Past 34. Sam Philp

Remove this Banner Ad

SOS is a genius, not only taking Kemp at 17 when the club would have taken him at 9 but he also gave the club another crack at what appears to be a quality youngster. The triple threat is that he just made Sam Philp a household name for every Carlton hater out there, lol.

The man can do it all.

This guy looks like he has massive upside.

His pace is electrifying. Kind of like a Dangerfield or Shiel exploding out of a stoppage.

Really excited about what Philp can bring to CFC :)
After watching his highlights what stood out to be was not only the electrifying pace but also some of his work through congestion was extremely impressive, he seems to possess wonderful awareness and evaisiveness with some of those fakes, spins then the burst, he looks an exciting prospect...

Found this on AFL Draft Central, much better than afl.com.au and easily the most amount of info on Philp...the write up was pretty prophetic as it turns out.

A couple of quotes from the bio stuck out to me

“A big improver from his bottom-age season, Philp has continued on the upward trend and could be the kind of player a club will seek to snap up earlier than expected given the upside his unique mix of traits brings”

“It is this mix of exciting traits and a sound base that sets Philp apart from stock-standard inside midfielders, eventually proving too good to refuse for AFL club recruiters. If a club is keen to snap him up, do not be surprised to see him taken early into the second round, but otherwise inevitably feature in the logjam afterwards.”

Full write up here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope he gets a go in the forwardline early, while we build his midfield minutes.

His speed is obviously top tier, but his reaction time is incredible. Has really nice movement in traffic, and finds space well.

Still find it interesting how similar he and Kemp are, although Philp probably doesn’t have the versatility or the size.

I’m trying to picture how we’re going to structure up with all these 188+ athletic beasts roaming around, and it’s seriously difficult, but I rate the intangibles with Philp in his leadership, high character and competitiveness.

Quintessential SOS pick.

That’s perspective. How exciting. Philp looks a heap harder than petrucelli too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In fairness, a Maccas softserve left in the Kalgoorlie sun is harder than Petrucelli.

The more I think about it, the more I like this selection.
Our midfield is a little one paced so Philp can add some pace to our centre square rotations,
There's an added bonus in that he's played off a hff as well so he may find a spot there initially while he gets up to speed with senior footy.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back