Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hypothetical. We consider player X to be a massive flight risk. He interviews poorly. We therefore select player Y. Player X turns out to be Dusty, while Player Y is, I dunno, Travis Johnstone. Solid 200 game player but nothing remarkable.

Can you imagine the s**t we would receive for that? There's nothing you can do - you simply have to take the best player. and if they do up and leave, you have to hope you get a good deal for them. After all, a 21yo Dusty (chopsticks and all) would be better than a 21yo Trav.

I will put up a few examples.... SPS last year.... from WA but made it clear to anyone that asked that he wanted to be at a club in Melbourne. Wanted to be away from some bad influences here in Perth and wanted a start in Melbourne.

Then we have Wingard... told anyone that asked.. if you pick me I’m back in Adelaide after 2 Year’s...

Sure you back the club culture to convince them, but if your always paddling upstream!

The likelihood of go Home factor is real.

If you have 3 players of similar level, and 2 are interviewed and determined to have characters that are not up to scratch re work ethic or go home issues, it makes for an easier choice!

No idea how Sylvia slipped through must have been on talent alone, or maybe after that exercise they decided to beef up the recruiting department to where it is now.. current guys doing a good job IMO

They'd need to get paid more then IMO

You may well not be the first person to have said it, but it's the first time I've read it.
Should be a sliding scale from one to at least 10, given they're the ones we put on show on draft night.
A three year mandatory 'sentence' should go along with the top ten also.

Should someone point out all the players Freo have received from going home?

I understand the frustration. So if you can't beat them, join them.

We should be into every WA recruit's ear saying do your 2 or 3 years and if you want to come home do so.

It's started already.

Should someone point out all the players Freo have received from going home?

I understand the frustration. So if you can't beat them, join them.

We should be into every WA recruit's ear saying do your 2 or 3 years and if you want to come home do so.

It's started already.

Appreciated, all saying is that contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on they can't be enforced

Did some research on LDU and came across his highlights in a TAC final. His kicking looks superb and he looks really quick. Just dominates. I know it is a lower level than state games, but I think it shows he is all class and that he possess outstanding pace.
Put
Luke Davies-Uniacke v Eastern Ranges 2017 TAC Cup Semi-Final into a youtube search.
We definitely can't lose if we get him or Rayner.

Did some research on LDU and came across his highlights in a TAC final. His kicking looks superb and he looks really quick. Just dominates. I know it is a lower level than state games, but I think it shows he is all class and that he possess outstanding pace.
Put
Luke Davies-Uniacke v Eastern Ranges 2017 TAC Cup Semi-Final into a youtube search.
We definitely can't lose if we get him or Rayner.

Superb is a big stretch imo but an overall acceptable level of kicking skill displayed in this video.

LDU looks like a pretty reasonable mark, which combined with his size will help.

Really don't think we can go too wrong with any of the mids mentioned. Everyone this year looks solid if not spectacular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Freo has a recruiting Analyst and a Profiler... so headspace of the draftees is very closely looked

“Fremantle boast one of the bigger recruiting teams in the competition. General mamager of list management Brad Lloyd is the boss, overseeing the scouting of AFL players, contracts and the draft, and has the final call on decisions. But responsibility also lies with recruiting manager David Walls, the son of former Carlton coach Robert, and Neil Ross, who is Fremantle's top pro scout. Trent Mosbey, David McMullin and Ed McMullin make up Fremantle's contingent of under-18 watchers. The club formerly assigned areas of the country to certain recruiters to track, but takes a more nimble approach now, pushing resources to where the pool looks strongest. Steve Gloury is a part of Fremantle's recruiting line-up as a recruiting analyst, Peter Gibbs works as a profiling expert, and former Hawthorn head recruiter John Turnbull, who famously chose Luke Hodge in the 2001 'superdraft', is a part-time consultant. Turnbull can offer a point of difference with his long recruiting background. “

Last edited:
I am not sure why go home factor should be so big a deal. A factor for sure, but Weller, Lever and Cameron trades were fine for the original clubs.

We got lucky with Weller. Balic is a better player than pick 66, Crozier? If there are two players you rate the same go for the one who isn't Vic Metro I say.
Also for those saying the kids should just be honest - they can't. AFL would call it draft tampering. But they can and are choosing not to extend and then go home ASAP.

I'm personally praying for 2 of Rayner/LDU/Dow/Stephenson.

Cerra not sold on but some smart people really rate him.

Fogarty could easily slide out of the top 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol at these phantom drafts. We just lost two mids (Balic + Weller) and a HFF in Crozier. The only reason we'd draft Naughton is so we can build a ******* wall across the 50. A literal Trump Wall across Perth Stadium.

Make Fremantle great again?

I'm personally praying for 2 of Rayner/LDU/Dow/Stephenson.

Cerra not sold on but some smart people really rate him.

Fogarty could easily slide out of the top 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't sold on Cerra initially but the more I read & see of him the more I'm warming up to him...

lol at these phantom drafts. We just lost two mids (Balic + Weller) and a HFF in Crozier. The only reason we'd draft Naughton is so we can build a ******* wall across the 50. A literal Trump Wall across Perth Stadium.

But he's a KPP! And he's from Peel!

Yeah, people are lazy.

Rayner/LDU ....with first and really hoping it is Fogs with 5. Watching Fox they had us with LDU & Naughton (Dow 1, Rayner 3, Stephenson 4).

Stephenson just looks way too much like our skinny flanker experiments that we shall not speak of ....OK won't speak of from ...NOW.

LDU and Connor can get the flu when the surfs up, and Fogs can sit around watching film of Pav (both 192 cm)

I will put up a few examples.... SPS last year.... from WA but made it clear to anyone that asked that he wanted to be at a club in Melbourne. Wanted to be away from some bad influences here in Perth and wanted a start in Melbourne.

I don't pretend to know SPS but I did a lot of work up in the Kimberley last year and this wasn't the story I was told. He was quizzed constantly about would he go play in Melb (which let's be honest was very likely) and he embraced it and played up the positives...footy town, tradition etc.

Back