Delisted #16: Josh Begley - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

What about Anthony Hudson?
Regular head, tiny body. Dean Brogan is underrated though, the face stops but the head keeps going.

200111.jpg

So he didn't do a proper season and with his current frame he did a 13.8 beep test, 10.39 minute 3km time trial and 3.01 second 20m sprint.
If he drops more weight and gets around the 88kg mark hes going to improve heaps.
Could be the best weight loss story to AFL athlete since Mumford.

Reckon Begley will be trained as a midfielder - Will probably be more a forward for the first three years but should enter the midfield in year 4 - I don't see Begley as a permanent forward.

Just watched Begleys highlights video on AFL website - 95% of the time you watch these and come away none the wiser. Occasionally one jumps out at you though and you see something - the guy just looks like a player. Begley was one of those for me.

Powerful body, quick off the mark, small turning circle, kicks with both feet and kicks goals in all manner of ways. This, combined with the running ability mentioned a couple of posts up, has me excited.

I have honestly struggled with a comparison with him, it's been on the tip of my tongue for ages. I figured it out, he reminds me of a young Brad Johnson.

Last edited:
He'll always be 'Begby' to me ( ;) ) so vote for a thread title change to

Pick #31 - Josh "Begby" Begley - Welcome to Essendon!

& if he's got Bewick's endorsement, that's good enough for me.

& had to take out an investigator's licence to find his highlights vid on that ******* website...

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-01-18/draft-prospect-joshua-begley
Outside 50 through the middle. Took something off one to pass it 40odd to the top of the square. Could be a deadly chf. Also, maybe joeys kicking coach

Hardest player to have a comparison for.

Maybe a mix between Dew and Crameri.

Im really unsure on this bloke does he have enough AFL attributes, whats his position ect

However hes probably the most exciting of the lot for mine

So he didn't do a proper season and with his current frame he did a 13.8 beep test, 10.39 minute 3km time trial and 3.01 second 20m sprint.
If he drops more weight and gets around the 88kg mark hes going to improve heaps.
Could be the best weight loss story to AFL athlete since Mumford.

Those numbers are good in their own right. Dodoro wasn't lying when he was talking about Begley's athleticism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never done the whole "my boy" thing....but think I want to with this guy.

Is there a form I need to fill in? A templated statement perhaps?

Hardest player to have a comparison for.

Maybe a mix between Dew and Crameri.

Im really unsure on this bloke does he have enough AFL attributes, whats his position ect

However hes probably the most exciting of the lot for mine

Begley got picked up because of his multitude of AFL attributes. Question marks over his ability to play midfield and the fact he didn't play champs is why he wasn't taken higher.

Begley got picked up because of his multitude of AFL attributes. Question marks over his ability to play midfield and the fact he didn't play champs is why he wasn't taken higher.

Thats why i questioned his best position at AFL. He has a big kick and good natural hands but once that ball is spoiled like alot are in AFL whats his next option. Hed be one that youd want to have watched alot of to know if hes a one trick pony or not.

Hes endurance also looks quite good bordering on elite. He will be running a sub 10 min/3km after this preseason i have no doubt

Thats why i questioned his best position at AFL. He has a big kick and good natural hands but once that ball is spoiled like alot are in AFL whats his next option. Hed be one that youd want to have watched alot of to know if hes a one trick pony or not.

Hes endurance also looks quite good bordering on elite. He will be running a sub 10 min/3km after this preseason i have no doubt

He strong at ground level.

I see Begley as a strong chance to succeed at AFL level the bigger question is he Christian Petrucca or is he Tom Bell.

My projections are Begley will be an inside midfielder - Seems to read the ball well from hands at stoppages, seems to be a clean ball handler and appears to have soft hands in tight.

Essendon website has just done an interview with Josh he sounds like a ripper to me looks genuinely grateful to be on an AFL list.
Good to see he acknowledges the hard work is only just beginning, agree I think we've got a ripper here. Too many draftee's over the years seem to take it for granted and then wash out a year or two later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back