Prediction Pick 3 for 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Charlie Curnow becomes Kouta MKII.
2. TDK breakout year as ruck / forward .
3. McGovern nails the swingman role

The thing I will be looking forward to most is our gameplan and how that evolves, we were caught so far behind in this department last year and with a solid off season we should begin to see that evolve. However this thread is about players!

1. Carroll - I think he just has it. The last few games of VFL he played last year suggested to me that he might be over the development hump. How does he fit into our team with our midfield as stacked as it is? Hard to tell.

2. Motlop - Arguably one of the most important players in the team. I still think we are a little thin on small forward quality as the group we have is very raw. If he steps up big time and he progressed rapidly through last year then this makes a massive difference. He looks to me like a player who has the talent and mindset to explode when he matures.

3. Acres - It's going to be interesting to see how a proven next level wingman impacts our team. It was a weak point and now it isn't.

A special mention to McGovern. He played AA quality games for us last year but he only played very few. A full season at full fitness you have an AA back pocket on your hands.

So many more I could mention, it's a young exciting team that should be a premiership contender next year.

A special mention to McGovern. He played AA quality games for us last year but he only played very few. A full season at full fitness you have an AA back pocket on your hands.

So many more I could mention, it's a young exciting team that should be a premiership contender next year.
Hard to see McG at full fitness for a full season gb, going by his history and diminishing returns since peaking in 2016:

2014 - Drafted as 20 y.o
2015 - 0 afl games, 11 games in Crows reserves
2016 - 23 afl games
2017 - 13 games
2018 - 12 games

2019 - 16 games Blues
2020 - 12 games
2021 - 5 games
2022 - 7 games
2023 - ?

Hard to see McG at full fitness for a full season gb, going by his history and diminishing returns since peaking in 2016:

2014 - Drafted as 20 y.o
2015 - 0 afl games, 11 games in Crows reserves
2016 - 23 afl games
2017 - 13 games
2018 - 12 games

2019 - 16 games Blues
2020 - 12 games
2021 - 5 games
2022 - 7 games
2023 - ?
Lets hope this operation he's had has some positive effect.

Well the OP is ambiguous - allowing for whatever interpretation one chooses

I'm interested to see these blokes (hopefully) play every game

Cuningham
Marchbank
McGovern

they've all got factor X

I could add more - since the Club ( IMO) has more talent on the list than I have witnessed in the last 20 years.
These would be my three as well …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyd - He has a great combination of aggression and footskills. He should cement his role in the team
TDK - Should become the number 1 ruck option for the Blues and rest forward at times.
Cerra - He was slightly down on his potential last year, 2023 is the year he stamps himself as a prime mover.

Long shot potential - I thought it was going to be Honey last year, this year Philip should attempt to push out someone like Owies in the forward line.

selections show insight, forward thinking and a good knowledge of what we need to succeed.........
Where’s the spew emoji??>…….>…………..🤮…..oh, there it is. Spare me, no us.

I’ll be honest, I don’t get the Boyd love. There’s a reason his AFL journey has bought him here. A bit like Hayes, and I’m still not 100% sure why they let him go. One sling tackle on a flopper. He had as much potential as Boyd. Boyd, He’s a good kick, whoopdy-do.

Anyway, for the keyboard snipers -

1. Kemp - this is the year he plays 3rd tall and goes bang.
2. Cuningham- there’s your star wing. Just stay fit young man.
3. C.Durdin - had his down period. Can be one of the best small forwards in the league.

I actually can’t help myself and can’t stop at 3 as there’s so many intriguing seasons ahead for a large number of players…

Acres - really keen to see what he brings to our game. We desperately needed proven wingers this year and we’ve got one. Keen to see just how much we improve with some better connectivity in ball moment from BL to FL.

Boyd - I loved what I saw from him this year. I loved his aggression and ball use. If he plays, what does that mean for all of Williams, Newman, Doch and Saad. Not all of them can play in the same team, unless one of them is convert up the group (perhaps as a winger?)

Carroll - keen to see how this kid develops with another pre-season under his belt. Showed glimpses of what he can do this year, now needs to work on his consistency.

Cerra - I’m keen to see if he can take his game to another level. My gut feel is that the Cerra we see today is about as good as it gets (a good consistent type who won’t win too many matches off his own boot), however I hope I’m wrong and he can go to another level.

Cottrell - can he continue to improve? Showed at times this year just how good we can be, however he can’t do it consistently. Its all above the shoulders with him, can he fix that?

Crippa - can he do it again?

Cuningham - this is the guy I’m most interested in watching. Enters his 8th season with us, having played only 41 games. Almost certainly his last chance. Very keen to see if he can finally live up to his potential and stay healthy (they go hand-in-hand). Where does he line up? Forward pocket roles are probably gone - can he consistently play as a mid?

Charlie - can be back up his 2022 season?

TDK - break-out year? My gut says yes. Very keen to see him improve on his ruck-work and his forward craft.

Dow - seemingly his last chance - can he improve and cement himself in the side?

Fisher - does Fisher get pushed out this year? I felt he became more consistent as the year went on but he just doesn’t do enough, consistently enough throughout games. He’ll be up for his 100th game this year, so the experience is there and, IMO, there’s no more excuses.

