Pick #30 (2012) - Mason Shaw

Remove this Banner Ad

gray shaw monfries
westhoff butcher p.stewert

i like that forward line. pretty potent. wingard rotating into 50. moore dropping into there for pstew if he needs to go back. young can go in there as well.

Jay ****ing Schulz.

I know what you are trying to do there, future forwardline, but I bloody well hope Schulzy will be around for a few more years!

Well Done Port. You got a very Good Key Forward at Pick 30. I was Hoping freo were going to get him at Pick 17. Then I hoped Freo were going to get him at their next pick at 36. If anyone watched the draft live, I was a bit surprised he was picked at Port as you guys have a few Key forwards already.

If anyone noticed this on the Draft, When It was freos turn at Pick 36, There was a 2-3 minute wait. I could tell Freo wanted Shaw at 36. Freo got a Key defender in the end at 36.

I was a bit surprised he was picked at Port as you guys have a few Key forwards already.

Not really.

1. Schulz (too fearless for his own good, misses a lot of games)
2. Butcher (jury's still out on his body's ability to handle the rigours of AFL footy)
3. Westhoff (not really a key forward)
4. D. Stewart (last chance saloon, has gone backwards)
5. Salter (last chance saloon, has lost 2-3 years of his career being pigeon-holed as a backman)

If Shaw can have a big preseason he might find himself a permanent starter if Butcher has another stuttering start to the year off the back of hip surgery.

Also Schulz has never played a full season.

Edit: Oh wait yoy mentioned that. I need to stop posting tonight.

Not really.

1. Schulz (too fearless for his own good, misses a lot of games)
2. Butcher (jury's still out on his body's ability to handle the rigours of AFL footy)
3. Westhoff (not really a key forward)
4. D. Stewart (last chance saloon, has gone backwards)
5. Salter (last chance saloon, has lost 2-3 years of his career being pigeon-holed as a backman)

If Shaw can have a big preseason he might find himself a permanent starter if Butcher has another stuttering start to the year off the back of hip surgery.

Schultz is easily the Best Key forward at Port this season. 42 goals of 16 games is not bad. A full season he will kick 50-60.

Butcher isnt that bad. He needs to gain a few kgs around the arms.

Westoff does look like a Key forward in a way. He usually plays 20 games and Kicks 30 goals a season. Not the Best but Serviceable. I wouldn't call him a Spear head but a decent 2nd or 3rd tall. I wouldnt mind him at freo. As I said here on the Port board, I rather a Limbless Justin Westoff than Jack Anthony.

D. Stewart and Salter Surprise me. I wondered why both are Struggling in the last 2 years. I actually thought D. Stewart was a ruckman as he is 200 cm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fills a massive need for us in the KPF department, will effectively be taking D Stewart's position if current inertia is maintained. Marking and goalkicking are his obvious strengths, seems pretty lively when he's on but sounds like he needs a kick up the arse after a year of taking it easy, which is largely why he was still there at 30.

Beautiful size for a modern KPF, unlike the bevy of undersized key forwards and defenders available this year.

Lots to work with, but lots to do, looking forward to seeing him progress.

I like us taking a key position forward.

I like it even more that he is of genuine size, plus from the photos, he has the sort of frame that can be built on to become a monster key forward.

A good pick at 30.

261582.jpg

Fills a massive need for us in the KPF department, will effectively be taking D Stewart's position if current inertia is maintained. Marking and goalkicking are his obvious strengths, seems pretty lively when he's on but sounds like he needs a kick up the arse after a year of taking it easy, which is largely why he was still there at 30.

Beautiful size for a modern KPF, unlike the bevy of undersized key forwards and defenders available this year.

Lots to work with, but lots to do, looking forward to seeing him progress.

I'm not sure he took it easy - he had his cheekbone and eye socket fractured in a behind the play incident with Eagle Mitch Brown (later ruled to be 'accidental')in a trial game. The injury needed surgery and missed more 3 months of football at the start of the season.

Article

Shaw Thing (AFL bio)

I reckon we stuffed up this pick. Knightmare has him as a similar type player to Tippett so I'm pretty sure in 4 years time he'll be doing mrs mac adds and will thrn dog us to retutn home to sydney ;)

I actually like this pick a fair bit. Seen a little of him play, and I agree with Quigley that he can be a little disinterested if the ball is not being served directly to him. However his natural ability as a key forward was extremely evident with ball in hand. In this regard reminds me of Walker in his first few years, absolute lazy s**t but a tonne of ability. The good thing is, with Schulz, Butcher and guys like Westhoff/DStew/Jurrah? up forward at the moment we don't need to rush him straight in to the team. Sure, he may be better already than a few of those options, but we have the opportunity to really develop his attitude and make him earn his spot.
Really just hope we get Tredders along to mentor the crap out of him, like he did with Walker.

I reckon we stuffed up this pick. Knightmare has him as a similar type player to Tippett so I'm pretty sure in 4 years time he'll be doing mrs mac adds and will thrn dog us to retutn home to sydney ;)

Too many Wines Malibu? :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back