Pick 43- Draft 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowbots are dead

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I thought it would be good to have a thread on our second pick. I'm really keen to know from the experts on bf who you think might be available around this pick and the type of player we might target. I would be thinking that we will go a midfielder given our lack of depth but have no idea of whose likely to be around. Over to the experts...

I thought it would be good to have a thread on our second pick. I'm really keen to know from the experts on bf who you think might be available around this pick and the type of player we might target. I would be thinking that we will go a midfielder given our lack of depth but have no idea of whose likely to be around. Over to the experts...
The best of the "sliders" obviously...

Lipinski I think

Pick 43 will be a genuine inside mid IMO

Guys like Lipinski , Poholke and Begley in mix

Drew if he slides or Sharenberg if we rate him ( not sure we do )

Dylan Clarke at 43 would also be a bargain despite his faults he has plenty of strengths

All these guys in mix for our pick 53 as well given its not long after

ah the irony!
Good chance he's available around when we pick with our later picks too. Sounds like he may have the same weaknesses as his brother though.

47. Corey LYONS
Ht: 180.5cm | Wt: 77.1kg | Hybrid Midfielder | Sandringham Dragons

Lyons lacks that bit of class and speed that some of the top prospects possess, but he is one of the hard workers in this draft pool and makes up for any deficiencies with his nous. He pops up very well in holes, especially through the corridor with little hook runs, spreads well from the contest and he has kicked big goals when required. His kicking needs improvement – too often his passes fall at the feet of their intended target, but like his brother Jarryd (now at Gold Coast), he finds a way to impact games through midfield.

Strengths: smarts, work ethic, leadership.

Needs to improve: kicking, speed.

Injuries: None.

Combine test results: Repeat Sprint – 26.52. 20m Sprint – 3.07. Agility – 8.79. Beep Test – 13.4. 3km TT – N/A.

Draft range: 40-60.

What they say: “A true footballer in every sense of the word. He really understands the game and can break it down and talk about the tactics and the structure of it. He’s not quick but if you are footy smart like he is, you get there a bit quicker.” – Sandringham Dragons talent manager Ryan O’Connor.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes that's not so bad. We'd obviously love to find another gun, but if the worst you get is a guy who can fill in when a guy is injured then it's probably not a complete loss.
Better will be available in this particular draft at 43 IMO.

Gary Buckenara's 26 -50 Rankings for the 2016 National Draft..Benny gets a guernsey at 50.
I've copied and pasted them below because it's a Subscriber Only article.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...k=10128f8baaf0a457d102a30772a141f9-1479720960

THIS year’s draft is a deep one in terms of talent but it’s very even talent and anything could happen on the night.

It is full of midfielders and forwards and there are also some good rebound defender types but key position players are going to be a bit hard to come by in this year’s crop.

WHICH PLAYERS DOES BUCKY RATE? SEE HIS LIST FROM 50-26 AND ANALYSIS BELOW. STAY TUNED FOR 25-1 ON WEDNESDAY

There aren’t a lot of ruckmen in the field either — there are a couple of developing types and a few who have played at state-league level but there isn’t a lot. So those clubs searching for either a developing or back-up ruckman might find it a little bit difficult.

It wouldn’t surprise me if my rankings are off in areas, even by about 20, that’s what I mean by how even this year’s draft is. It’s just one of those years where beauty might be in the eye of the beholder.

b2e8852f7f18a9f64d46ed52e7e8ba95

Josh Daicos is available to Collingwood as a father-son selection. Picture: Steve Tanner
If you approached clubs and asked the recruiters to write down their top 50 players, I suspect they will all be in different orders, particularly after pick No.20 and even potentially after pick No.15.

They might rate a player really highly but another club has him rated between pick Nos.40-50. It’s going to be really interesting.

THE CASE FOR: PICKING THE AFL DRAFT TOP 20

BIG MEN: SHOULD AFL CLUBS DRAFT RUCKMEN

TOUGH CHOICE: DRAFT MYSTERY UNDERLINES CLASS DEPTH

Potentially this is a draft where all 18 clubs, except Hawthorn who don’t pick until No.81 (as per the league’s final draft order), will go for best available at their first selection and even their second rather than possibly taking a player based on needs.

