AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-11-24/pick-25-josh-dunkley
Height: 189cm

Weight: 85kg

Club: Gippsland Power

Bio: Strong and courageous tall midfielder who is a prolific ball winner and a smart user of the ball. Is a very good mark overhead and can impact games as a forward. Outstanding leadership ability, and desire to compete at all times is a highlight. Injury interrupted season this year, but before that had an exceptional junior career. Was in considerations for our first pick at 11, before we traded out. Member of the NAB AFL Academy.

Snapshot: Contested weapon, with bucket loads of courage and excellent leadership potential. Clutch player who relishes big moments in games.

Welcome to the club mate. :thumbsu: :rainbow:

Why did the swans pass on him? Was it because they knew they'd need to keep the points for academy players? Seems a good get.
He made it pretty clear over the trade period that he wanted to stay in Victoria, and the Swans were pretty clear about not wanting to go into points deficit for next year. I assume (based on nothing concrete, just my own suppositions) that he nominated as a father-son on the understanding that the Swans would take him if an interstate team bid on him, and that bid wasn't too high.

Is this the first time a nominated father son hasn't had the bid from another team matched?

We didn't bid on Jayden Foster last year and he went to Carlton.
But we didn't nominate him. I think this is the first time that a team has nominated that they want the player then not matched the bid.

Looking forward to Josh proving a lot of people wrong

Last edited:
I'm backing him in.

No guarantees with Clay and Libba and we don't have as much inside height and depth as we'd like to think. Good selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh was my choice for this pick. He is a contested beast. I like the approach of picking players with elite traits and playing them to their strengths, and surrounding them with other players strong in other areas. Not everyone on the field has to be good at everything

Matthew Boyd couldn't kick either but still made AA in 2009. Luke Dahlhaus wasn't picked up in the ND due to his kicking as well

Yeah I'm on board this pick now. Just needs to sort out that kicking but sounds like he had some decent injuries this year.

Yeah I'm on board this pick now. Just needs to sort out that kicking but sounds like he had some decent injuries this year.
Foot and back. Don't reckon his kicking is as bad as it looked this year.

Liked his highlights, looks really calm and composed with the ball and so strong in and under. His kicking action looks ok and definitely something that can improve easily over time. Happy we got our guy that our staff clearly rated highly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back