Universal Love Pick #2 - Welcome Andrew Brayshaw - 2022 AFLPA MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

Just had a read of his draft profile on footy prophet. Incredibly accurate read even after half a season of AFL.

The most interesting point was his kicking. They mentioned that although not noted for his kicking he hit every target (14) by foot in his 2 Championships games and during the TAC it was above average, however it was because he could see everything around him and often chose the least dangerous option. His footy IQ very high.

This now becomes obvious at AFL level where he has split seconds less time and team mates not as easily in the clear. If that process speeds up then perhaps he can convert his kicking accuracy too.

In my opinion Brayshaw is pretty much an Andrew Swallow clone. Tough, hard working inside mid with good hands but with very ordinary foot skills. If I recall correctly Swallow went 40 something in his draft.

Pretty early to call, but he has had a few clangers, as have most of our mids. I feel like he is still getting used to the pace of the game. Looks rushed sometimes.

What I will say though is that he is an incredibly hard worker.
Can’t teach hard work rate at his level.
You can teach skills.

He will be fine

We got Cerra coz of Brayshaw.
They're mates, yeah.
Its two for the price of two!
He's got heaps of time to improve!!

Just had a read of his draft profile on footy prophet. Incredibly accurate read even after half a season of AFL.

The most interesting point was his kicking. They mentioned that although not noted for his kicking he hit every target (14) by foot in his 2 Championships games and during the TAC it was above average, however it was because he could see everything around him and often chose the least dangerous option. His footy IQ very high.

This now becomes obvious at AFL level where he has split seconds less time and team mates not as easily in the clear. If that process speeds up then perhaps he can convert his kicking accuracy too.
His kicking is actually very good for a first year player. Hugh McLuggage was considered the best kick in his draft and having elite skills coming into his first season. He struggled significantly with his kicking in his first year at afl level as it takes time to adabt to the pace and pressure of afl football. Brayshaw is no different. Considering the step up in the speed of play when a player comes straight from underage play to playing every game in his first year, rushing a kick or two should be expected. In his first half a dozen games he also kicked really well, but he was winning less of the ball than he has recently. I wouldnt worry about his foot skills at all. Seen him at training and he barely misses a target. Will be a very, very good kick once given time to adapt to the speed of the game.

More Scott West than Rhys Palmer. Once he gets established Brayshaw is the kind of guy who will produce 30+ possessions (10kicks/20handballs) games week after week and season after season.
Mid-career he will probably score high in Brownlow voting because he will be busy at the stoppage and always on the ball.

His kicking is actually very good for a first year player. Hugh McLuggage was considered the best kick in his draft and having elite skills coming into his first season. He struggled significantly with his kicking in his first year at afl level as it takes time to adabt to the pace and pressure of afl football. Brayshaw is no different. Considering the step up in the speed of play when a player comes straight from underage play to playing every game in his first year, rushing a kick or two should be expected. In his first half a dozen games he also kicked really well, but he was winning less of the ball than he has recently. I wouldnt worry about his foot skills at all. Seen him at training and he barely misses a target. Will be a very, very good kick once given time to adapt to the speed of the game.

Are the targets ever between the 2 big sticks? I can’t recall him nailing a set shot. Can recall a few sprays.

Are the targets ever between the 2 big sticks? I can’t recall him nailing a set shot. Can recall a few sprays.
You are talking about two or three sprays in his first season. Not much to be concerned about there. For what it is worth he was described as a gun shot for goal in a couple of the draft write-ups. There was mention about how he slowed down and got his balance in a goal shot on the run in a similar way Garry Ablett does. Brayshaw's kicking will be excellent to outstanding in no time.

In my opinion Brayshaw is pretty much an Andrew Swallow clone. Tough, hard working inside mid with good hands but with very ordinary foot skills. If I recall correctly Swallow went 40 something in his draft.

He covers the ground miles better than Swallow. Has better endurance and is a lot quicker.

We need to give kids time to develop. Some players develop quickly, some don’t develop at all. Brayshaw has improved significantly since Rd 1. Give him time to iron out his deficiencies.

He has already adjusted to AFl footy and looks a better chance to make it than LDU or Dow. Worst case we have a ball winner and leader within the club like a Matty Boyd type. Best case we have a Joel Selwood/ Trent Cotchin.

I’d take Cerra before him but he is tracking nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm not worried about his kicking - he is not Cerra level but he is way better than Palmer or Masten. Comparable to Brad Crouch / Tom Scully / Jack Viney. The action is good enough; I think it is the pace of the game mostly he is getting used to, exampled in yesterday's game we he held on to the ball a little too long, but would have been just right for drawing an opponent +/- a second. Like those players I expect it to get much better with a season under the belt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is a bit worrying to see a pick 2 with such an obvious downside to his game but I think he'll be fine. Treloar has carved out a pretty good career so far despite having a shockingly bad kick at times. Way too early to tell now anyway.

Will be very interesting to follow his career and see if he can become a bona fide star without having any real stand-out feature of his game.

Kicking i'm not worried about. Fyfe 'can't kick either' and that's turned out ok.

Didn't turn out OK on Grand Final day 2013 though. In my book a cardinal rule of list management is that you don't waste a top 2 pick on a player who can't kick, regardless of his brilliance in other respects. This is not a judgment on the wisdom of selecting Brayshaw in particular - it's too early to tell. But as a general proposition superstars who "can't kick" may well get you into a Grand Final; but their poor kicking can also be the difference between winning and losing a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back