I have compiled a list of the players I rate as the best 50 in this year’s draft, in order. Below is the list from 26-50 — stayed tuned for 1-25 on Wednesday.

c637eb445efdb90e9c8436cbda2a66dc

Adelaide and Hawthorn have passed on Ben Jarman as a father-son nomination. Picture: Mark Stewart
DRAFT TOP 50 PART ONE: 26-50

50. BEN JARMAN

Small midfielder/forward, 175cm, 68kg, North Adelaide/Koonibba

Buckenara says: Both Adelaide and Hawthorn have opted not to nominate Jarman as a father-son so he’s available in the open draft and I think this is about where he sits. He’s a clever player who can make things happen. I wouldn’t say he’s in his dad’s mould, he’s got a lot of development to get to that level but he’s a footballer that knows what’s going on — he’s smart, makes good decisions but is a little bit inconsistent at the moment as he drifts in-and-out of games. In a full-time environment he should thrive.

49. ESAVA RATUGOLEA

Tall forward/ruckman, 194cm, 95kg, Murray Bushrangers

Buckenara says: The big smoky in the draft, a club may take a punt on him early. He’s a Fijian with great power and athleticism and has only been playing footy for a little while but his improvement this year was dramatic. He only played a couple of games in 2015 but this year did all the pre-season and early in the year kicked a bag of four and a bag of eight at TAC Cup level. There is a lot to like about him, he’s very athletic and there’ll be some interest in him it just remains to be seen whether it’s early, late or as a rookie.

48. BEN CAVARRA

Small forward/midfielder, 175cm, 72kg, Frankston VFL

Buckenara says: A former Eastern Ranges player, Cavarra has been at Frankston for a couple of years and I thought he was a bit unlucky in his draft year not to get an opportunity, at least as a rookie. He’s a clever little player who’s lightly framed and can fill a small forward role but is probably more suited to being a forward/midfielder where he can go into the middle and win his own footy. He’s also good on the outside and kicks the ball with some penetration. There’s a lot to like about Ben but he can be a little bit left-sided. Won Frankston’s best-and-fairest last year.

47. DARCY CAMERON

Ruckman, 204cm, 101kg, Claremont

Buckenara says: Cameron has been the No.1 ruckman for Claremont in the WAFL for a couple of years after coming through the under-18s system. He’s a big boy, has good skills and his ruck work has really improved. I think for a club looking for a back-up ruckman, which a lot are, he’d be a good fit.

ca8e30717d62ad753b89a2eb680983f4

Gary Buckenara believes VFL star Ben Cavarra should be given an opportunity. Picture: Valeriu Campan
46. ROWAN MARSHALL

Ruckman, 201cm, 97kg, North Ballarat VFL

Buckenara says: Marshall will turn 21 the day before the draft and would arrive as a ready-made back-up ruckman because he has the body already. He’s flexible in that he can play up forward and at centre half-back as well because he’s quite athletic for his size. He had a breakout year this year in the VFL and can take a mark and kick a goal because he has nice kicking skills for a big man but needs to improve his agility. I think he deserves an opportunity.

45. HARRY MORRISON

Defender, 182cm, 73kg, Murray Bushrangers/Benalla

Buckenara says: A bit of a smoky, Morrison can play as an inside midfielder who has some football talent but he’s a bit slow across the ground. He’ll either get drafted or rookie-listed. Has recovered from an ACL injury last year and back issues this year.

44. JOSH BATTLE

Tall forward, 192cm, 90kg, Dandenong Stingrays/Doveton/Haileybury

Buckenara says: Battle has a strong body already for a tall forward, he wins the footy against his own age group but the question will be whether he’s got the athletic tricks for the next level. His marking overhead and on the lead plus his work ethic are his biggest strengths and he certainly has performed well at TAC Cup level and been a good player for Dandenong. A club will have a look at him because of his size but he needs to continue to work on his fitness. He also needs to work on his agility below his knees because at times he looks like he doesn’t bend down and grab the footy and can look a bit slow as he has a wide turning arc.

