Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope not. He's a stopper, a role now made largely redundant with reduced rotations. Clurey, Austin and Hombsch as the talls, DBJ, Pittard and one of Krak or Bonner as the smalls should be the basis of the backline. Jacko can match up if we're playing a side with 2 195+ players, otherwise can be the intercepting mark or rest forward when not rucking (or be turned into a Westhoff who plays more than 1 quarter a game).

Game of Dominoes, innit?

If Jonas wants to stay as depth and for specific match-ups I'm fine with that. Minus the occasional physical brain farts, he is an upgrade on Stewart and definitely on O'Shea as depth utility defender. Westhoff in defence for long periods of time I'm not so fine with. I think we'll see him run off the bench a lot next year for shorter periods. He's not a one-on-one defender, he's not a clutch goal kicker, he's not a full time or even a full quarter ruck but he can relieve every KP on the ground and that has value.

Clurey is the right size, speed and sort of not-quite-midfielder defender to eventually replace Broady (but someone else will be kicking out!)

The icing on your suggestion cake is that it pushes Hartlett up where we need his skills the most: in the guts or at least on a wing in place of Jimmy for now.

What direction that leaves Impey developing in is another matter and a very important one because the kid has a bag of skills, not always consistently on show, and has a lot of toughness and we don't want to **** him around quite frankly. Does he aim to go to forward competing with Monfries/Young/Palmer or back competing with Broady/Krak/Bonner. More physical than Amon but not displaying the same potentially elite foot skills at this point.

One of those players who plays better at AFL than SANFL.
Throw Palmer in that bracket too (I hope). Down the track we might add Bonner Snelling Frampton as well.
If TJ isn't contracted, it wouldn't surprise me greatly if his spot on the list is under threat.
If we were ruthless and professional your right imo, but Ken loves him.

What direction that leaves Impey developing in is another matter and a very important one because the kid has a bag of skills, not always consistently on show, and has a lot of toughness and we don't want to **** him around quite frankly. Does he aim to go to forward competing with Monfries/Young/Palmer or back competing with Broady/Krak/Bonner. More physical than Amon but not displaying the same potentially elite foot skills at this point.
Midfield he's hard fast and a bit of mongrel in him too. He doesn't get stage fright either which is great.

a little bump by his buddy.

In all seriousness, Clurey is going to have a massive year ahead. I'm predicting he'll be our most important backman in 2017 and still find time to run havoc, in cameo spells, through the middle.

Entering next season with carlile retired his protoge will finally get a consistent chance. I personally believe he will play every home and away game; has a proven tank- doing well against riewoldt in a pre season game, foot skills and more than solid afl form against the likes of jeremy cameron, buddy franklin and tex walker. Has been a little bit exposed against the taller forwards/resting rucks but is sure to improve. Pretty excited for this lad in 2017 and locking down a best 22 spot

a little bump by his buddy.

In all seriousness, Clurey is going to have a massive year ahead. I'm predicting he'll be our most important backman in 2017 and still find time to run havoc, in cameo spells, through the middle.
Cameo spells through the middle ? I'd really like to see that. Takes me back to the "I'd like to see Brett Ebert in the middle days" .. You just know it won't happen. :(

Cameo spells through the middle ? I'd really like to see that. Takes me back to the "I'd like to see Brett Ebert in the middle days" .. You just know it won't happen. :(

I saw it against freo at subi oval. If he learnt to kick straight, he could pick up a goal or two a game.

Re the continued development of Tom Clurey, unless there are plans for Tom Jonas to return to his midfield tagging role of a few moons ago ( which is in my opinion unlikely ), then he will probably be vying with TJ for the 3rd tall defender's spot.

I had an interesting conversation with a long time Port connection the other day, who told me that he believes the reasoning behind TJ's 3 year contract, is that he will be appointed captain of the Maggies from season 2018.

Just in case anyone wants to get their knickers in a knot over that comment, there is no point in shooting the messenger! :rolleyes:

I must say my hopes have risen as a result of late last season. A couple of times Tom was caught one out deep in defence and with minimum fuss out marked his opponent.

There are * all players in the AFL who can do that.

It will be interesting to see which combination of tall defenders form our best team but I think Clurey will be a part of that.

Last edited:
Will be the biggest improver on our list in 2017 I suspect.

Has improved his defensive work, huge tank and can kick welll of both legs - he is the modern defender.

Agree Ken has managed his development wisely - not burning him by playing him too early or when not fully fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s time we got on board with the AFL and recognise that Tom has changed his name to Todd.

Todd Clurey was best on ground last night.

Well played Todd you destroyed Ted

58911EB4-6DAC-4F20-BE37-781743769D5D.png

Re the continued development of Tom Clurey, unless there are plans for Tom Jonas to return to his midfield tagging role of a few moons ago ( which is in my opinion unlikely ), then he will probably be vying with TJ for the 3rd tall defender's spot.

I had an interesting conversation with a long time Port connection the other day, who told me that he believes the reasoning behind TJ's 3 year contract, is that he will be appointed captain of the Maggies from season 2018.

Just in case anyone wants to get their knickers in a knot over that comment, there is no point in shooting the messenger! :rolleyes:
One of the best things I've found on this forum for worst prediction of all time, he ended up captaining the firsts not the seconds. It highlights how far Tom Jonas has risen since being taken in the rookie draft, and transitioning into a defender to now lead the club what a man.

Another journo who doesn't do their homework. Clurey has recounted the missing tooth story numerous times in the media over the years.

From Reece Homfray in 2019;

Dad had a hot tub spa a few years before I got drafted and it must have been school holidays and I had a mate stay over because we were marking lambs in the morning,” Clurey said. “We cranked it up before we went to bed and woke up in the morning, got in the spa and would have been in it for five minutes and I was feeling dizzy so I got out and just fainted."

It was posted by RussellEbertHandball at the time.

Another journo who doesn't do their homework. Clurey has recounted the missing tooth story numerous times in the media over the years.

Dad had a hot tub spa a few years before I got drafted and it must have been school holidays and I had a mate stay over because we were marking lambs in the morning,” Clurey said. “We cranked it up before we went to bed and woke up in the morning, got in the spa and would have been in it for five minutes and I was feeling dizzy so I got out and just fainted."

Are you seriously implying that AFL sports journalists dont do any homework and research before writing articles?

Shame on you!

Thanks Bevo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back