Kennedy - was last year a flash in the pan or can be back it up?

Marchbank - so keen to see him have a full pre-season (touch wood) and get back to his very best. Time to prove the doubters wrong.

Martin - haven’t rated him since he came in through the door. Simply can’t string together 4 quarters, nor stay healthy. Second-last year of his long-term contract. Time is running out for him.

McGovern - he look so much better exiting the backline when he is in the side. Can he stay on the park? I hope he can put together his first full season since arriving at the club.

Mirkov - Entering his second pre-season at the club… Can he break in to the side this year?

Motlop - love this kid and see such a bright future for him. Can’t wait to see how he goes after another pre-season under his belt and a bunch more game time.

LOB - can he stay in the side? Or does he get squeezed out with the arrival of Acres? The heat is on LOB this season. If he can’t break in to the side after we have acquired 2 more young wingmen in the draft, then his days may be numbered.

Pittonet - I firmly believe that he is one of the best tap-ruckmen in the league. No coincidence how well we played in the earlier parts of year - a lot of it was down to the silver service he gave our mids.

JSOS - does he hold a spot in the side? IMO, he is the heart and soul and should be in the team over Martin, but he’s already been dropped before for there being no spot for him, will the same thing happen again in 2023?

Walsh - came fourth in the Brownlow 2 years ago and then came =13th with an interrupted preseason and commencement to the season. Can he win the whole thing this year? I reckon he can.

Lewis Young - just what could this guy become now that he has some confidence? I think he and Weiters will become a dominant pair down back this year. Can’t wait.

I actually can’t help myself and can’t stop at 3 as there’s so many intriguing seasons ahead for a large number of players…

Acres - really keen to see what he brings to our game. We desperately needed proven wingers this year and we’ve got one. Keen to see just how much we improve with some better connectivity in ball moment from BL to FL.

Boyd - I loved what I saw from him this year. I loved his aggression and ball use. If he plays, what does that mean for all of Williams, Newman, Doch and Saad. Not all of them can play in the same team, unless one of them is convert up the group (perhaps as a winger?)

Carroll - keen to see how this kid develops with another pre-season under his belt. Showed glimpses of what he can do this year, now needs to work on his consistency.

Cerra - I’m keen to see if he can take his game to another level. My gut feel is that the Cerra we see today is about as good as it gets (a good consistent type who won’t win too many matches off his own boot), however I hope I’m wrong and he can go to another level.

Cottrell - can he continue to improve? Showed at times this year just how good we can be, however he can’t do it consistently. Its all above the shoulders with him, can he fix that?

Cuningham - this is the guy I’m most interested in watching. Enters his 8th season with us, having played only 41 games. Almost certainly his last chance. Very keen to see if he can finally live up to his potential and stay healthy (they go hand-in-hand). Where does he line up? Forward pocket roles are probably gone - can he consistently play as a mid?

TDK - break-out year? My gut says yes. Very keen to see him improve on his ruck-work and his forward craft.

Dow - seemingly his last chance - can he improve and cement himself in the side?

Fisher - does Fisher get pushed out this year? I felt he became more consistent as the year went on but he just doesn’t do enough, consistently enough throughout games. He’ll be up for his 100th game this year, so the experience is there and, IMO, there’s no more excuses.

Marchbank - so keen to see him have a full pre-season (touch wood) and get back to his very best. Time to prove the doubters wrong.

Martin - haven’t rated him since he came in through the door. Simply can’t string together 4 quarters, nor stay healthy. Second-last year of his long-term contract. Time is running out for him.

McGovern - he look so much better exiting the backline when he is in the side. Can he stay on the park? I hope he can put together his first full season since arriving at the club.

Mirkov - Entering his second pre-season at the club… Can he break in to the side this year?

Motlop - love this kid and see such a bright future for him. Can’t wait to see how he goes after another pre-season under his belt and a bunch more game time.

LOB - can he stay in the side? Or does he get squeezed out with the arrival of Acres? The heat is on LOB this season. If he can’t break in to the side after we have acquired 2 more young wingmen in the draft, then his days may be numbered.

Pittonet - I firmly believe that he is one of the best tap-ruckmen in the league. No coincidence how well we played in the earlier parts of year - a lot of it was down to the silver service he gave our mids.

JSOS - does he hold a spot in the side? IMO, he is the heart and soul and should be in the team over Martin, but he’s already been dropped before for there being no spot for him, will the same thing happen again in 2023?

Walsh - came fourth in the Brownlow 2 years ago and then came =13th with an interrupted preseason and commencement to the season. Can he win the whole thing this year? I reckon he can.

Lewis Young - just what could this guy become now that he has some confidence? I think he and Weiters will become a dominant pair down back this year. Can’t wait.
I get it - you are really trying to trick @thelacine60 right?

The three you didn’t described are your three nominees :p

Kemp Durdin & Philp - simples!

Pittonet - I firmly believe that he is one of the best tap-ruckmen in the league.

yeah pick three was silly, so much upside in this team :yum:

I get it - you are really trying to trick @thelacine60 right?

The three you didn’t described are your three nominees :p

Kemp Durdin & Philp - simples!
Bow before me - I am The Lacine60!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back