News Riley Bonner departs for St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

The flack he's being given is far more deserving to our older players who have been as inconsistent, despite playing 100+ more games than him.
original-25942-1427414325-9.jpg

I reckon he will be sooking it up in the 2s for most of the year...

He is not best 22.

Why didn’t this thread get bumped after the 2021 Prelim?

Thought it was time we acknowledged his Amonesque turnaround since the 2021 Prelim that culminated with another excellent game Saturday.

Riley is now everything he was recruited to be: a line-breaking defender who can play tall or small, who is a reliable short or long kick and who bobs up for the odd outside 50 goal from time to time. His goal on Saturday was so important because we it capitalised on a mistake by their best player and sucked out all belief from a side that had executed some big comebacks in recent weeks. Riley is now what Pittard before him was meant to be but never was. His form has allowed us to play Houston on a wing which is a huge bonus.

It is time to officially strip him of his “whipping boy” status.

Why didn’t this thread get bumped after the 2021 Prelim?

Thought it was time we acknowledged his Amonesque turnaround since the 2021 Prelim that culminated with another excellent game Saturday.

Riley is now everything he was recruited to be: a line-breaking defender who can play tall or small, who is a reliable short or long kick and who bobs up for the odd outside 50 goal from time to time. His goal on Saturday was so important because we it capitalised on a mistake by their best player and sucked out all belief from a side that had executed some big comebacks in recent weeks. Riley is now what Pittard before him was meant to be but never was. His form has allowed us to play Houston on a wing which is a huge bonus.

It is time to officially strip him of his “whipping boy” status.
Why didn't you do it??

We talked a lot about him in the game review thread and his other one, that has his nickname - Timo I think.

Playing bloody good footy. Still not the greatest defensive player but has a weapon, and only defender and midfielder who seems to be able to not * up those 15-20m 45 degree kicks.

Why didn't you do it??

We talked a lot about him in the game review thread and his other one, that has his nickname - Timo I think.

Playing bloody good footy. Still not the greatest defensive player but has a weapon, and only defender and midfielder who seems to be able to not * up those 15-20m 45 degree kicks.
I was in therapy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Amon heading to the Blues next year, Bonner's importance to the side only increases.

He's been wonderful by foot, reliable overhead and making much better decisions under pressure

The thing is Bonner can just immediately go to the wing and replace Amon (he’s a better, longer kick. He might not be as tough in terms of breaking tackles but he’s probably more agile than Amon. His improvement makes me less worried about losing Amon, I think of all the quality players to lose- Amon would be the one that would hurt the least.

There was a time when if there was a one on one contest you'd be assured that Bonner would somehow shirk it. These days if there's a one on one contest I'm confident that Bonner will win it.

In 11 games he has equaled his career best total for contested marks (3 - took him 19 games to reach that in 2019), is generating 1.2 more rebound 50s per game and is averaging 50+ meters gained more than his average per game for the past few years.

Like Marshall, is only just starting to realise how good he can be.

I was a massive critic of this guy. Was soft, lets not beat about the bush here. But he is looking a lot more composed with the ball in hand, and unlike a few others, can hit a target. Keep it up.

I was a massive critic of this guy. Was soft, lets not beat about the bush here. But he is looking a lot more composed with the ball in hand, and unlike a few others, can hit a target. Keep it up.
Did really well against one of the best 1v1 players in the game on the weekend in Heeney. When he went to him he was a lot less dangerous forward. Very impressive!

I always know when one of our usual whipping boys are going to turn it on in a game.

During the first quarter of the west coast game, the 'know it all', who sits behind me, let me know that Marshall should be added to the never again list. Less than a quarter later he was full of praise, and by the end of the game he wanted to add 3 years to his contract. Todd hasn't look backed since.

Similarly, on the weekend, he said to me 'see that guy, he won't be on our list next year. I've kept a eye on him. He's too soft. Doesn't do enough. He's got to go'. Two quarters later he was backtracking once again, and explaining how good Bonner is when he sticks to his strengths. Here's hoping he keeps it up.

I can't wait to hear more of his wisdom on Sunday...

I always know when one of our usual whipping boys are going to turn it on in a game.

During the first quarter of the west coast game, the 'know it all', who sits behind me, let me know that Marshall should be added to the never again list. Less than a quarter later he was full of praise, and by the end of the game he wanted to add 3 years to his contract. Todd hasn't look backed since.

Similarly, on the weekend, he said to me 'see that guy, he won't be on our list next year. I've kept a eye on him. He's too soft. Doesn't do enough. He's got to go'. Two quarters later he was backtracking once again, and explaining how good Bonner is when he sticks to his strengths. Here's hoping he keeps it up.

I can't wait to hear more of his wisdom on Sunday...
I'll ask the important question.....

What does he think about hinkley?

I'm just glad that the guy near us who yells "You dog Bonner, get a real kick Bonner, you f-ing dog" on repeat every game has been much quieter this year.
Geez we have some bad supporters. We've got someone in front of us who regularly bags Marshall - he's been quiet of late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back