Universal Love Pick #2 - Welcome Andrew Brayshaw - 2022 AFLPA MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

Yyou you you are a t t tool. Is freo even your team ?
i normally try to not be triggered by idiots, but questioning my love for Freo, when I have bled purple since the formation of our club is not on.
I have been pushing for us to have the best 22 & not settling for what is clearly, in my opinion sub-standard.
so mouseboy, before you squeak up, think about what you have written.
I want to see a premiership for Freo!

How many hundreds of players have played AFL? Name 10 who significantly improved their kicking from their rookie years. It just doesn't happen often. He was listed as a bottom 2 kick in the AFL along with Dow from Carlton and the eyeball test agrees with that. Like others have said everything else he does is good and I'm sure he'll have a long career at Freo or elsewhere but you can find that type anywhere in the draft.

Will he be a 200 game player - barring injury I'm sure he'll push 300.

Is there room for his type of player in an AFL team - definitely.

Am I happy drafting that type with pick 2 despite all the other positive aspects to his game - No.
hit the nail on the head :thumbsu:

hit the nail on the head :thumbsu:
Can understand your POV, and Brayshaw was a bolter, but he at least gets on the park. Some of our other first
round picks have been total busts, imagine our club with Darling, Yeo, McGovern just for starters.
All WA boys, your disgust with the Brayshaw pick? Compared to some of the others is a Godsend.
Blame the recruiters not the players they don't get to choose where they go.

Name 10 who significantly improved their kicking from their rookie years.
Are you serious? Just about every player who's ever spent any significant time in the AFL is who.

Early years are all about adapting. Endurance, physical strength, smarts, all against majority of opponents who have adapted. Often the finer skills and lesser strengths and weaknesses suffer most. Through this and towards the end of the adapting period there can be exponential improvement of those finer skills as they devote less of their capacity to developing and just clinging on.

Part of what probably drew them to Brayshaw as a top pick was his capacity for learning and growth.

Can understand your POV, and Brayshaw was a bolter, but he at least gets on the park. Some of our other first
round picks have been total busts, imagine our club with Darling, Yeo, McGovern just for starters.
All WA boys, your disgust with the Brayshaw pick? Compared to some of the others is a Godsend.
Blame the recruiters not the players they don't get to choose where they go.
good points.
I don't blame Andrew at all.
I thought he was good in the last game, & will continue to look for positives in his game.

Andrew's kicking is going to appear to look better when he stops taking risky options. Instead of that forward kick like the one to Hogan on Saturday, he goes sideways to a loose player.

The discussion will then be about whether our 75% effective by foot extractor mid is damaging enough with his handballs that result in an inside fifty or his sideways kicks that miss options ahead.

That time we lose when Hughes takes a mark and doesn't kick to the loose up ahead because he is only in 20m of space and a slight miss kick will result in a turnover, that's what we could have out of Brayshaw, so what would you prefer?

How many hundreds of players have played AFL? Name 10 who significantly improved their kicking from their rookie years. It just doesn't happen often. - No.

Well thats just plain 100% wrong. Without much research I can name a few Fremantle players who improved *cough* Nat Fyfe kicked at 61% in his first season *cough*

Oh and Sonny Walters kicked at 68% which is 1% worse than Andy's first season if we want to be precise.

This was after 5mins of comparing stats.

Oh and Brayshaw even being rated bottom two in the draft for kicking is kicking at 69% halfway through his second year. If youre going to spout bullshit atleast make it somewhat difficult to disprove.

How many hundreds of players have played AFL? Name 10 who significantly improved their kicking from their rookie years. It just doesn't happen often. He was listed as a bottom 2 kick in the AFL along with Dow from Carlton and the eyeball test agrees with that. Like others have said everything else he does is good and I'm sure he'll have a long career at Freo or elsewhere but you can find that type anywhere in the draft.

Will he be a 200 game player - barring injury I'm sure he'll push 300.

Is there room for his type of player in an AFL team - definitely.

Am I happy drafting that type with pick 2 despite all the other positive aspects to his game - No.

