#6 Luke Jackson - Going west (life is peaceful there)

Remove this Banner Ad

My old man still hangs on his hat on confidently picking Franklin as the next mega-star of the AFL in the warmup of our Round 8 game in 2005. He'd played 7 unremarkable games to that point. His point is always the same, "It was an easy call. He was a giant, and not unco."

I'm not suggesting Jackson will be anywhere near as good as Franklin, even half as good would be a pipe dream. But looking at his highlights vid - the first thing I see a giant who is not an unco. Can see why we went for him. Not happy that a) he plays ruck, b) he's from WA and c) has no real form as a forward but he's ours now so I'll get around him.

~30 goals helping T-Mac up forward this year please and thank you.

Time to put pressure on Weid to up his game and have a breakout year.

Franklin kicked 20 in his first year and he was playing with blokes who could kick. Maybe Jackson will become that gun forward for us, but I hope he's not in our side next year. He's still a skinny beanpole, agile as he may be.

Franklin kicked 20 in his first year and he was playing with blokes who could kick. Maybe Jackson will become that gun forward for us, but I hope he's not in our side next year. He's still a skinny beanpole, agile as he may be.
You’re wrong and he’s the next big thing. Massive.

You’re wrong and he’s the next big thing. Massive.

Didn't see Cher on the TV tonight. Find it hard to believe he's going to be the next thing when his own mother won't be seen in public with him.

Would have preferred to use pick 3 on a footballer with good footy IQ and some ability to kick a football but here we are with a project ruckman that's come across from basketball

If you guys think he's going to offer anything in the forward line in 2020-2022 at the earliest then I think you're going to be disappointed. I don't think he's even kicked more than 2 goals in a game of footy this year.

I feel like an AFL standard defender will make him look silly in a marking contest.

Anyway, bring on whack-o-Jacko, may his 'movement through traffic' guide us to a premiership in 2020

Would have preferred to use pick 3 on a footballer with good footy IQ and some ability to kick a football but here we are with a project ruckman that's come across from basketball

If you guys think he's going to offer anything in the forward line in 2020-2022 at the earliest then I think you're going to be disappointed. I don't think he's even kicked more than 2 goals in a game of footy this year.

I feel like an AFL standard defender will make him look silly in a marking contest.

Anyway, bring on whack-o-Jacko, may his 'movement through traffic' guide us to a premiership in 2020

I'd be less worried about him getting made to look silly in a marking contest rather than getting buried into the turf and not getting up for 12 months. On the other hand, imagine how many frees he'll get with his head over the ball with a chin that size and hair that goes everywhere...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe this kid will next year:
Be decent as a backup ruck when Gawn is resting
Do the forward ruck duties allowing Gawn to play a kick behind the ball intercept marking
Allow Weid to focus solely on being a forward

New highlights package is much more impressive than the one we saw before. I recommend everyone here watch this before they decide to slit their wrists:

This shows that a) he can take a contested mark, b) he can kick goals, and c) he can kick on both sides.

It's a risk of sorts, he'll probably need some time to make a consistant contribution and perhaps he doesn't really fill a need for the time being, but there's no doubt there's a lot there to work with. Honestly, I'm enjoying seeing us being a little bit bold with our recruiting as opposed to employing the strategy of recruiting "safe", vanilla players like we did for most of the era before Paul Roos, and which got us precisely nowhere.

New highlights package is much more impressive than the one we saw before. I recommend everyone here watch this before they decide to slit their wrists:

This shows that a) he can take a contested mark, b) he can kick goals, and c) he can kick on both sides.

It's a risk of sorts, he'll probably need some time to make a consistant contribution and perhaps he doesn't really fill a need for the time being, but there's no doubt there's a lot there to work with. Honestly, I'm enjoying seeing us being a little bit bold with our recruiting as opposed to employing the strategy of recruiting "safe", vanilla players like we did for most of the era before Paul Roos, and which got us precisely nowhere.

Jesus watching him clunk some of those big marks reminds me a lot of Tom Lynch from the tiges..

He'll get to learn off gawn so that's the bonus in the long run

Its as if the recruiting staff asked themselves: 'What would Melbourne do with pick 3?' then did the complete opposite in selecting Jackson.

Also, I believe he is the first Jackson we've had since Ricky!

The last Luke Jackson to be selected by a team in the first round was a massive bust.... Both Luke Jackson's stand around 6"5 🤔

After doing some deep research last night i also found out that the NBA and AFL both have an "A" in their name , and both sports use a ball.

Don't shoot the messenger but...

all signs point to John Messen. ☹️

I just don't see where he fits with Gawn in the side. It's a confusing pick if he is going to play majority ruck.

I just don't see where he fits with Gawn in the side. It's a confusing pick if he is going to play majority ruck.
Goodwin was talking about him playing as a mid his agility is apparently that good.

He did genuinely say this, if I was making it up I'd have said he'd play as an inside mid.

I've probably just cursed him to a life as an inside mid.

Melbourne loves to burn 1st round picks on players named Luke/Lucas

Molan. Tapscott. Cook.

Jackson will be best of the bunch
By best I assume you mean worst.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back