Prediction Pick 24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want battle if there (i think port take him first unfortunately). Not sure on kerr. Expect marshall to be gone.

If both gone i would preference:
1. Florent
2. Witherden
3. Ridley
4. Galluci
5. Venables
6. Bolton
7. C cox

I have left out guys who i expect will be picked before 24 like simpkin and hayward and guys i really rate but who dont fit our needs (e.g. jack graham).

Want battle if there (i think port take him first unfortunately). Not sure on kerr. Expect marshall to be gone.

If both gone i would preference:
1. Florent
2. Witherden
3. Ridley
4. Galluci
5. Venables
6. Bolton
7. C cox

I have left out guys who i expect will be picked before 24 like simpkin and hayward and guys i really rate but who dont fit our needs (e.g. jack graham).

I'd expect that at least the first five of those to be gone by our first pick

I don't think any of them are certainties to be gone by our first. I'd think Florent would be the most likely to be gone, then Gallucci due to his invite. Seems like Ridley has been linked with Brisbane and Essendon before our first. The rest are up in the air for mine.

Its an open draft so its hard to pick who will go there. Some clubs perceive florent as a flight risk so that may see him slide. Bolton and cox are perceived to be similar risks depending on who you talk to. Venables and withderens injuries might do likewise. Ridley is probably the most likely to be gone funnily enough (i wouldnt have predicted that 6 months ago).

Last edited:
Its an open draft so its hard to pick who will go there. Some clubs perceive florent as a flight risk so that may see him slide. Venables injury might do likewise.

First time I'm hearing of Florent being a flight risk. For once I'd like us to draft someone with our first who isn't under some sort of injury cloud.

First time I'm hearing of Florent being a flight risk. For once I'd like us to draft someone with our first who isn't under some sort of injury cloud.

Because of his family situation a few clubs are nervous on florent. Brisbane in particular i expect to pass on him given their retention issues. Bulldogs (18) and st kilda (23) are probably the biggest risks. Twomey is alluding to it when he says florent might stay in victoria.

I agree i would like to take someone durable but the more durable guys dont fit our needs (powell pepper scharenberg etc). This is why i want battle as he is durable and capable and does fit our needs.

Because of his family situation a few clubs are nervous on florent. Brisbane in particular i expect to pass on him given their retention issues. Bulldogs (18) and st kilda (23) are probably the biggest risks. Twomey is alluding to it when he says florent might stay in victoria.

I agree i would like to take someone durable but the more durable guys dont fit our needs (powell pepper scharenberg etc). This is why i want battle as he is durable and capable and does fit our needs.

Thoughts on Rotham with our first?

Thoughts on Rotham with our first?

Good player. I think ridley is a better fit for our needs as a think he has more capacity to play wing and midfield later on whereas rotham will be more defence. But both are good prospects. The other player who i rate a lot is lupinski but 24 is too early for him.

Good player. I think ridley is a better fit for our needs as a think he has more capacity to play wing and midfield later on whereas rotham will be more defence. But both are good prospects. The other player who i rate a lot is lupinski but 24 is too early for him.

Agree on Lipinski. I can see Wells reaching for him.

I'm losing hope on Ridley being available at our first.

Its an open draft so its hard to pick who will go there. Some clubs perceive florent as a flight risk so that may see him slide. Bolton and cox are perceived to be similar risks depending on who you talk to. Venables and withderens injuries might do likewise. Ridley is probably the most likely to be gone funnily enough (i wouldnt have predicted that 6 months ago).

I think I'd avoid Bolton for that reason. Cox less of a risk I think. But I have others ahead of both regardless. Would be surprised to see Florent reach us but the draft does throw up some unexpected ones every year. Ridley screams as being a Wells pick but he seems to to climbing in the rankings of late. I'm thinking we might just miss him.

This draft has a number of similar style players that if you miss out on one there will be another for you. It's those tall, flanker types like Ridley, Williamson, Rotham, Morrish, Duman and Dundan (I've probably missed another one or two). Ridley looks the pick of them to me but development will be the key. I'd love to walk away from this draft with Ridley and one of the others and chuck in Harry Morrison for that small defenders role we are screaming out for too.

Agree on Lipinski. I can see Wells reaching for him.

I'm losing hope on Ridley being available at our first.

