Player Watch Brayden Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

iBsCmDB.jpg

Stop it with this wing rubbish. Needs to be a priority to develop him as a full time Onballer. Has the size and the lateral movement/awareness to become the prototypical modern day hybrid mid we all crave. Has an actual point of difference compared to our current blue collar midfield. Out of all the young Mids on our list, I genuinely think Cook has the highest ceiling of them all.

Stop it with this wing rubbish. Needs to be a priority to develop him as a full time Onballer. Has the size and the lateral movement/awareness to become the prototypical modern day hybrid mid we all crave. Has an actual point of difference compared to our current blue collar midfield. Out of all the young Mids on our list, I genuinely think Cook has the highest ceiling of them all.
He's played 25 games of footy in 3 years

What he's doing now is fine.

He seemed at lot more "present" tonight - in his other games I haven't noticed his possessions as much but this afternoon he looked assured and confident - and generally made great choices - get excited he has a future this lad.

In terms of South players - Palmer, the Brooksby brothers, Shane Butler, Kappler and the late great no.17 Mark Naley {sadly currently seeing his old neurologist but with a much better outlook}.
I grew up at Sturt due to family but ended up living at Panther Park and playing some bad underage games for South.

So good to see South really building some great kids they are obviously doing some good things.
John Schneebichler?

Eventually Cook will develop into a midfielder but right now we just need to get games into him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd have Mark Coombe a smidgin in front of Naley more on what could have been than anything, both absolute AA graders, Coombe's elite dual sided kicking gets him over the line for me.
Yeah Darren Troy was a beauty, and to think he wasn't getting games at the Cats, if I remember right we had thing going on with the Cats back in the day, another very good player we got over from then was Ruckman Rob Hawkins (brother of Jumpin' Jack Hawkins and Tom's uncle). Talking about tough buggers Alan White wasn't very big but he could handle himself. Some I reckon were underrated were Renz Bais, Geoff Baynes, Eddie Fry, Craig utensil and the Kappler Brothers Darren especially.
Craig utensil was a very good SANFL player but surely the worst kick that ever got a regular game at that level.

Andy Bennett’s 1979 season as an undersized ruckman was elite, Geoff Linke was an absolute star at FF for a few years and I cannot believe people seem to have forgotten John Schneebichler.

I’d also recommend David Young, Ron Hateley, Gary Mousley, Peter Haines and a left-field nominee for one or two seasons only, Chris Reynolds a big FF from Tassie who was the best wet weather contested overhead mark I can remember at any level - but sprayed his set shots worse than ROB.

He's also rather underdeveloped, and needs another 2ish years in the gym before he'll have the body to be an onballer.

I suspect that's his long-term pathway, with wing being a fine stopover position for a couple of years to get Cook used to being a midfielder.

We need to give him some exposure to the mid, sure, but I think just getting games into him and letting him develop his body and confidence in it after his injury run is pretty valuable.

We need to give him some exposure to the mid, sure, but I think just getting games into him and letting him develop his body and confidence in it after his injury run is pretty valuable.

Fair, I just genuinely believe this kid has everything needed to become a true top line in/out mid. I hope we don’t just pigeon hole him as a wing/HFF going forward.

Super frustrating that we don’t even roll guys like Cook/Rachele/Murphy/McHenry through the Centre Bounces at all. Even just for 3/4/5 a game to build that experience in there.

Fair, I just genuinely believe this kid has everything needed to become a true top line in/out mid. I hope we don’t just pigeon hole him as a wing/HFF going forward.

Super frustrating that we don’t even roll guys like Cook/Rachele/Murphy/McHenry through the Centre Bounces at all. Even just for 3/4/5 a game to build that experience in there.

Not going to find any argument here, we absolutely need to be exposing those guys to the midfield.

Wing is a pretty important spot still, and Cook’s skill set is well suited to it.

He might be a mid one day but if we threw him in now he’d probably struggle so I don’t see a problem with getting games into him on the wing.
Yes, let him settle into a role off a wing before mucking around with different roles.

Clearly has the talent, just needs to gain consistency which should come with experience & increased fitness.

Just have to fast track him & our best young talent to 50 games... which means not dropping him after a quiet game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back