theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
He brings more or less the same things De Boer, Suban, Barlow, Menegola, bad kick version of Sutcliffe and Mayne and Dan Pearce brought to the team. Sweet.
Pretty sure a player-compare on footywire will highlight that at 19 years old Brayshaw is way ahead of all of them.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
What more are you expecting out of a 19 year old..

Come on, surely there isn't a Freo fan that isn't at least a tad disappointed with the quality of his kicking. He struggles to hit a target from 25m, and he knows it too.

That's not to say he isn't worth his spot in the 22, but he has been a bit underwhelming.

tacopavlich

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Come on, surely there isn't a Freo fan that isn't at least a tad disappointed with the quality of his kicking. He struggles to hit a target from 25m, and he knows it too.

That's not to say he isn't worth his spot in the 22, but he has been a bit underwhelming.

Agree, but criticizing him after today seems a bit unfair. His composure and decision making was significantly improved compared to his other games

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Agree, but criticizing him after today seems a bit unfair. His composure and decision making was significantly improved compared to his other games

That play in the dying minutes aside (which was one of the all time great contested possessions), his disposal wasn't great. I didn't think his game particularly stood out.

tacopavlich

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
That play in the dying minutes aside (which was one of the all time great contested possessions), his disposal wasn't great. I didn't think his game particularly stood out.

Thought it was good but will keep an eye out for it on the replay

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
I’ll own up to being disappointed in his disposal. But I’m bloody thrilled with every thing else he has. Hardness, determination, footy smarts, two-way running, with a relentless attack on the ball.

I’m very confident his disposal wii improve with experience and he’ll be a Cotchin/Jobe Watson like mid for us. Midfield general, brings teammates into the game. Possible captain. What’s not to like?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Playing inside mid at the very start of your career is not a great formula for displaying your best disposal skills. I want to see him getting into more contests and getting more disposals. The disposal will improve, but I don't expect it to become an elite feature of his game.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Yep, there are pigheaded people here, they expect 19 year old superstars. Fyfe at 19, Mundy at 19, ........ one was so so, the other playing for Subi !!!.

Andrew is tracking along very nicely.

I always say, give players 3 seasons after drafting, before making an assessment against fellow draftees. Now we are 50% through this period, Brayshaw is looking good.

LeftFootBanana

All Australian
Aug 7, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gives everything and does the things you can't teach. A quality young man who will no doubt continue to work on all aspects of his game.

As for the comparison to players past, if you think AB and Danyle Pearce are any way comparable other than both being Fremantle players, you aren't paying attention.

kp junior

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Yep, there are pigheaded people here, they expect 19 year old superstars. Fyfe at 19, Mundy at 19, ........ one was so so, the other playing for Subi !!!.

Andrew is tracking along very nicely.

I always say, give players 3 seasons after drafting, before making an assessment against fellow draftees. Now we are 50% through this period, Brayshaw is looking good.

Fair point but Fyfe at 19 was clearly a freak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EastcoastDocker

All Australian
Sep 23, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
brayshaws hands are elite, both on the ground, in tight laying off a handball.

He knows when to give and how to give. Handballing is a real underrated skill, particularly in the pressure cooker that is afl footy. We always bitch about handballing to someone under pressure or missing the target or forcing ppl to wait. Andy’s are always on point and in stride and that’s something that can’t be taught.

He still has a teenagers body and it should be noted his bulking up this offseason was hampered by some dhead.

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Some of the criticism of his kicking is completely over the top. He is half way through his second season ffs.

If Fyfe was drafted in the top 5 of his draft I’m sure there would have been daggers out too (look how he’s turned out).

He needs supporting like the rest of the team so let’s back him. He gives his absolute all and some of his ball winning has been CRITICAL in two to three wins this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
His kicking is not AFL quality.
All his other attributes are elite for a 19 year old.

You can work on your kicking.
Harder to work on all those other attributes.

Plus he oozes character. I’m not disappointed in getting him at 2 in his draft year.

Hit the nail on the head Cobbler.

Joeltownsmith

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dall cowboys
Him and Cerra did come up with some big plays against a top4 team, brayshaws decision making will get better he does have a good kicking action unlike banfield.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
He brings more or less the same things De Boer, Suban, Barlow, Menegola, bad kick version of Sutcliffe and Mayne and Dan Pearce brought to the team. Sweet.
disagree with some of the players you mentioned, but I agree with your sentiment.
Barlow was a star for a period. D Pearce was never an inside player.
The player Brayshaw is projecting as, in my opinion is Conca.
Hard body, hard at it. Can get the footy. Good defensive qualities, including good tackling. OK hands. Questionable kicking.
2 peas in a pod.
I'd love to see what guys like North & Valente (has been injured I know) can do in place of him.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
He is our best rookie. The knocks on him are ridiculous, he is 19 years old and playing inside mid ffs . Cerra is the one I,m worried about. You can have all the silky skills in the world but if you're to slow to get out into the open and use them then useless comes into discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back