Prediction Pick 3 for 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Cuningham: really hoping we get to see a full season of this guy. Snippets over his career he has looked the good. Can kick goals and we need more.

Martin: same as above really.

Carroll: looking to see some improvement in this kid and if he can force himself into the team by years end.

Special mentions to Boyd and Honey. Hoping to see Boyd go to the next level and hoping Honey can recapture his form from the end of 2021 and if he can improve on it.
Some low probability picks there. You will be a hero or nuffing or perhaps something in between

I’m going the following 3 players only because I’ve heard what they received for Xmas:

Cunningham: should dominate as received a new knee and calf.

Gov: he got two new hammies so look out!

Williams: as he received a new Achilles, new calf and hamstring!

Hopefully all 3 have great years
who do we cannibalize to get these hypothetical parts from?
Edit we need 2 donors because there are 3 hammies on order

my support for paddy dow will continue into 2023..........

hanging-by-a-thread.png
Been gnawing at your tether...

1. Silvagni - bits player and master of none, this type gets overlooked quickly...
    Would love for JSOS to become the 3rd tall goal kicking forward we need... Excited this preseason for him, he seems to be training well from the vision I have seen and he has put on some size...
  2. Boyd - My man Boyd... With Walsh on the extended injury list and Docherty his likely replacement, Boyd should hopefully get his time to shin as a small defender...
  3. Cerra, Williams, Martin & McGovern - All highly paid trades that need to step up and show their talent for us to have a flag tilt in 2023 and beyond...
1675010460020.png

Can’t see Dow being in the side with any regularity or consistency, particularly with Walsh missing a chunk early which means our midfied running capacity has taken a big hit.

I don’t think he fits with Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy, and I would only want him in if two of those names were unavailable (and when that happened last year we opted to bring Doc into the middle instead of him). There would comfortably be at least 8 players ahead of him for centre-square midfield minutes and another 5 in contention after that.

Yes. Am surprised they kept him on the list. 23 years old so would really have to step up this year.

IMHO, three core components that will make us legitimate contenders this year are a creative small pressure forward, an intercepting rebounding defender and a dashing two-way wingman.

So, I’ll be keeping my fading eyesight on:
1) Motlop. Exciting if he can take a big leap forward, offer forward pressure & crumb at the feet of the talls.
2) McGovern. So critical to our structure and drive if he can stay fit and in form.
3) LOB. Add intensity and endurance to a deadly left peg and we’re cooking with gas.

Just feels wrong to leave out Dow ‘cause I had (have?) such high hopes for him. But more than anyone else on the list would love to see him firmly stake his claim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the Book of thylacine60 :

"Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out."

grenade GIF

My two cents;

Think that provided he stays fit people are going to be very surprised just how good Zac Williams is. Just the ultimate line breaker when he is on.

Mitch McGovern similarly is crucial. When you have two gun forwards the quicker you can get the ball down there the better. Williams. McGovern and Saad fit that bill.

Very high hopes for Ollie Hollands. Think that he will be an excellent pick up as a winger/flanker before graduating to the midfield

From the Book of thylacine60 :

"Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out."

grenade GIF
palin - the best of the pythons.........

Just too many options here so I’m gonna cheat and do a hopeful vs probable. Hopeful is players who I think reaching they’re potential will have the most benefit to our lineup and probable is who I’m most confident in reaching another level.

Hopeful-

Jack Martin- Has shown in glimpses he has the ability to be a top 3 medium/marking forward in the game. A huge hole in our current game is that player, and would push us right into top 4 consideration IMO

Mitch McGovern- Has similar traits in footskills and reading of the flight to Tom Stewart and if he could get some continuity and learn to read the play a little quicker, could be a huge offensive weapon out of the back half.

TDK- Still have no idea what this kid is gonna end up being, but if he somehow jumps up 3 or 4 layers to reach his potential as a creative ruckman who can do damage resting forward we’d be laughing.

Probables.

Jesse Motlop- was very impressed with how he finished his first year and by all reports has improved his endurance and also put on some size. Would love a Kozzy Pickett style second year from him and think he’s capable of 30+ if everything goes well.

Adam Cerra- his bookend games were proof of what he’s capable of and think another year of understanding teammates and game plan, and hopefully no niggling hammy issues will see him step up again this year. Needs to get those silky i50s he had at Freo going again.

Blake Acres- little left field, not so much his dramatic improvement but think he’ll thrive in our contested style and will have a big impact on filling one of the main holes we struggled with last year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For me I think three most important roles are:

1) Voss - clear concise game plan with plenty of belief instilled in the playing group is essential. As is drilling of high standards.

2) Russell (and by extension the high performance department) - keep our best on the park for longer and in peak physical condition.

3) Dr Tara Kavanagh (the team psychologist) - Keep players strong psychologically. Also help prevent problematic off field behaviour. We want our players to be resilient and tough.

I think we have a list that is talented enough and deep enough go far into the finals. I think keeping the team both physically and mentally strong all pulling in the same direction are the intangibles we need to go in our favour.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back