Nonsense. Plenty of players have improved their kicking over the years. Fyfe's kicking has improved alot since his rookie year. Another one you wouldn't remember is Shaun McManus who was a ball burner who ended up being a very good kick. Chris Mayne anyone? Remember his kicking in his early years? it was total rubbish.

while Brayshaw isn't a Shannon Hurn or Nathan Wilson who are going to boot it 60m and hit a guy on the chest, it won't be a knock on him in 5 years.

People talking like they wouldn’t take Fyfe pick two if we had our time again because he’s a crap kick etc.

Brayshaw is probably sitting at number 3 for his draft class (excluding mature agers like Tim Kelly) atm behind Stephenson and Naughton. He’s certainly way ahead of Cerra at this stage.

Oh and Brayshaw even being rated bottom two in the draft for kicking is kicking at 69% halfway through his second year. If youre going to spout ******** atleast make it somewhat difficult to disprove.

exactly. How many of his draft class are playing as an inside mid? Raynor is playing as a forward pocket. Stevenson the same. Both of them average half as many contested possessions as Brayshaw and Dow. And surprise surprise both Dow and Brayshaw have "bad kicking"

People talking like they wouldn’t take Fyfe pick two if we had our time again because he’s a crap kick etc.

Brayshaw is probably sitting at number 3 for his draft class (excluding mature agers like Tim Kelly) atm behind Stephenson and Naughton. He’s certainly way ahead of Cerra at this stage.

Stephenson has lovely skills but i would take Brayshaw over him. Stephenson doesn't look like he likes the hard ball. Naughton is going well but he averages 10 possessions and 1.5 goals a game. Its ok but hardly a Hogan type debut season.

I'm not sure why people still use kicking efficiency as a measure to judge people's kicking. It might have some general use for a team's kicking as a group, but that is about it. You only need your eyes to judge someone's kicking. Not statistics.

Brayshaw is a very ordinary kick now. But I think he will get it to an acceptable level, and the other facets of his game will make him a very good player overall.

Some of the best players are fairly s**t by foot ... Fyfe, Cripps, Kennedy (Sydney), Dangerfield, Shiel, older guys like Watson, Swan, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way Andy moves from a contest will be a weapon long term. We see it a couple of times again, his sideways movement at pace that gets him out of a pack to deliver to a runner on the outside. The game he did this the most was the WCE game before scumbag did his dog act.

I am looking forward to him building through the second half of the year and think he will have at least a couple of 25 plus possie games. Finals will be good for him as well.

He is also one of our best defensive runners - actively stops teams breaking away through his gut running and pressure a few times a game.

Stephenson has lovely skills but i would take Brayshaw over him. Stephenson doesn't look like he likes the hard ball. Naughton is going well but he averages 10 possessions and 1.5 goals a game. Its ok but hardly a Hogan type debut season.
Stephenson is a good decision maker but his actual kicks aren't great. Feel like he is the sort to bust his chops to become better though.

If he had been a good kick then even with the heart he goes pick 1 easily IMO.

How's Fogerty going? He was the one most of us wanted if I remember. He played quite a bit last year but i haven't heard much of him this season. Injured?

Apparently Fogarty is close to getting back into the Adelaide team with quite a few goals recently; Jenkins and Walker however are holding him out though.

i normally try to not be triggered by idiots, but questioning my love for Freo, when I have bled purple since the formation of our club is not on.
I swear you used to post on this website as a GWS fan

Kicking is all in the head he got his head taken off last year so we should excuse him for rushing the ball in congestion
Ablett junior when he come back from his shoulder looked a different player in his first 12months back shirking contest and tackles, rushing the ball
He may not be silk but it looks like we have a player that’s a necessity in any title contender

I swear you used to post on this website as a GWS fan
I did, but that was as an alias.
I'm not a liar, so I won't deny that.
I tried do do some infiltrating of other boards, but I was pretty useless at it.

Here’s one for the history buffs. Hasleby entered a similar contest and emerged with the footy. 2003-2006 era, maybe earlier actually. He also reverse spun his way out and ran away with the ball. Both moments were critical in the contest. Can anyone remember which game it was? Or even better, do a comparison gif?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back