Universal Love Pick #2 - Welcome Andrew Brayshaw - 2022 AFLPA MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

We have 4 players of the top 12 best odds on Sports Bet for Rising Star and only one of them has been nominated yet. Hunter Clark way back @ $101. Either we are going to have a flurry of nominations in the second half of the season or Sports Bet's algorithm is not configured correctly for Victorian bias.

Baffling RS nomination by the AFL this round. Could understand if it was a toss of a coin over a 1-2 game sample, but AB has played every game and on balance had a bigger impact. Trash call.

Am I the only one who didn't think his game was worthy of a Rising Star nomination? He was okay, not saying he played poorly, because he didn't, but his kicking was poor and decisions by foot were also poor. Didn't watch the Saints game, guessing no one else here did it too, but I have no problem with Brayshaw not getting nominated for that game.

Am I the only one who didn't think his game was worthy of a Rising Star nomination? He was okay, not saying he played poorly, because he didn't, but his kicking was poor and decisions by foot were also poor. Didn't watch the Saints game, guessing no one else here did it too, but I have no problem with Brayshaw not getting nominated for that game.

I'm with you. He was decent, but I wouldn't have had him in our top 3.

He'll play better games than that this year and get a nomination, hardly meltworthy that he didn't get nominated this week,

I love how some are willing to criticise our player and say he probably didn't deserve it because he made some mistakes when they didn't even watch the nominee play to make a comparison - and then go on to claim those of us annoyed Brayshaw didn't win mustn't have watched it either (um wtf?).

Brayshaw's nomination is justified because:
(a) he got 3 coaches votes - either Ross or Bolton thought his impact was significant enough to give him those votes
(b) statistically it was one of the most balanced games by a first year player this season - 1 goal, 24 pressure acts, 8 score involvements and 352 metres gained is impressive for a first year player (especially so from only 69% TOG)
(c) yes he made a handful of mistakes (mainly by foot) but as has been said many times previously he was playing in congestion and often winning the ball from multiple opponents as an 18yo kid - we still did score more than a third of the times he touched the ball and it's not like all first year players aren't making similar numbers of mistakes
(d) he's shown consistent output over all 13 games this season, something we were informed was a critical piece for getting a nomination (unless it isn't apparently)

Hunter Clark is and will be a good player but he played off half back and much of what he did was in space with zero to no pressure and he still made plenty of mistakes - go watch the replay or his highlights, not surprisingly with only 93 metres gained from half back there aren't that many. If you compare his game to what Cerra did against Adelaide the week before it is chalk and cheese.

Goals - 0 Cerra, 0 - Clark
Disposals - 30 Cerra, 17 - Clark
Contested - 12 Cerra, 4 - Clark
Intercepts - 8 Cerra, 5 - Clark
Score Involvements - 5 - Cerra, 4 - Clark
Marks - 6 - Cerra, 6 - Clark
Contested Marks - 2 - Cerra, 0 - Clark
Metres Gained - 400m - Cerra, 93m - Clark
Clearances - 2 - Cerra, 0 - Clark
Tackles - 4 - Cerra, 6 - Clark
Inside 50s - 8 - Cerra, 1 - Clark

So Cerra smashed him in every statistic except tackles and marks (even). That metres gained difference blows my mind.

Although he was less noticeable this week (probably because of what he did the week prior), Cerra's game on the weekend was still better than Clark's. 14 Disposals, 5 Contested, 5 Intercepts, 6 Score Involvements, 8 Marks, 1 Contested Mark, 2 Marks inside 50, 259 Metres Gained, 3 Tackles. Beating him in every statistic except disposals and tackles. Even Giro had a bigger output than Clark on the weekend.

Cerra probably deserved to win over Cox last week. Banfield deserved to win one when he played as a tagger earlier in the season. Brayshaw did enough on the weekend imo (in addition to his previous games) to win this week.

Apparently we nailed the 2017 draft and yet we haven't had a single RS nomination for any of our players from it yet. I'm more annoyed at that than the selection this round to be honest. Is it too much to ask for a fair playing field? My post in the melt thread was tongue in cheek but I probably wouldn't be holding back if I got a hold of Gil's ear (Tyson style if it came to that).

On the Saints board someone mentioned. Clark was great in the last term, so perhaps they feel he had a large influence in their 2 point win.

Then I’d argue Brayshaw had most of his stats to half time when we obliterated Carlton.

Brayshaw also significantly less time on field.

Is he going to be like his grandfather, champion 1st class cricketer, but flew under the radar over east ?.

Flying under the radar is good for the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brayshaw's technique is fundamentally pretty sound imo,his weighting of his kicks is what is hurting him at present.Once he adjusts to the pace of the game I'm confident his kicking efficiency percentage will increase.

I couldn't be happier we chose AB as a top 5 pick.

You boys clearly get too carried away with stats, have a look at those highlights from Brayshaw and then compare them to these.

Clark went at 82% and was huge in the last qtr to get us over the line.
Ha ha you say we are too carried away with stats. Then quote the meaningless 82% DE :) Do you want to know what the retention rate was on Clark's 17 disposals? He had 5 disposals that you retained possession of. Hence why his metres gained was so tiny for someone playing at half back. Long kicks are treated as effective kicks even if the opposition ends up with the ball. He is going to be a good player for you but if you watch the worts and all package in ProStats you would see why comparing Brayshaw's video to his highlights video is silly. Even this video you can see where they cut off and Gold Coast gain possession on a few of the plays - like the great 1%er he does, give and go and then kicks straight to a GC player.

Battle would have to feel more unlucky than Brayshaw and Cerra this week though you would think.
Battle's 3 goals were good but if you compare him to Brennan Cox's 4 goal game last week it is similarly chalk and cheese. We had Nyhuis kick 4 goals on debut in his first ever game (in his life) playing as a forward and win us the away game against North last year and he didn't get a nod. We were informed it was because he needed to show some good football over a few games (which apparently isn't a rule for everybody). Same with Sean Darcy who stepped up when Sandi went down (and our other rucks were injured), racked up 40 hit outs on debut and helped us get within 2 points of beating Geelong away. As a 19yo ruck he averaged 34 hit outs over 8 games he played and didn't get a nomination. There is no doubt in my mind if he did that in a Vic team he'd get his own parade.

Taking nothing away from Clark, he's going to be a good player for you but a RS nod ahead of Brayshaw and Cerra is an absolute crock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back