Player Watch Pick #23 (2019) - Dylan Williams

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah hes sadly looking like a major bust at this point.
I had so much hope for this kid , unfortunately physically he can't get there. Something not right with him, his development, attitude, body? etc. Maybe his body ain't up to it. Reminds of reading about Charlie Constable for Geelong, alot of talent but nobody could get him fit , he could never run out a game, just had no aerobic capacity.

Yeah hes sadly looking like a major bust at this point.

When Gray and Fantasia are out and you still can't get a game as a small forward over the likes of Rozee, McEntee and Motlop, your career is as good as done.

So... where is this guy at? Has amazing skill but still gets puffed out. I expected Dylan to come out all guns blazing for 2022, super preseason, pushing for trial game selection etc etc - i'd put my hard earned money betting he will be a bust. So who's fault is it?

A. Because of injuries 2019-2021?
B. His mental application?
C. Just doesnt have the physical traits needed? (if so did our recruiting do due diligance?)
D. Or is it the fitness coaches at the club?

hmmmm

I half jokingly, and half seriously have said we need to send him to California with Boak to one of those sprint track club's (was thinking of Joe Douglas' Santa Monica Track Club who had Carl Lewis, Leroy Burrell, Mike Marsh, Joe DeLoach, Steve Lewis, Kevin Young all Olympic sprinting gold medalists, plus a few others I've missed) to turn him from more Carl Williams into more Carl Lewis.

Fitness and speed is an issue, but I reckon his actual running cadence is a big issue. He has a very inefficient running style.

He should personally employ a sprint coach to teach him how to run properly. If he can't change his running cadence, I think he has no hope of making it.

I had so much hope for this kid , unfortunately physically he can't get there. Something not right with him, his development, attitude, body? etc. Maybe his body ain't up to it. Reminds of reading about Charlie Constable for Geelong, alot of talent but nobody could get him fit , he could never run out a game, just had no aerobic capacity.

I half jokingly, and half seriously have said we need to send him to California with Boak to one of those sprint track club's (was thinking of Joe Douglas' Santa Monica Track Club who had Carl Lewis, Leroy Burrell, Mike Marsh, Joe DeLoach, Steve Lewis, Kevin Young all Olympic sprinting gold medalists, plus a few others I've missed) to turn him from more Carl Williams into more Carl Lewis.

Fitness and speed is an issue, but I reckon his actual running cadence is a big issue. He has a very inefficient running style.

He should personally employ a sprint coach to teach him how to run properly. If he can't change his running cadence, I think he has no hope of making it.
So, is this the due diligence question to our recruiting staff - remember we threw pick 23 on him. i know he had a broken leg, but recruiters would have kept an eye on running capacity/cadence prior to him breaking the leg - just have a feeling this was a lazy selection - more of a punt rather than thoroughly researched....just my gut feel on this :(

So, is this the due diligence question to our recruiting staff - remember we threw pick 23 on him. i know he had a broken leg, but recruiters would have kept an eye on running capacity/cadence prior to him breaking the leg - just have a feeling this was a lazy selection - more of a punt rather than thoroughly researched....just my gut feel on this :(
Yes it is.

Last edited:
His pre-draft analysis tells the story of his post-draft career to date.

Dylan Williams

While previously mentioned that injury has had a massive impact on his year, there are still a few clear areas in which Williams can improve. The first is his consistency, because while he is a match-winner, like every small forward or X-factor player, he can play in patches. His best is incredible, while his lowest is unsighted. It is a case of just building some consistency within games and having more of an impact when not on his game. Williams has been tried in other parts of the ground including defence and through the midfield, with the onball venture showing he can have an impact around the clearances, but needs more minutes in there. The reason for the switch to defence was to add more defensive pressure to his game, averaging just under two tackles per game, but when forward, averages about one per game. In that five-goal haul over the Falcons, Williams was at his best with three tackles and showing that he can apply the defensive pressure required of the modern game. If he can set that as the benchmark going forward, then he will be a more complete player. As a whole though, the improvements are areas that will come with good development at AFL level, and one can expect that he will build a reputation as a highlight-reel player who can kick some special goals and take some high-flying marks.

Defensive work rate tackles ECT = goals (not all the time) and sometimes it might spill to your team mate and he will get the goal... But U will get rewarded... Never understood the lack of defensive pressure.

Defensive work rate tackles ECT = goals (not all the time) and sometimes it might spill to your team mate and he will get the goal... But U will get rewarded... Never understood the lack of defensive pressure.
Defending is an attitude, it’s the mental aspect of the game that sets the greats apart. Who is our physiologist down there these days?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was ok against Norwood , could have had 3 today, but it was ugly congested footy today, has had stints in mid in last weeks. Havent given up on him yet, but time is runnin out.

The door is ajar for him to get some games this year and then potentially become a mainstay as Gray tails off. And the talent is there to achieve that... albeit goalkicking has been s**t this year.

Still, you can't get away with playing someone who is as unfit as him unless they have enormous talent and experience i.e. Robbie Gray.

The fact he is seemingly shown zero improvement to his fitness in 2-3 preseasons is really quite damning. The trend line for improvement isn't there and unless there are drastic changes then it's hard to see him being in a position to play next year. I can't think of a player who has made it from the position that he is in now. Maybe a few ruckman like Sam Hayes.

He seems further away from the required level than he was last year. None of his deficiencies has been addressed.

Between him and Mead, I reckon we may have shot a couple of blanks in that all important 2019 draft. At least Pasini seems to be coming on.

Going by what I saw yesterday there is definitely some ability there but he is yet another Port player who looks like he has never been anywhere near the weight room.
There would be 15 year olds with better muscle definition than him.

Going by what I saw yesterday there is definitely some ability there but he is yet another Port player who looks like he has never been anywhere near the weight room.
There would be 15 year olds with better muscle definition than him.
I was thinking the same. He looked more muscular in his U18 year. Duursma’s the same, even Drew. Sausage arms aplenty on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back