Prediction Pick 3 for 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Paddy Dow-
With the Walsh injury he has a small window to work his butt off and get in that centre square that we drafted him for
Would love to see some explosion from the centre.

Charlie Curnow-
With a whole season under his belt and learning how to play with big H, he will go further ahead as THE elite forward of the comp. Will kick 100.

Mitch McGovern-
Get fit stay fit and play the 3rd tall interceptor role to a T. Then drift forward for the odd cameo.

Surely Paddy Dow-
With the Walsh injury he has a small window to work his butt off and get in that centre square that we drafted him for
Would love to see some explosion from the centre.

Charlie Curnow-
With a whole season under his belt and learning how to play with big H, he will go further ahead as THE elite forward of the comp. Will kick 100.

Mitch McGovern-
Get fit stay fit and play the 3rd tall interceptor role to a T. Then drift forward for the odd cameo.
yep

Cuningham: really hoping we get to see a full season of this guy. Snippets over his career he has looked the good. Can kick goals and we need more.

Martin: same as above really.

Carroll: looking to see some improvement in this kid and if he can force himself into the team by years end.

Special mentions to Boyd and Honey. Hoping to see Boyd go to the next level and hoping Honey can recapture his form from the end of 2021 and if he can improve on it.

Can’t see Dow being in the side with any regularity or consistency, particularly with Walsh missing a chunk early which means our midfied running capacity has taken a big hit.

I don’t think he fits with Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy, and I would only want him in if two of those names were unavailable (and when that happened last year we opted to bring Doc into the middle instead of him). There would comfortably be at least 8 players ahead of him for centre-square midfield minutes and another 5 in contention after that.

Charlie Curnow - don't think he's hit his ceiling yet - could be a top 5 player in the league, impacting like turn-of-the-century Kouta

Carrol - just reckon he needs a sniff - don't want to wish an injury on our midfield group, but if he got a shot I reckon he would then be difficult to keep out

Lemmy - very interested to watch his development in the VFL - see exactly how much potential we have on our hands, here

U bstrd! Looks like Carrol will get an early season shot with Walsh in traction.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

3 players, who for a number of different reasons are in the sweet spot to challenge for spots in our best 22.

Dow
Marchbank
Cuningham

There are others like Fogarty, O’Brien, McGov - but I feel we know what will get with these. The above mentioned can collectively provide much, much more to our best 22.
Dow at this level cannot seem put on significant body size[ would help him keep his feet. }... So his point of difference is breakaway speed from the packs.... And I'm not convinced that he will significantly develop this attribute further this year... He really needs this [ ala Smith from Footscray] as other additions on the list over the off season will overtake him

my support for paddy dow will continue into 2023..........

hanging-by-a-thread.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Walsh out for an extended period, it has to be Paddy Dow who steps up to live up to his drafted potential (or it's over)...
Time for a small forward to finally cement their spot, to take the mantle of Eddie, Jesse Motlop come on down.......
Have been slaughtered by small forwards for two decades, Jordan Boyd your time has arrived.
Special mentions to McGov, JSOS, and TDK all who can have a year to earn All Ozzie

1. Silvagni - bits player and master of none, this type gets overlooked quickly...
    Would love for JSOS to become the 3rd tall goal kicking forward we need... Excited this preseason for him, he seems to be training well from the vision I have seen and he has put on some size...
  2. Boyd - My man Boyd... With Walsh on the extended injury list and Docherty his likely replacement, Boyd should hopefully get his time to shin as a small defender...
  3. Cerra, Williams, Martin & McGovern - All highly paid trades that need to step up and show their talent for us to have a flag tilt in 2023 and beyond...

Can’t see Dow being in the side with any regularity or consistency, particularly with Walsh missing a chunk early which means our midfied running capacity has taken a big hit.

I don’t think he fits with Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy, and I would only want him in if two of those names were unavailable (and when that happened last year we opted to bring Doc into the middle instead of him). There would comfortably be at least 8 players ahead of him for centre-square midfield minutes and another 5 in contention after that.
yes..he will need to be trialed first in the VFL if he can totally do that....he might get a bit of a depth role but not very often

Even Cerra came under comment he wasnt doing great at times in 2022....so Dow is well off the pace,he might have worked hard to make it,however it does look he might be depth at best....[we have been thru this a lot and yes,not too much change there]

yes..he will need to be trialed first in the VFL if he can totally do that....he might get a bit of a depth role but not very often

Even Cerra came under comment he wasnt doing great at times in 2022....so Dow is well off the pace,he might have worked hard to make it,however it does look he might be depth at best....[we have been thru this a lot and yes,not too much change there]
Despite his interrupted season and some inconsistency, pretty sure Cerra still averaged more disposals (just), more tackles, more clearances, and more contested possessions than the previous year at Freo.

