Toast Pick #3 - Welcome to Carlton Paddy Dow!

Remove this Banner Ad

biased opinion kotton but good to hear regardless - bubbly demeanor? is that from obrien's online dating profile? he's probably dte with a gsoh as well
Apparently everything you learnt about the internet was from a Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan movie...

Most inside players succumb to the occasional spray or simply bombing it up forward without much thought.
This was our game plan for nearly three years there a while back - probably worked out least best for Malthouse i guess.

Article suggests a Paddy Dow is on track for a round 1 debut, (Only 2 months and 2 days):

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-20/all-clubs-draftee-and-rookie-watch

CAR-2L.jpg

Paddy Dow arrived at Ikon Park amid plenty of fanfare as the No.3 pick in last November’s NAB AFL Draft and he has not disappointed, according to track-watchers. The hard-running midfielder from Swan Hill has settled in well despite having surgery on his right shoulder last year, and the Blues are rapt with his progress. Not far behind Dow is his former Bendigo Pioneers teammate Lochie O’Brien, who has impressed with his enthusiasm, work ethic and bubbly demeanour. Carlton is confident about the prospects of this midfield pair, who should help cover the loss of experienced campaigner Bryce Gibbs to Adelaide. Former Port Adelaide defender Cameron O’Shea is determined to make the most of his second chance at AFL level after starring with the Northern Blues last season.

The standout: Paddy Dow, who is on track for a round one debut. - Howard Kotton
Bit harsh calling Gibbs a campaigner.

Isn't he that hack that just bombs it long without looking. Be lucky to be in the 2s best these days .
Not worth a second rounder and fringe player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen him 3 times at training now since he was drafted. Amazing change in body shape and muscle tone in only a couple of months. Will play Round One
Another one benefitting from the Adelaide program or are we back on topic?

Seen him 3 times at training now since he was drafted. Amazing change in body shape and muscle tone in only a couple of months. Will play Round One

Personally, this was one of the main reasons i wanted him. It's hard to put into words but he looked like a raw product, packed full of untapped power, just waiting to be developed in an AFL environment.

I'm sure nearly all the Clubs with Top 6 picks the last 2 years are happy with their picks, but i'm rapt we got Samo and Paddy. I had Samo at No.2 in his draft and Paddy at No.1 in his. They were who i wanted us to nab leading into their drafts and wouldn't swap either now.

It's great to be on the same wavelength as the Club recruiters lol. Helps you to be positive about our players right from the start.

Personally, this was one of the main reasons i wanted him. It's hard to put into words but he looked like a raw product, packed full of untapped power, just waiting to be developed in an AFL environment.

I'm sure nearly all the Clubs with Top 6 picks the last 2 years are happy with their picks, but i'm rapt we got Samo and Paddy. I had Samo at No.2 in his draft and Paddy at No.1 in his. They were who i wanted us to nab leading into their drafts and wouldn't swap either now.

It's great to be on the same wavelength as the Club recruiters lol. Helps you to be positive about our players right from the start.
My concern with that always remains with the idea of you don't know how putting that weight on quickly impacts them long term, or if their bodies can sustain it without wear and tear.

This concern has obviously lessened with players being much leaner than they were 5 years ago, but it remains difficult to predict who will really bulk up. We're lucky to have Cripps and Charlie, but I think if Kennedy is our next biggest midfielder going forward the lack of medium/tall mids with some raw pace in their athletic kit is going to hurt us.

Dow technically addresses this, but he's right at the bottom of that range.

My concern with that always remains with the idea of you don't know how putting that weight on quickly impacts them long term, or if their bodies can sustain it without wear and tear.

This concern has obviously lessened with players being much leaner than they were 5 years ago, but it remains difficult to predict who will really bulk up. We're lucky to have Cripps and Charlie, but I think if Kennedy is our next biggest midfielder going forward the lack of medium/tall mids with some raw pace in their athletic kit is going to hurt us.

Dow technically addresses this, but he's right at the bottom of that range.

I don't see it as an issue. Cripps Charlie Kennedy & Dow have size and it wouldn't surprise me if Willo goes through the middle at some stage. SPS isn't small and is hard at it and has some leg speed as has Cuningham, Pickett is quick as is Polson Garlett & Fisher and LOB can run and use it well. Curnow is tough as is Lang and Murphy still has time. I see great balance and depth developing

I don't see it as an issue. Cripps Charlie Kennedy & Dow have size and it wouldn't surprise me if Willo goes through the middle at some stage. SPS isn't small and is hard at it and has some leg speed as has Cuningham, Pickett is quick as is Polson Garlett & Fisher and LOB can run and use it well. Curnow is tough as is Lang and Murphy still has time. I see great balance and depth developing
Right now it's just Cripps, and the rest is hoping they gain the strength and game sense.

When you look at the heights of what you might call out 'extended midfielder list' you can break it up into a few groups. I've bolded those in the consensus 25 (inc. emg) and chucked italics on others that could possibly be in the 22/25 mix next year (doc underlined as well because he definitely will be).

Cripps, Charlie
Schumacher, Kennedy, Kerridge, Williamson, Shaw
Dow, Thomas, O'Brien, Doc, Mullett, Cuningham, Lang, Ed, Graham
Jed, Simmo, Samo, Garlett, Murphy, Wright, Pickett, Polson, Fisher, LeBois

Realistically we our midfield group this year will probably regularly feature the two big bastards, Kennedy & Willo who aren't small, maybe 3 or 4 of the sort of average guys (Ed, Lang, Dow maybe Cuningham or even Mullett) and I'd expect 6 or 7 of the smaller guys to be there (Murph and Samo starting mid with another 4-5 starting as forwards, defenders or on the bench).

Considering this is the Dow thread, I'll add that he looks like he's going to keep growing and could end up in that bracket above with Kennedy and Willo. Won't take much for him to get ther.

The consensus team reckons our starting square and wingers will have Cripps (195), Kennedy (188), Ed (182), Samo (181) and Murph (180). That feels fairly balanced.

"Right footed midfielder who was superb for the AFL Academy in their game against the Northern Blues"

Anyone found a full match reply of that game??

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Plays one good game against us and we recruit him. Typical bloody Carlton!

Seen him (Dow) 3 times at training now since he was drafted. Amazing change in body shape and muscle tone in only a couple of months. Will play Round One

From the photos I've seen it really is an amazing change like you've said. He just looks so powerful now, it's crazy.

He'll be the standout player in his draft. His attributes are Judd like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back