the 2nd time wasn't another acl, just a defect with the previous graft). He is big and strong enough to play round one, and has similar hair to Mzungu which is a big selling point imo.

I'm not saying I think we should definitely do it, but it might be on the cards, and I'd probably prefer it than LDU/Brayshaw or LDU/Cerra... One thing going against the LDU/Bonar combo is that they're both actually very similar players. I'd personally prefer LDU/Stephenson...

I understand that Bonar's first of two ACL repairs was due to a impact, from another player falling onto him. The second was because the first graft didn't take properly and now he has played some games, still has the athleticism.

Big boy too, 189cm. We could do a lot worse than him at #5.

Seems of the group of 5-6 Cerra is the one we know least about. Limited highlights and two injuries the last two years to dampen his "road to the draft". Has reasonable stats and looks really good sometimes and other times gangly and awkard but still effective. He is talked up in Vic as being a real talent yet the media hav'nt really gone after him.

6 weeks of non-stop draft research. My girlfriend has dumped me. Getting lots of missed calls from my parents, they're worried about me. Haven't turned up to work in while because going to work means I'll have to shower and shave and I just can't be bothered. Jks! :)

But seriously, I just re-watched the AFL u18 All Stars Game and spent most of the time in awe of LDU and Stephenson. I did keep a close eye on Brayshaw, but can't say I was blown away. The thing I did find interesting was the commentary on Brayshaw (keep in mind this was on grand final day, pre combine...) Twomey and Sheehan(?) kept saying good things about him, his character etc (team captain) and the general consensus was that he'll be one of the first DOZEN taken on Draft Day (this seems to be similar with all the Mock Draft experts, Brayshaw = top 12).

Then we hit the Combine, and Brayshaw does really really well. Next minute - Brayshaw is potential number 1 pick. Freo and Brisbane are keen.

Now, I understand that we place emphasis on combine results. Logue was taken early last year after being rated as elite in the key athletic measurements. How can Twomey and all the experts go from rating a guy top 12 after he finishes his last game for the year (u18 Allstars - where Brayshaw didn't set the world on fire) to potential top pick after testing shows that he's a good endurance runner (they already knew that). I just find it strange, and to be honest I don't think Brayshaw is top 5 quality.

Now, this might be showing how cooked I am from all this speculation on draft results. There is obviously concern about the 'go home' factor. The Lions have been linked to Rayner and potentially his best mate Lachlan Fogarty with a later pick (ie, taking out some insurance to make sure Rayner will be happy up there...). There's also talk about taking Brayshaw and using a later pick on his brother (insurance against the 'go home' risk again). What does Freo have if we take LDU with pick 2??? I know it's a stretch - but how about this:

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...t/news-story/98d5fbdcc1c210fe746b2951e8db1a76

The article talks about LDU and Bonar being best mates. The article also talks about how Bonar likes to play like Mundy, and how he has personally met Ross The Boss Lyon!!! Bonar did similar to Brayshaw in showing how athletically gifted he is at the Combine. Early in the year he was tipped to go around pick 15, and then that changed to him going as early as pick 7/8 with St Kilda: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fo...t/news-story/6958b4fb35ac5feb86669901bafee3de

What do you guys think - could Freo do a LDU/Bonar double? I've read enough on this page about Darcy Fogarty/Cerra and how injury has held them back. Why not Bonar? he seems like a bloody great player - ticks the box of being a combine darling (which Freo obviously places emphasis on) and might be enough to keep LDU locked in with us... Technically he has only done his ACL once (the 2nd time wasn't another acl, just a defect with the previous graft). He is big and strong enough to play round one, and has similar hair to Mzungu which is a big selling point imo.

I'm not saying I think we should definitely do it, but it might be on the cards, and I'd probably prefer it than LDU/Brayshaw or LDU/Cerra... One thing going against the LDU/Bonar combo is that they're both actually very similar players. I'd personally prefer LDU/Stephenson...

Regarding the draft bolter that rises at the end of every year, I'm convinced that the recruiters/ media people play one player down just so they can have a spectacle bolter every year.

Buckanara also says Liam Ryan pkays like Cyril Rioli. Some people think he was a great recruiter, however i align his footy opinion with his coaching. That was around the quality of Damian Drum and Mark Neeld.

Bucky = brilliant player.

Bucky = mediocre coach & talent spotter.

I understand that Bonar's first of two ACL repairs was due to a impact, from another player falling onto him. The second was because the first graft didn't take properly and now he has played some games, still has the athleticism.

Big boy too, 189cm. We could do a lot worse than him at #5.

So he has done the ACL twice in the same knee ?

Big call

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow I didn't even connect that Bonar could be pronounced as Boner. I'm part Scottish myself so we pronounce the 'Bon' as in 'Bonnie' rather than BONE. haha. What a bunch of pervs.

LDU and BONER are managed by the same player agent (D'ORazio). Maybe he's working on a package deal? It seems the first ACL operation was done pretty poorly by a local doctor. After BONER got signed by D'Orazio and did his ACL again, he got one of the top surgeons in Melb to do a hamstring graft - a much better result.

