Last edited by a moderator:

GordonBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I am a "watch highlights on youtube pre draft" kind of guy. So whilst the knowledge is absolutely limited to that, I tend to think my opinions on players via these videos tends to transpire pretty well.

Given this is the first year where Carlton did not have a high pick and we never ever have top F/S or Acadamy players and being a comprimised draft, I gave little thought of it and did not watch any highlights videos.

However seeing the highlights of Carroll, this must have been a super draft. His highlights package rivals many early draft picks in year gone by. So why the slide? What's the knock?

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I am a "watch highlights on youtube pre draft" kind of guy. So whilst the knowledge is absolutely limited to that, I tend to think my opinions on players via these videos tends to transpire pretty well.

Given this is the first year where Carlton did not have a high pick and we never ever have top F/S or Acadamy players and being a comprimised draft, I gave little thought of it and did not watch any highlights videos.

However seeing the highlights of Carroll, this must have been a super draft. His highlights package rivals many early draft picks in year gone by. So why the slide? What's the knock?

Honestly, i don't think there is a knock.

Usually, about 2 weeks out from a draft, word/hints/inferences start getting out about a few players that they're gonna drop down the draft. I tend to think this coincides with final interviews, medicals, family visits and things of the like. There were a few of those this year like other years.

But with Carroll he was pushing incrementally higher in opinions and whispers the closer we got to the draft. But in every draft there are also 1 or 2 genuine sliders who might just have 1 player ahead of them on multiple teams boards as each pick goes by. I honestly think this was Carroll.

He could have been Top 20 on 15 Club boards, but from 20 onwards each club could have had one of their players in the teens still there , or someone they needed listwise. And hence he just slipped 20 or so positions lower than if 1 sequence above went differently.

tldr...No knock, it was just our turn to get lucky.

ParapMarkets

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Honestly, i don't think there is a knock.

Usually, about 2 weeks out from a draft, word/hints/inferences start getting out about a few players that they're gonna drop down the draft. I tend to think this coincides with final interviews, medicals, family visits and things of the like. There were a few of those this year like other years.

But with Carroll he was pushing incrementally higher in opinions and whispers the closer we got to the draft. But in every draft there are also 1 or 2 genuine sliders who might just have 1 player ahead of them on multiple teams boards as each pick goes by. I honestly think this was Carroll.

He could have been Top 20 on 15 Club boards, but from 20 onwards each club could have had one of their players in the teens still there , or someone they needed listwise. And hence he just slipped 20 or so positions lower than if 1 sequence above went differently.

tldr...No knock, it was just our turn to get lucky.
I also think that quite a few clubs make a number of needs based picks and especially this year with reducing list sizes they would only focus on so many midfielders.

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
He looks a likely type. From memory Mitch Robinson was a similar slide and steal in his draft year, panned out OK did Robbo. Look forward to seeing him play.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I really wanted Carrol at Richmond even with our first pick and when we traded it i thought ohh well , But then he was still there at our 2nd and we still didnt take him and selected an unknown Ruckman (our 5th Ruck) - Disappointing but good luck to the blues and hope he develops into a great player.

But there is 1 thing thats been playing on my mind that made me kind of ok with not selecting him and i dont mean to be coming across as salty but made me think. Fremantle would have had the best access to jack and would have had everybody that has had anything to do with him on speed dial and walker and Carroll were really close at east fremantle i believe and they didnt select him . I think they had 3 chances and also could have traded down if they really wanted him. This makes me think Why ??

So in saying this i think maybe be a little more patient & little more conservative with expectations. But still a bargain at 41

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
From the looks of it, we took a bit of a risk in calling out Durdin at 37 to pip Adelaide (who would have taken the local boy) and then had a few picks to wait hoping no-one else took him.

When Pick 41 came up, we called his name out in literally 2 seconds. The guys in the box couldn't have blurted it out quicker.

They looked very happy with this pick. Like the cat with the cream.

GordonBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Durdin was obviously a selection of absolute need. To the club, he was the best small forward left. He could be the kind of player that could impact immediately and so helping climb up the ladder.

I think if you are simply comparing a player v another, then Carroll would be seen as the better player, but as we are more desperate for a small forward, we went with necessity. I think there could have been a number of players on the board that we would have still selected Durdin over based on our needs.

The club would be relieved to pick up Durdin and thrilled to be able to pick up Carroll.

The fact that the club took a combined 10 seconds to select both players tells you everything you need to know.

TwiggleyFanClub

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
From the looks of it, we took a bit of a risk in calling out Durdin at 37 to pip Adelaide (who would have taken the local boy) and then had a few picks to wait hoping no-one else took him.

When Pick 41 came up, we called his name out in literally 2 seconds. The guys in the box couldn't have blurted it out quicker.

They looked very happy with this pick. Like the cat with the cream.

Presumably the coverage still blabbed on for the full 5 minutes though?

Stefchook

Team Captain
Dec 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
The fact that the club took a combined 10 seconds to select both players tells you everything you need to know.

Also, that Austin isn't a media campaigner, who thinks any airtime is good airtime. Unlike Dodoro who knew who he was going to pick for his 3 consecutive picks, but still insisted on using the full 15 minutes! :huh:

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Also, that Austin isn't a media campaigner, who thinks any airtime is good airtime. Unlike Dodoro who knew who he was going to pick for his 3 consecutive picks, but still insisted on using the full 15 minutes! :huh:

To be fair to Dodo :poo:, the AFL makes it go for 5 minutes, no matter what time the club puts their pick in. They could put their pick in in the first 10 seconds, and the AFL wait the full 5 to announce.

God, he's loathsome.....

Michael Jezz

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2007
collingwood
AFL Club
Carlton
I really wanted Carrol at Richmond even with our first pick and when we traded it i thought ohh well , But then he was still there at our 2nd and we still didnt take him and selected an unknown Ruckman (our 5th Ruck) - Disappointing but good luck to the blues and hope he develops into a great player.

But there is 1 thing thats been playing on my mind that made me kind of ok with not selecting him and i dont mean to be coming across as salty but made me think. Fremantle would have had the best access to jack and would have had everybody that has had anything to do with him on speed dial and walker and Carroll were really close at east fremantle i believe and they didnt select him . I think they had 3 chances and also could have traded down if they really wanted him. This makes me think Why ??

So in saying this i think maybe be a little more patient & little more conservative with expectations. But still a bargain at 41
Carlton had the same opportunity with Kane Lambert

Back