Delisted #19: Kobe Mutch - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In response to some of the comments about Mutch being, what amounts to, "vanilla".

There are plenty of great players in the AFL who just know the game and possess no real stand-out physical attribute. Some of these guys were drafted early in drafts and some were taken as mature aged rookies (and everything in between). It's something I'd only be concerned about with the really early picks when you've got the opportunity to take the best player in a draft (it being almost a given that the best are a combination of unique physical attributes and excellent footballers).

I think that, whether or not it ought to ever be a concern, is, like most things, a question of balance. In a draft in which midfielders are a priority, the ball magnet (who, mind you, kicks well off both feet) has his place in the conversation by default. The ability to find the ball at will is the attribute which translates to AFL.

In this case, considering that two of the midfield options taken before him were explosive, powerful athletes I would not have thought that there would be any reservation about taking Mutch regardless of whether he is one paced (if that is what posters are concerned about). That we have added a number of genuinely quick and powerful athletes to the list in the last 3 drafts only emphasises the point.

Will watch Mutch with interest in the VFL next year.

Last edited:
Good pick up for the club. Apart from McGrath I can see Mutch playing the most games of all our draftees in 2017.

I dunno about you - but personally I'd be surprised if any of the kids even got a senior game next year except McGrath who is obviously an exceptional talent. Not only do we have the returning players but we have many kids that have some AFL experience that are aiming to build on that including Langford, Laverde, Long, Francis, McKenna, Redman and there's probably more I'm forgetting. Then there's a whole bunch that are already established in the team (included Parish in that lot too).

The new kids are going to have to absolutely tear it up to get in I reckon.

I dunno about you - but personally I'd be surprised if any of the kids even got a senior game next year except McGrath who is obviously an exceptional talent. Not only do we have the returning players but we have many kids that have some AFL experience that are aiming to build on that including Langford, Laverde, Long, Francis, McKenna, Redman and there's probably more I'm forgetting. Then there's a whole bunch that are already established in the team (included Parish in that lot too).

The new kids are going to have to absolutely tear it up to get in I reckon.
Yeah I agree completely. Unless there's a raft of injuries we really shouldn't be surprised if we see none of these kids outside of McGrath.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back