Agility
1. Matthew Payne (Western Jets/Spotswood) – 7.713 seconds
2. Hugo Nosiara (Dandenong Stingrays/Mt Eliza) – 8.098
3. Harvey Gallagher (Bendigo Pioneers/Sandhurst) – 8.117

2km Time Trial
1. Osca Riccardi (Geelong Falcons/Newton & Chilwell) – 6:17 minutes
2. Charlie Barnett (Bendigo Pioneers/Kyabram) – 6:22
3. Harvey Gallagher (Bendigo Pioneers/Sandhurst) – 6:27

Don’t think we should put much weight in to those results considering none of the other players listed were drafted.

Are they just Vic results?

Standing Vertical Jump
1. Rye Penny (Calder Cannons/Gisborne) – 89cm
2. Harvey Gallagher (Bendigo Pioneers/Sandhurst) – 80
=3. Joe Richards (Wangaratta Magpies) – 72
=3. Beau Tedcastle (GWV Rebels/St Mary’s) – 72

Running Vertical Jump
1. Rye Penny (Calder Cannons/Gisborne) – 104cm
2. Harvey Gallagher (Bendigo Pioneers/Sandhurst) – 89
=3. Paul Pascu (Calder Cannons/Oak Park) – 87
=3. Joe Richards (Wangaratta Magpies) – 87
=3. Beau Tedcastle (GWV Rebels/St Mary's) – 87

Agility
1. Matthew Payne (Western Jets/Spotswood) – 7.713 seconds
2. Hugo Nosiara (Dandenong Stingrays/Mt Eliza) – 8.098
3. Harvey Gallagher (Bendigo Pioneers/Sandhurst) – 8.117

2km Time Trial
1. Osca Riccardi (Geelong Falcons/Newton & Chilwell) – 6:17 minutes
2. Charlie Barnett (Bendigo Pioneers/Kyabram) – 6:22
3. Harvey Gallagher (Bendigo Pioneers/Sandhurst) – 6:27

At the national combine with all the top prospects he would have placed 2nd in standing vertical, 5th in running vertical, 2nd in agility and just outside top 10 in 2km.

Pretty impressive athletic profile given the really high volume numbers he backed it up with over the second half of the season, which got him into Vic Country’s GF side. He’s a footballer first, but a great athlete for a small.

View attachment 1564136

You knew this was coming
Confused Younger Tv GIF by TV Land

It's only a small window of opportunity for a youngster. Very few get drafted in their 20s these days. It's so rare that when someone like Joe Richards gets picked (age 23, #48 for the Magpies) it becomes a news story in itself. He and Corey Wagner (age 25, #57 for Fremantle) are the only ones in the top 60 who were born last century.
Most draftees this year weren't born when Essendon won their last final

At first he was the typical “who?” selection, but reading up on him and he’s really put in the effort and earned his chance. One that could go either way, but could thrive in an AFL system if he’s got the same work ethic.

Not a bad thing at all he’s seen as an outside player either

That was the most wholesome reaction video I have been from any of our players over the years. Pure emotion, and tears. Given he had been overlooked from two different drafts, and had bounced around between a few different teams this season just gone. It was his late season form at his local club that caught the attention of recruiters. He worked very hard to persist with giving himself an opportunity where many would understandably go into a shell. Probably felt like this would be his last chance as well.

Even though he was a "who?" pick at the time. I have really warmed up to this pick a lot since I have watched some of his videos and read about his journey. At least we know we have a player who will give it his all.

That was the most wholesome reaction video I have been from any of our players over the years. Pure emotion, and tears. Given he had been overlooked from two different drafts, and had bounced around between a few different teams this season just gone. It was his late season form at his local club that caught the attention of recruiters. He worked very hard to persist with giving himself an opportunity where many would understandably go into a shell. Probably felt like this would be his last chance as well.

Even though he was a "who?" pick at the time. I have really warmed up to this pick a lot since I have watched some of his videos and read about his journey. At least we know we have a player who will give it his all.
Yeah that was real raw, love it!

On the pick - whilst he may not really have a set position I think it’s just beneficial to get skilled players into the club, we rotate the squad a lot as we know and there’s always spots open forward, wing, hb etc that we have a number of those small utility types but we tend to put scrappers in those roles which I just don’t like.

The core of our team is great as we know, we have genuine ball winners everywhere. We don’t need gun ball winners on the flanks too etc I know a team cannot be perfect - you need role players in a salary cap competition. But I’d rather fill those spots with guys who can kick to put it simply. I don’t care if they only get 10 touches a game we don’t need more accumulators, but every one of their touches has to be damaging or at least not a burden on the rest of the team.

I understand we want pressure out of those spots too and that’s why guys like VDM and McComb are Locks but they hurt our ball movement so badly, we play such a pin point game style where we share the ball around a lot and there’s quick link up chains all over the ground - having blokes who are just not at the level required to be apart of those chains constantly breaking down our movement kills us.

So long story short, adding guys that have a bit of pace, a good attitude when it comes to tackling and pressuring and most importantly are clean with the footy, fill those role player gaps instead will seriously transform this side. So I don’t mind if there’s not a set position in mind for him, spots will open up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love these reaction videos. But F me those massive volume spikes when people suddenly scream blow my ear drums out each time haha. Have to remind myself to always watch them at a lower volume at first.

Don’t think we should put much weight in to those results considering none of the other players listed were drafted.

Are they just Vic results?
It's not so much about where he placed or who else competed, it's about the raw numbers. If he has a standing jump of 80cm and can run 2kms in 6.17, he's got some healthy athletic tools.

