Player Watch Pick #33 (2016) - Willem Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Against popular opinion, I’m not a fan of his inclusion, his pace worries me big time, it makes our midfield as slow as when rocky plays. Like his ball hunting and skill but based on the games so far we need pace in the midfield.

Against popular opinion, I’m not a fan of his inclusion, his pace worries me big time, it makes our midfield as slow as when rocky plays. Like his ball hunting and skill but based on the games so far we need pace in the midfield.
Drew’s not slow. Not express, but certainly not slow. He’s not a line-breaker but we have plenty of those in the 22 (Amon, Duursma, Bonner, Farrell, Butters).

Drew’s not slow. Not express, but certainly not slow. He’s not a line-breaker but we have plenty of those in the 22 (Amon, Duursma, Bonner, Farrell, Butters).
I’d categorise him as slow, not snail like but definitely the slower side of slow Particularly if we get beaten in ruck

You’re only slow if you don’t have the ball. Drew is a Pig 🐽 and if oppo do gain possession he is our best Tackler, period. He is no slower than Boak or Rockliff, constantly finishing there and there abouts in running drills with each, not explosive any of them but in a 20 minute quarter you need that ability to run for 16 minutes.
You do seem to have a hard on for hating on Drew, have seen it in a few threads, everyone has their own opinions and views, but it would be worth solely watching Drew around the stoppages today and see the unrewarded work he does, stuff that can’t be taught. There is a reason that, at 21 and only 10 matches to his name he Was given one of the longest contracts handed out last year, even in the face of a potential career ending foot injury!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he played his role well. He’s not quite the same role as SPP and his place in the side is under threat from Rockliff or if we want a different style of player in the midfield, rather than form.

When one of the toughest and greatest mid fielders of the AFL era sings your praises, you know you have a future if you aren't cursed with injuries.

Voss on AA this arvo (from 5.50) " ..... when you watch him train thru preseason, he's had couple of preseasons, he's almost been untouchable because his ability to go from contest to contest, no one will talk about it a hell of a lot, because as you said its unheralded, but his work rate and ahm he's tough! like there's no guy, there's no one he will get out of the way of, umh, yeah he's a great tackler, he's very tough inside, knows how to get outside really quickly, so yeah he complements that group really well we think.

Centre bounce attendance this year
Rd 1 v NM 30 bounce downs - Lycett 23, Wines 21, Drew 20
Rd 2 v Ess 31 bounce downs - Drew 25, Boak 21, Wines 20, Lycett 18

The club are playing him as the defensive mid fielder.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back