Dow did his thing in the VFL, played on ball, had his 28-32 and kicked about goal a game. The issue is what happens post-clearance.

Adam Cerra to go next level, decent first year at blues. Showed up in some big games. I loved him full time on ball. I’d like to see him play there more because he can be inconsistent in different areas. My hope for Adam is to cement a full time midfield spot and develop more versatility and a bigger tank.

Lewis Young- He had a great first year in navy blue. Really stood up when weitering went down and and after weiters came back still was probably our best key defender in the 2nd half of the year. Reminds me a lot of the way Liam Jones played for us. My hope with Young is having a 2nd preseason as a key defender and hopefully a consistent back 6 to play with he will go to that next level and be in the top 40. AA team at the least!!

Tom De Koning- my third selection coming out of contract which usually means the player has there career best season. Media already pumping up he will receive a monster contract. But my believe is his a huge talent but has he done enough consistently to warrant this ? Simple answer no.
My hope for us is he locks himself into the 22. As a fwd/ruck or ruck FWD. For us to make finals you need 2 players to kick 50. 2 players to kick 30 and a mid to kick in the 20s.
Can Tom with his contested marking ability and ruck work have a year similar to Rory Lobb from Fremantle ?
LOBB kick 36 goals averaged 5 marks 12 disposals a game and ranked top 3 for contested marks. I think Tom can post these numbers and I hope he does cause we are crying out for a Gun third tall forward who can kick over 30 snags.

Tom De Koning- my third selection coming out of contract which usually means the player has there career best season. Media already pumping up he will receive a monster contract. But my believe is his a huge talent but has he done enough consistently to warrant this ? Simple answer no.
My hope for us is he locks himself into the 22. As a fwd/ruck or ruck FWD. For us to make finals you need 2 players to kick 50. 2 players to kick 30 and a mid to kick in the 20s.
Can Tom with his contested marking ability and ruck work have a year similar to Rory Lobb from Fremantle ?
LOBB kick 36 goals averaged 5 marks 12 disposals a game and ranked top 3 for contested marks. I think Tom can post these numbers and I hope he does cause we are crying out for a Gun third tall forward who can kick over 30 snags.

I agree TDK could be a big improver for us this year but I don’t think it’s realistic to expect him to contribute up forward when he has shown very little ability to hit the scoreboard so far in his career.

Lobb is a key forward who occasionally rucks whereas Tom is a ruckman first and foremost so the comparison is not really relevant.

Despite his interrupted season and some inconsistency, pretty sure Cerra still averaged more disposals (just), more tackles, more clearances, and more contested possessions than the previous year at Freo.

Dow did his thing in the VFL, played on ball, had his 28-32 and kicked about goal a game. The issue is what happens post-clearance.
Make it Cerra then
Cerra
Hewett[need him very much to drive midfield-yes it was Hewett]
Motlop

I agree TDK could be a big improver for us this year but I don’t think it’s realistic to expect him to contribute up forward when he has shown very little ability to hit the scoreboard so far in his career.

Lobb is a key forward who occasionally rucks whereas Tom is a ruckman first and foremost so the comparison is not really relevant.
Lobb......a very valuable player,match performer!
interesting comparison,Certainly TDK is very athletic in his younger years relying on his leap and flexibility to mark,where as Lobb - much stronger and will outposition opponents,excellent mark and kick..
In the Ruck TDK can also improve probably vastly,at times he seems to be leaping around frantically in the ruck...TDK will need experience and perhaps a bit more bulk to get him the confidence to outposition more...ps i think TDK could also be an excellent key forward,i see him as 50/50 forward/ruck.

O'Brien - think all the new outside players recruited will drive him harder to lock down a wing

Mirkov - his tap work will force him into the side, think he could be our number 1 ruck by the end of the year

Marchbank - becomes a dynamic 3rd intercept marker, that makes our backline the strongest in the comp. Think nearly Tom Stewart level good.

Cerra - Expected more from him in 2022 so I’m hoping he can push for AA-selection in 2023.

McGovern - Needs to stay fit and play 18+ games. Could be the missing piece of the puzzle if he can find confidence and consistency.

De Koning - Time to step up and take the number one ruck spot, has the talent to do so.

Dow - 90% sure his career is effectively over. Hoping like hell he can finally show something and break into the side… but I’m not holding my breath.

I realise I chose four, but…🤷‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back