Dogs who need defenders and essendon at 20 would be dangers on ridley. He is a 'dalrymple type'. I hope lipinski is there at 38.

Dogs who need defenders and essendon at 20 would be dangers on ridley. He is a 'dalrymple type'. I hope lipinski is there at 38.

I've been told by a very good source that the Dogs are after Marshall. If he's gone before their pick then maybe. I reckon you are on the money with the Dons. Brisbane the other. They have 16, 21 and 22. One could easily be used for Ridley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been told by a very good source that the Dogs are after Marshall. If he's gone before their pick then maybe. I reckon you are on the money with the Dons. Brisbane the other. They have 16, 21 and 22. One could easily be used for Ridley.

Makes sense as the dogs need kpf and also kpd if adams goes next year. Dogs receuiters like skilled versatile players though so i can see a ridley or witherden type appealing to them at 18/26.

Makes sense as the dogs need kpf and also kpd if adams goes next year. Dogs receuiters like skilled versatile players though so i can see a ridley or witherden type appealing to them at 18/26.

I could see the Dogs bidding on Macreadie and/or Sproule for those reasons.

And then select 2 or 3 Talls in Rookie draft - 2 mature ? We definitely need a Ruck and Ruck / forward and KPF or we may be caught with our pants down
No doubt we need to recruit a ruck but there will likely be some available in the rookie draft or as late picks. And potentially a couple of taller mature players will be picked late/rookie. Stewart and House are certainly chances to get drafted. And they'd all be handy players to try and develop for the future.
But other than Stewart none will be playing afl next year. So I don't think it's going to dramatically change the clubs fortune.
In order to have some cover in the ruck they'd really have needed to get a mature ruck. They haven't and likely won't which is a bit of a concern. Personally I would have kept Lucey but they've got high hopes for the new Irishman and academy players coming through.

Will Battle be a better player than Kersten? I know it wasn't completely unavoidable. But losing Kersten for nothing trading Caddy for 24 and using 24 on Battle. It just would make me hope he will be better than Kersten. They seem somewhat similar players although Battle looks to be more physical.

This draft has a number of similar style players that if you miss out on one there will be another for you. It's those tall, flanker types like Ridley, Williamson, Rotham, Morrish, Duman and Dundan (I've probably missed another one or two). Ridley looks the pick of them to me but development will be the key. I'd love to walk away from this draft with Ridley and one of the others and chuck in Harry Morrison for that small defenders role we are screaming out for too.
Like and have mentioned all those mentioned bar Morrish.
Others..
Walker was one I liked at the Champs , made the AA side , and has a nice left foot.
Cameron Zurhaar appeals although id not say he has the defensive pedigree as some of the others but he has appeal at both ends.
Brodie Romensky is someone that looks like a guy who could do the role of HBF. Finds the ball , 189cm
Josh Williams for quick rebound ..

There is plenty of HB types to choose from... but we really dont need too many after getting 2e.. its probably why I like the idea of someone who can play more than just one role.

and although not exactly HB s couple Falcons that been briefly mentioned Jack Henry and Pat Dowling. At 191 and very good leap I think Henry could well develop into that HBHF player.

Others..
Walker was one I liked at the Champs , made the AA side , and has a nice left foot.
Cameron Zurhaar appeals although id not say he has the defensive pedigree as some of the others but he has appeal at both ends.
Brodie Romensky is someone that looks like a guy who could do the role of HBF. Finds the ball , 189cm

There is plenty of HB types to choose from... but we really dont need too many after getting 2e.. its probably why I like the idea of someone who can play more than just one role.

and although not exactly HB s couple Falcons that been briefly mentioned Jack Henry and Pat Dowling. At 191 and very good leap I think Henry could well develop into that HBHF player.

Walker I do like. Different type to those others I mentioned but positionally will be similar. The others are athletically superior though Walker looks more your true footballer.

I'll have to check Zurhaar out again. He hasn't sprung out at me in the few games I've watched this year.

Henry is of a similar vein. Just looks a bit raw to me to be taken in the draft. But has potential no doubt. High rookie pick?

As you say, we really don't need too many. With Thurlow and Tuohy we have a couple of decent HBF's already. A smaller defensive player is possibly a higher priority hence Morrison's name being mentioned.

