Player Watch Sam Berry

Remove this Banner Ad

We should be looking to get this kid into the line up and McHenry is the one that should be dropped.

BUT we have to play Berry in the middle, having Keays spend more time forward along with Sloane.Laird can shuffle back with Jones/Hamill whilst Crouch is either in the middle, wing or bench

At this point, I'm leaning towards a few weeks in the SANFL and really build up some form. We don't want a revolving door of youngsters coming in and out, as that could wreck their confidence.

Pedlar would be similar. If we're not willing to give him a block of games in the AFL, play him as a forward/inside mid (it'll be a while before we commit to Pedlar as a full time mid due to how he has lacked durability in the past) in the SANFL until we are.

Absolutely agree. Let them develop a block of games in Sanfl to learn the craft against men. Then actually give them a crack in the middle when you put them up

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I was so impressed with sams game on Friday He looked a class above this level and dominated around the ball either in terms of his extraction and run and also his tackling. He reminded me at times of petracca in the way he moved away from the contest He has played well for two weeks now after a very lack lustre start to the year in the pre season games and first game of year His tackling continues to be a feature of his game

He must be close to getting another gig in the firsts but he is midfielder first and foremost but with Sloane coming back and being picked he may not be able to get back into the team this week. Pedlar cook ned Rowe at risk but I would not drop cook. He may not have done much on the weekend but he has that X factor we don’t have that much of atm

The other player to really impress was
Nankervis. He was playing as a key forward in the preseason and showed glimpses but he is not suited to this position ideally When he went to the wing in this game he really came into his own. He has a lot of potential he can jump and take a huge mark He has excellent pace and can kick on both sides of the body He can also find space that others cannot when in close quarters
So the Sloane in 2016/17 but can kick on both foot and quicker.

We should be looking to get this kid into the line up and McHenry is the one that should be dropped.

BUT we have to play Berry in the middle, having Keays spend more time forward along with Sloane.Laird can shuffle back with Jones/Hamill whilst Crouch is either in the middle, wing or bench

I think we’ve got to persist with McHenry for the moment. He’s playing a tough and relatively specialized role in that high half forward also tasked with being a key defensive pressure player. Few players have the engine and capacity to play the role, it’s certainly a role most of our other smaller forward options can’t really fill.

He’s also a player we’ve invested a lot in, in terms of both draft picks and now 30 odd games and only just into his 4th season. I don’t think he’s been as horrible as some suggest and would be giving him to mid season at least until the real pressure comes.

Absolutely agree. Let them develop a block of games in Sanfl to learn the craft against men. Then actually give them a crack in the middle when you put them up

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah absolutely, it’s not so hard when we win, but when losing most weeks, it gets hard but I think it’s really important for young players that they’re not in and out like a yo-yo, especially if “in” means out of position.

It’s no doubt important for players to get AFL experience in their development, but it’s also important they learn to play “their” long term position/role. Berry was denied the latter last year, having missed a year of footy the year before.

I’m somewhat glad that Himmelberg found some form, as it means we’re under no pressure to rush Thilthorpe back. I didn’t like dropping him after 1 game, but I’d like it less if we rich him back 2 games later. If he’s to become the player we expect, he should be absolutely dominating SANFL very soon. Let him build some confidence and understanding in his own abilities.

Marco Bello was interviewed today by Blight and he said the most impressive young player he’s seen over the preseason is Sam Berry; Marco said he is more explosive, he is able to play in the midfield more time than last year, get him in the bloody team this week.
And yet we’ve preferred Soligo over him so far so that doesn’t make sense

I think we’ve got to persist with McHenry for the moment.

No we really don't. He's had a boatload of games and produced nothing, rarely any glimpses even.

Meanwhile, with only a handful of games each Rachele and Gollant grab their opportunity by the scruff of the neck and influenced games.

You have it or you don't and the verdict was out on McHenry long ago.

Berry, Pedlar, Sog it's their time for opportunity - the old dogs can retreat to the flanks.

Loving this development and I don't think a chunk of SANFL games to start the year is a bad thing for Sam, given the role he plays in the AFL team can make for some lean days stats wise. It'll be good for him to have the knowledge and belief that he can rack the ball up playing against men.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take that up with 1970 Crow not me.

I've rated Sam Berry long before he was drafted by us, played some amazing footy for Gippy Power as an under ager playing 3rd or 4th banana behind Caleb Serong, Sam Flanders and Riley Baldi in their powerful midfield at the time. Sam played some particularly amazing footy when Serong and Flanders were away playing Nationals.
Fair enough but you brought up Danger, he doesnt have the speed of Danger or athleticism.

Agreed, was absolutely dominant and great to see. There were some good signs last year, especially when he was able to get up the ground and show his strength, balance, clean take and hard edge through the midfield, but got stuck mostly as that defensive small forward which he simply is not.

I'm torn between rewarding his strong resurgance of form and actually letting him consolidate for a few weeks as a genuine midfielder in the SANFL. If he's rushed back into the AFL, likely he gets minimal midfield opportunities and again languishes in the forward pocket.

I think Pedlar's in a similar boat, needs a few weeks of genuine midfield time in the sanfl to find some form and touch.
Totally agree - I think in Berry's and Pedlar's case they should have a few weeks in the SANFL playing midfield and dominating, hopefully giving the selectors no choice but to play them as the season progresses in the midfield not in the forward pocket. They both have talent and the skills we need in the centre.

Not quite the speed, not that he's slow with a 20m time of 3.02 sec but he's a pretty handy athlete bud, 6.10 2km and 21.7 YoYo test is in the top 5% endurance wise and running vertical jumps of 81cm right leg/94cm Left Leg also puts him right up at the very pointy end..

They're nothing alike, for gods sake.

Agree Mismatched and WheresGroomgone - but Nicks has already talked about Pedlar training and playing SANFL as a forward.

Which is whack.

Not particularly surprising, seeing Pedlar is going to be a slow burn due to his body. After all, this is a lad who's had a bad run with injuries.

I think Berry has a future in our side, but if he’s not getting CBAs, don’t play him

Don’t want to see him languishing on a HFF, with no real means to getting a lot of the ball

Agreed. He is as natural an inside mid as you can get, ludicrous to play him anywhere else.

I loved what he showed last year. It's frustrating that he's not played AFL footy yet in 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back