From the combine Bonar scored:
#1 - Standing Vertical Jump - 89cm (Griffen Logue scored 71cm last year and that was 4th best of the 2016 crop)
Equal 2nd - 20m Sprint - 2.90 seconds (Logue scored 3.03 last year)
Equal 5th - Goal kicking (25/30)
Equal 10th (with Brayshaw) - Smart speed Agility - 8.30

From watching his highlight videos, he looks really good. He seems to me to be the Griffen Logue of the 2017 draft pool, however more of a forward/mid rather than Logue who was a defender/mid potentially. Similar body shape and athletic profile. I don't know of many other players that Ross has gone out of his way to interview (i'm sure there are others, but the fact he's been directly linked already is interesting...)

Unless a Dow or Brayshaw is available at 5, gimme one of Fog or Stephenson. I wasn't a fan of Stephenson for a while but a guy who's Jayden Hunt fast, can win his own ball and loves a goal is fairly attractive.

Hold on a second, are you saying Ross The Boss Lyon has interviewed Bonar? Sauce please!
Scroll up to my first post (the long one!) Link to an article from the Mercury (tassie herald sun). Bonar has met with Ross the Boss and Don Pyke! Follow the bread crumbs sheeple! Haha #woke

Yes, his penetration is good. Some say he is all muscle though. Needs better endurance to stay hard at the contest longer. And ideally he'd be a bit bigger.

#sizematters

Better?

Glenn-Quagmire.jpg

Sheeple can’t see through pay walls!

here goes nothing:

AIDEN Bonar sat in the Bendigo changerooms with tears streaming down his face.

Ten minutes after an opponent fell across the explosive midfielder’s leg, a Lachman test showed Bonar had ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

Bonar was best afield the previous weekend but started this TAC Cup match for Dandenong on the bench.

In the opening minutes he interchanged with best mate and No.1 pick fancy Luke Davies-Uniacke.

Seconds later and his season was over. In the changerooms his dad was so upset, he walked out.

Discharged from Bendigo hospital at 9pm, a lonely three-hour drive home preceded 14 months of rehabilitation.

It was 2015, Bonar was 16. The previous three years he won three flags at Seaford and was named best-on-ground in the grand final every time.

In 2016, Bonar finally returned. He got through three games … and then did his right knee again.

“I twisted going for a ball and I just felt it loose,” Bonar said.

“Straight after I knew it was gone. I was devastated.

“In the first few months of my rehab there was a patch where I thought I wouldn’t get picked up with two knees.”

It was a natural fear. But the second reconstruction would be different.

Robbie D’Orazio already managed Davies-Uniacke and Hunter Clark and they suggested he sign Bonar too.

D’Orazio — who has half of this year’s top-10 prospects — listened, and when Bonar’s knee went again, he called top surgeon Julian Feller.

Bonar first went under the knife of a local surgeon using a hamstring graft.

Feller used the patella tendon and Bonar knew it was a better operation.

“The next morning you wake up from surgery and actually have to walk around, and it felt a lot better,” he said.

His rehabilitation was also different — Bonar picked a new personal trainer and did four intensive sessions per week.

They still continue, with a session on Tuesday pushing back a Herald Sun photoshoot.

Every Wednesday after school, Bonar would bounce on a trampoline for an hour and 45 minutes. Each jump produced more strength and power in his legs.

He did three months of gymnastics and worked on his running with Olympian Craig Mottram at Haileybury.

Bonar’s dad would wake at 6am every morning to help him exercise and his mum kept driving to watch footy training, even after he had his licence.

After 11 months and three weeks Bonar was ready to return, nervous about his lack of touch, but not his knee.

Before the fourth game, when the knee went the year before, the demons resurfaced.

“I didn’t really get much sleep the night before that game,” Bonar said.

“But I knew if I could get past the fourth game I could fly through.”

When 2017 began Bonar believed he wouldn’t be drafted this year.

By draft combine, he had met 15 clubs including coaches Don Pyke (Adelaide) and Ross Lyon (Fremantle).

Collingwood will be the first to consider the Magpies fan at No.6, but St Kilda at No.7 and 8 looks more likely.

The Saints passed on the dynamic Christian Petracca in 2014. Is this their chance to grab a player with breakaway power?

If Bonar isn’t St Kilda’s man he could be off to GWS (No.11) or Sydney (No.14).

Bonar equalled the standing vertical jump record at draft camp with 89cm and then finished second in the 20m sprint (2.9sec).

The kid of Papua New Guinea (mum) and Scottish (dad) heritage is high risk, but high reward.

After a flat TAC Cup finals Bonar won 20 disposals, five clearances and kicked a goal in the All-Stars game on AFL Grand Final day.

He watches a lot of David Mundy and Brendon Goddard and is a genuine utility.

“I’m really versatile,” Bonar said.

“I can play at either end and am just a big, strong-bodied midfielder.”

Bonar has spent 26 months of his junior career recovering from knee surgeries. But at 190cm and 89kg he looks be ready to play AFL next year.

Last edited:
Back