Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

I like him as a footballer, I just worry about the sort of forward he'd match up on. Doesn't have the height of Trengove/Austin, the athleticism of Hombsch/O'Shea or the strength of Carlile/Jonas. Maybe the thing he has going for him is stamina? I really like him against the Tom Lynch or Stewart Crameri medium marking forward types, but not every team has a Tom Lynch or Stewart Crameri medium marking forward type.

He was just about our best (least bad) player in that reaming we got from the Dogs and then got dropped the week after. Was a baffling call.
Like so many baffling calls so far this year.

It is interesting that always the side that is selected is full of deficiencies and a number of current incumbents are not performing their role and therefore should be replaced by this player or that based on mainly a feel for a good replacement or the development line..On both points I fail to see that Clurey Butcher Palmer Hoon Carlile Gray Achee etc could possibly be in the side on better replacement or justifying a development spot

Like who?
all those players we never played that became stars at other AFL clubs. ALL OF THEM.

like DBJ and Pittard

we are a better side for developing players. we are also a better side for playing guys and delisting them once we have given them an opportunity.

not developing players and delisting them as they don't perform is a self fulfilling prophecy

like DBJ and Pittard

we are a better side for developing players. we are also a better side for playing guys and delisting them once we have given them an opportunity.

not developing players and delisting them as they don't perform is a self fulfilling prophecy

Wat

Pittard whithering on the vine? My recollection is he played hardly any SANFL after his first season. As for DBJ no one was asking for his selection last year he turned a leaf this pre season and was selected within 3 weeks. The difference with these players we are comparing? They took their chances. We haven't lost players that go on to perform at other clubs who we didn't play in a decade... Plus. Fact is if you can't play well/develop at SANFL level you are not going to make it.

Turn on your TV and see Tom Mitchell. Developed at NEAFL level.

Clurey is last in line at the moment. Not sure Tom will make it, 4th year and yet to develop to a quality SANFL footballer. will give him a bit of a break missing some time this year, but would really want to come on in the next 10 games to get a contract. not sure where he stands at all. not really good enough defensively to displace key defender and doesn't really do enough offensively. Austin will come in before Clurey and that's the right decision.

YOu must have missed it when he came in the AFL team and played well only to find himself ditched.

View attachment 251149
There's no way he's not physically up to it.

Geez, a comparison between Cluzza and Reiwoldt o_O, now who was the Aussie comedy bloke whose catchphrase was ` I see it, but I don't believe it! ' ;)

Actually, being serious for a momento, I'm struggling just a tad, coz Reiwoldt at Cluzza's age would have torn the sanfl comp about 50 new a***holes. :rolleyes:

The season isn't too far gone yet for Clurey , I think he's still gaining fitness so I think it's premature to be calling that he's not going to get a run or is out of favour , I'm sure he would've been picked this week or earlier if he was in top form

Wat

Pittard whithering on the vine? My recollection is he played hardly any SANFL after his first season. As for DBJ no one was asking for his selection last year he turned a leaf this pre season and was selected within 3 weeks. The difference with these players we are comparing? They took their chances. We haven't lost players that go on to perform at other clubs who we didn't play in a decade... Plus. Fact is if you can't play well/develop at SANFL level you are not going to make it.

Turn on your TV and see Tom Mitchell. Developed at NEAFL level.

no, the exact opposite

we should play guys like DBJ and Pittard and they attest to the strategy of developing players.

persisting with journey men when our flag hopes are gone doesn't bode well with "we exist to win premierships". we need to build for 2017 by getting games into our youth and working out who gets a gig next years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So is Austin being taken up as an emergency a bad sign for Tom or just the reality of him still building fitness?

What do we need to see from him at SANFL level to warrant AFL selection considering he is a shut down defender?

I think we desperately need this guy to make it and he has all the tools to get there.

I was so cross with our selectors in 2014. Go back to the second showdown (that's right - the one that the crows won). Jacko didn't appear after half time and Bobby was next to useless in the last quarter. Both were diagnosed with long term injuries. There was the time to pump some games into Tommy, as he already had some afl games in him, but no we made up a makeshift defence until Jacko and Bobby returned. Such a stupid move by the club! However I hope and pray that number 17 will soon get games to cover the loss of Jonas. By the way wasn't number 17 worn by Martin Leslie - not a bad defender!! My memory my be wrong about Leslie, however?

I like him as a footballer, I just worry about the sort of forward he'd match up on. Doesn't have the height of Trengove/Austin, the athleticism of Hombsch/O'Shea or the strength of Carlile/Jonas. Maybe the thing he has going for him is stamina? I really like him against the Tom Lynch or Stewart Crameri medium marking forward types, but not every team has a Tom Lynch or Stewart Crameri medium marking forward type.

He was just about our best (least bad) player in that reaming we got from the Dogs and then got dropped the week after. Was a baffling call.
In an early post (from when he was drafted), there was mention that Clurey would be the best tall of the draft. Better than Stringer, beat Stringer in under 18s. He has got that going for him, which is nice.
image.jpeg

So is Austin being taken up as an emergency a bad sign for Tom or just the reality of him still building fitness?
He's building fitness still, As I said on the last page. We should revisit this in 3 weeks.

Anyone else think he needs to play the rest of the year regardless of form? He was unfairly dropped last year when playing some pretty solid footy. I don't want to see him dropped again for the likes of Jonas, He showed something in his first game back I thought, broke through a couple times and disposed of the ball nicely from the back,

Yes. Should remain in.

I think if he would have played quite a few more games this year if he didn't cop an early season injury.

I like the guy and think he has a good future.

Anyone else think he needs to play the rest of the year regardless of form? He was unfairly dropped last year when playing some pretty solid footy. I don't want to see him dropped again for the likes of Jonas, He showed something in his first game back I thought, broke through a couple times and disposed of the ball nicely from the back,
I like Clurey, he has good execution of the footy but it's all going to depend on Ken, when Hombsch & Jonas return they may push him out, if were up to me Clurey would play out the season.

Id be hugely dissappointed if he goes out for Jonas. Much better kick, stronger hands and more versatile. Jonas was an idiot, supposed to be a senior player and gets himself suspended for 6 weeks. Don't want to restart the whole debate about what he did and I really do like Jonas but he's got a fair bit to make up to the playing group.

I like Clurey, he has good execution of the footy but it's all going to depend on Ken, when Hombsch & Jonas return they may push him out, if were up to me Clurey would play out the season.

Clurey has more upside as a defender than Jonas, Trengove and Carlile

That said, his opportunities at AFL level have come late which might prove costly for himself and our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back