It's not so much about where he placed or who else competed, it's about the raw numbers. If he has a standing jump of 80cm and can run 2kms in 6.17, he's got some healthy athletic tools.

That’s true, Bob.

Personally I don’t think recruiters take too
much from the combine results that they don’t see from live footage. Maybe the 2km and some of the agility tests show something that certain players haven’t whilst on the field. Ruck results for vertical jump maybe another.

Might even show that application isn’t there on game day if surprising results show up at the combine? Maybe that sways some of the decision making.

I think Harvey’s attributes would’ve been well known before his combine performance.

Based on career progression it appears as though he is replicating the career of Isaac Smith. I'd be disappointed if he doesn't win twice as many flags as Isaac, though.

Based on career progression it appears as though he is replicating the career of Isaac Smith. I'd be disappointed if he doesn't win twice as many flags as Isaac, though.
Eight flags no pressure on the 39th pick in the Draft!!

Interesting Milesi said that we would be looking at him as a running defender.
Does anyone have any insight into his actual defending skills? We've all mentioned at times that we don't have any actual small defenders on the list other than Duryea and have moved other players into the rebounding roles. He's an athletic type but it would be good if he could actually defend first and foremost as a possible Duryea replacement.

These are a couple of comments from Phantom drafts:

From rookie me central:

Harvey Gallagher

BENDIGO PIONEERS
| SMALL UTILITY
Height:179cm

Weight:77kg

D.O.B:26-09-2003

ACE IN THE PACK

The sole 2003-born player to feature in our top 40 list, Gallagher has emerged as somewhat of an ace in the pack. Having cut his teeth as a crafty midfielder-forward, the Bendigo Pioneers leader found his niche with a shift to defence, where his enormous running capacity and classy ball use by foot came to the fore. His numbers towards the back-end of the NAB League season were utterly insane, as the over-ager eventually blew the representative door down to cap his year with Vic Country honours. He seems to have matured massively this season, and helped turned his region’s fortunes around in the final few games.

SEPTEMBER RANKING: Unranked

LAST MONTH:

Gallagher lead Bendigo to a dramatic Wildcard Round upset of Oakleigh, racking up 42 disposals and 13 rebound 50s to set up his final NAB League appearance in a rare final for the Pioneers. On that day, he made his impact felt with 28 touches, eight rebound 50s and 1.5, playing on each line as his side went down to Tasmania. Gallagher carried his form onto the representative stage, racking up a team-high 23 disposals and seven marks in that newfound role off half-back, again as his Vic Country team suffered defeat. He looks a real second round chance on the back of pure production.

ESPN:

Harvey Gallagher - Bendigo Pioneers (VIC)
A versatile overager who plays his best football across half-back, Gallagher displays a burst of speed, good agility, and evasion, regularly takes on the game with his run and generates meaningful drive by foot. An impressive intercept mark for a small, Gallagher reads the play early to get into position for intercept marks.

Zero hangar

AFL News
AFL Draft Profile: Harvey Gallagher
Get to know one of the over-age prospects firming for a spot in the draft.
Mitch Keating
AFL Draft Profile: Harvey Gallagher

Bendigo Pioneers utility Harvey Gallagher is among the very few over-age prospects who could land a spot on an AFL list through the National Draft next week.

The 19-year-old was overlooked at last year's draft and again for the 2022 Mid-Season rookie intake, however Gallagher has reached new levels of stardom since missing out on a top-flight chance.

A positional switch to defence, having mostly plied his trade as an attacking midfielder, saw Gallagher flourish in the NAB League for the Pioneers as a rebounding half-back threat.

His final five games of the season would amass an average of 35 disposals per game, while the Sandhurst native also managed to continue to have an impact in the forward third of the ground.

The hot run of form saw Gallagher earn a spot in Vic Country's final game of the season, where he gained further attention of AFL scouts.

The outside run and carry he offers could also offer clubs an immediate injection to their defence, while Gallagher remains a more-than-formidable option for midfield and forward roles.

While Gallagher's chances of finding a home at the AFL level have certainly strengthened, it's unlikely he'll fall in the opening 30 or so selections, with his range perhaps at the back end of the second round and later.

That's not to say you can rule Gallagher's name out of the first round, but it'd be a tremendous story no matter where he lands.

His versatility and career-best form in defence gives Gallagher some likeness to Fremantle's Jordan Clark, while the likes of versatile SA pair Jordan Dawson and Ryan Burton may also have traits that Gallagher also possesses.

Position: Utility
State: Victoria Country
State League Club: Bendigo Pioneers
Community Club: Sandhurst
Date of Birth: 26/09/03
Height: 179cm
Weight: 77kg

Strengths
Versatility
Bal-Winning Ability
Run and Dash

Weaknesses
Goal Shooting

Draft Range
Late Second Round or Later

Potential Landing Spots
Port Adelaide (Pick 33), North Melbourne (Pick 40), Hawthorn (Pick 41), Gold Coast (Pick 45)

AFL Comparisons
Jordan Clark
Ryan Burton
Jordan Dawson

Expert Comments
"The numbers he put up were sort of (Nick) Daicos-like. Obviously playing a different position but he's kicking multiple goals from half-back, covering so much ground, his foot skills are great. So I think he's going to be a really good pickup and one who has a few different strings to his bow. He can still be a goalkicking midfielder as well or small forward." - Michael Alvaro

1 WEEK AGO

About Contact Advertising Write for Us Privacy Policy Editorial Standards
© 2022 Zero Digital Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back