Joe Atley

Remove this Banner Ad

We could have played him and he could have shown flashes of Brilliance as Parish did, however Parish has hit a wall at pace, we need to have faith that he understands playing AFL football isn’t the be all and end all, he needs to build himself to be a decade long star, not a Dean Polo flash in the pan!

Outside flanker, that’s not saying he couldn’t develop into a Fyfe or Bont however! If he was available at our Third or Fourth selection I would swoop!

What’s his kicking like, I’d be interested.... particularly if it helps us keep his brother.

Atley is the bloke we need to keep and develop, with our age profile like others have pointed out, if we are anything of a club we need him to come on as Brad, Trav, Rockliff decline. Not quite a GrandFather deal, but let’s say to him you’re what we are working around, here is a 4 year contract to show you we want to invest in you that is job security no 19 year old would hold at all, and let’s pay $300k-$400k a year to show we are serious. Which 3 gamer could hold a candle to that? If he still wants to leave us after a substantial offer is made, so be it, but again if our “Culture” is as we believe it to be we will keep him.

May just need to sit down with the coach’s and be told, he has a good future ahead of him, and there is a spot in the AFL side for him to take in the years to come and to look at someone like Clurey, who could have easily left after two years, didn’t and is now a regular in a side that is contesting a premiership.He simply needs to work for it. If he stays there will be a lot of good players around him for a long time.

If I was him, I’d be looking long term, sign a two year deal, if at the end of which he isn’t best 22 you move on to another club as an 22 year old ready made inside mid entering your prime.

My spidey senses say he is going. Our midfield is established. If atley cant get a game with rocky and spp out of the team, then he's really struggling. If he hangs out at port for another two years without getting game time then his afl career is pretty much stuffed. Ken doesnt rotate the team much so we are unlikely to find out if atley cuts the mustard this year. Without thinking about it much, Carlton and Essendon would probably be interested in a player like atley. I assume we are talking to essendon about aaron francis. Anyway, i dont know if atley is good or not.

Bullshit you can’t know that. 2nd year ffs and already has 3 games to his name
He’s got the physique to slot straight in like Wines & Pepper. He’s capable of holding his own in the guts & would have given us more than Amon,Barry,Johnson & Neade who are either small forwards & flankers. I sure s**t hope I’m wrong but my gut says gone.

When Rockliff and SPP we’re out of the team we didn’t bring Atley in. It’s not like he’s being held out on form. If he stays great, if not don’t sweat it, the system is designed for players to rotate between clubs if they can get a better playing deal elsewhere.

When Rockliff and SPP we’re out of the team we didn’t bring Atley in. It’s not like he’s being held out on form. If he stays great, if not don’t sweat it, the system is designed for players to rotate between clubs if they can get a better playing deal elsewhere.
Agreed & it’s a will he or won’t he. My guess is North along side his brother with the go home factor too. Opportunities being another reason.

I'm aware but you piss and moan about him leaving every 5 minutes who is he replacing regardless of injury?
What a stupid question. When there’s an injury with one of our mids or bad form he or Trengove can slot straight in. That’s why you have depth yeah ? na ?

Any good ? What position does he play ?

Don't know as I've never seen him play but, you'd think that, with his dimensions, either in the forward line or backline.

First came across his name 3 years ago.

FWIW the best people to ask about him are BF's draft experts.

It's hard for good footballers without some amazing weapon to make it in the afl. I suppose thats why Rocky didn't get drafted in the normal draft and Choco teased him. Rocky made it. Gotta play with everything.

There seems to be this increasing sense of urgency to get young guys into league footy as soon as possible in case they do a runner.

It used to be common for young players to churn out 50 to 100 reserves games before cracking league footy and going onto long and successful careers.

Sometimes all it takes is some patience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seems to be this increasing sense of urgency to get young guys into league footy as soon as possible in case they do a runner.

It used to be common for young players to churn out 50 to 100 reserves games before cracking league footy and going onto long and successful careers.

Patience by the player and the club

Between now and the time he leaves but not after.

Would like to see him get a run before the seasons end but I don't see North Melbourne falling over themselves to get him there?
What I suspect will happen is that he will be offered a contract by the seasons end that he will gratefully accept.

It’s also that the last few years we’ve had two man child’s in Wines and SPP playing from round 1. This is the exception in general and almost always for picks outside the first round.

In the past couple years weve had what we've thought is a lock solid 22.. nekminnit

SPP
Marshall
DBJ
Houston
Clurey
Howard

are all best 22.

If he's good enough they'll find room. Ken has shown he's not afraid to drop senior players.

I agree with this 100% but times are different. Players have the power these days + aggressive managers. He'd be getting a regular game at 3-4 other clubs right now.

But, I'm not concerned about him going. Has there even been any word that he's looking at leaving?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back