I think I'd avoid Bolton for that reason. Cox less of a risk I think. But I have others ahead of both regardless. Would be surprised to see Florent reach us but the draft does throw up some unexpected ones every year. Ridley screams as being a Wells pick but he seems to to climbing in the rankings of late. I'm thinking we might just miss him.

I will admit I don't have any real first hand knowledge on Bolton but people seem to be talking about him as a flight risk whether thats so I am not so sure. With Cox it does need to be factored in that after finishing school he went back to Halls Creek and nearly gave footy away and didn't come back. While it's good he has come down to Victoria as an overager this year there will always be a degree of home risk there with him and even more so if his cousin SPS goes to Freo (we have seen with the Kersten-Hamling situation how that influences things). I really like him as a player as he has class and his skills are very good but given those risk factors I really can't justify using a top 30 pick on him I would rather it's someone else's risk. I think to take him you would have to be very confident he will become a winger at AFL level and he would need to get his endurance up a lot for that because you can always get good small forwards late in drafts and this draft has good small forward depth. So picking him purely as a small forward with that early a pick is bad tactically. I think media people are just looking at 'geelong need speed cox is quick' and linking him to us without analysing it properly.

On Florent I would be surprised to see him get to us but it's unusual that after 11 only 3 vic clubs (18 20 and 23) have picks before us so he could slide a long way if North doesn't take him. The fact that so many interstate clubs have picks in the teens makes the draft order unpredictable.

I do like Ridley and I agree there is good depth of tall flankers in this draft, the only problem with picking a few of them is your side then becomes too tall as you have guys who are too good to leave out of the 22. So while I think Ridley has footy IQ we need to be careful about thinking where we would draft him to play position wise as I certainly don's want to see 5 talls in our back half! I don't think Brisbane is a huge risk with Ridley it goes without saying that Vic Country players tend to settle away from home better than Vic Metro players as most have been to boarding school prior to being drafted. So if you have retention issues like Brisbane do in line ball calls you are likely to prioritise Berry or Simpkin or Witherden types over say Ridley or Florent etc.

I could see the Dogs bidding on Macreadie and/or Sproule for those reasons.

I agree they need talls at both ends which they know given how they chased Hurley and got Cloke. If Marshall and Battle are gone before they pick the best value in talls then becomes bidding on the academy guys and seeing if someone passes like the Swans did with Dunkley.

I was thinking they could look at BCox for the same reason. They just lost Hamling.

Agree-I presume next year will be the last for both Boyd and Morris, Roberts is merely meh and there is already a lot of talk about Adams going home next year, so they are pretty thin for key defenders. Up the other end there is not much besides Boyd and Cloke if the latter can get it together. Cordy is an ordinary role player and Redpath has done what 3 knees now. I would expect them to go tall unless a really really good mid slides.

No doubt we need to recruit a ruck but there will likely be some available in the rookie draft or as late picks. And potentially a couple of taller mature players will be picked late/rookie. Stewart and House are certainly chances to get drafted. And they'd all be handy players to try and develop for the future.
But other than Stewart none will be playing afl next year. So I don't think it's going to dramatically change the clubs fortune.
In order to have some cover in the ruck they'd really have needed to get a mature ruck. They haven't and likely won't which is a bit of a concern. Personally I would have kept Lucey but they've got high hopes for the new Irishman and academy players coming through.

I wouldn't say that at all-we are going to take in 10 players across the drafts this month and given we are in a flag window there is no way we take 10 kids, there will be at least 2-3 mature age players in there IMO. It goes without saying we would expect Stewart to be one unless another club poaches him first it's just a question of who the other couple might be. Fort example we could look at Darcy Cameron as a plug in ruckman for next year, we may look at House as a KPF (although he needs more development), Atkins or Sexton as wingers or someone like Luke Ryan for the back half (although he is a very similar player to Stewart).

Last edited:
Others..

Don't mess with the Zurhaar!

His kicking is first class, but you're correct in saying he has no left foot.
Buckenara says: A South Australian, Hayward has uncanny skills but isn’t the greatest kick. He’s a player who has got that athleticism clubs like — he’s a 2.94 second 20m sprinter and his vertical leap is very good, ranking third at the combine. His kicking and his physical strength isn’t where it needs to be but he does have some traits. I’d like to see him concentrate on his ball use a bit more because he can do some clever things.

Seems His kicking isn't first class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back