43. SAM McLARTY

Defender, 193cm, 93kg, Oakleigh Chargers/Beverly Hills JFC/ Yarra Valley GS

Buckenara says: McLarty had a bit of an interrupted season this year and missed a fair bit of footy. He can play as a tall defender or tall forward and already has a big body but I think the jury is out. Because there aren’t too many talls in this draft a club might have a look at him. His marking and agility are strengths.

8ea4e09cc95080928d4c7f2840cfc6ad

Jonty Scharenberg is the brother of Collingwood’s Matt Scharenberg. Picture: Sarah Reed
42. JONTY SCHARENBERG

Midfielder, 186cm, 80kg, Glenelg/PHOS Camden

Buckenara says: The brother of Magpie Matt Scharenberg, Jonty is a nice size for an inside midfielder, is good mover and one-on-one player. There are some question marks on his pace and agility but comes from a good pedigree and has reasonable footy skills it’s just a matter of whether he’s going to have that improvement in him that will make him a good AFL player.

41. JAKE WATERMAN

Tall forward, 191cm, 82kg, Claremont/Aquinas College

Buckenara says: Nominated as a father-son by West Coast, Waterman is a tall forward who’s had a really good year. He’s got a pretty solid body, is athletic and has some genuine talent. I think a club will bid on him around this part of the draft and see if West Coast is keen.

40. DYLAN CLARKE

Midfielder, 187cm, 85kg, Eastern Ranges/Knox/Melbourne GS

Buckenara says: For his size Clarke is very competitive and actually plays a bit taller than his height suggests and really throws his body around. He’s a smart kid and has the athleticism and traits clubs like as an inside midfielder who wins his own footy and plays with desperation. It wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up being a tagging-type player because he’s so disciplined. He needs to, however, address his kicking. Brother of Kangaroo Ryan Clarke.

39. JOE ATLEY

Midfielder, 186cm, 84kg, Bendigo Pioneers/Rochester

Buckenara says: Brother of North Melbourne’s Shaun Atley, Joe is a midfielder who’s already a nice size at 186cm and 84kg. He’s a really hard-at-it contested ball winner, he’s unselfish and a real team player but sometimes he can make zany decisions on the field because he rushes a bit, which comes from the fact he’s so fanatical. I’d like to see him improve his kicking — his kick is a bit slow, it doesn’t get to its target quickly, which leaves it open to being cut off by the opposition and also lacks penetration. Aside from that he’s a nice player.

5dbd0348c0d69ad66b54d8808282da88

Joe Atley is a team-first midfielder. Picture: Mark Dadswell
38. HARRISON MACREADIE

Defender, 196cm, 89kg, Henty/GWS Academy

Buckenara says: A tall key defender, Macreadie is available to the Giants as an academy selection. He’s a good size, reads the play well and is versatile so he has some talent and I think he’ll develop well in a full-time environment. The query on him is his pace and at times lacks a bit of urgency out on the field but often that can be an issue with the NSW and Queensland academy players because they’re usually much better than the guys they’re playing against. Given there aren’t many key position types in this draft crop, he’ll be of interest to GWS and potentially other clubs as well.

37. PATRICK KERR

Tall forward, 194cm, 93kg, Oakleigh Chargers/Glen Iris/St Kevin’s

Buckenara says: Kerr has a strong body and plays as a tall forward who could also be groomed as a defender. He’s a nice player, I don’t think he’ll end up being a star but I think he’s got the ability to develop into a consistent AFL player. Is a good mark and accurate shot for goal.

36. CAM POLSON

Small forward, 177cm, 76kg, Sandringham Dragons/Haileybury Grammar

Buckenara says: Polson is a pretty clever player who has some traits that will be of interest to clubs but needs to be a bit more consistent in his efforts. Is another one of those lightly-built small forwards.

35. WILLEM DREW

Midfielder, 188cm, 78kg, North Ballarat Rebels/Koroit

Buckenara says: A nice, smooth-mover and a player who makes good decisions, Drew uses the ball well. He has no trouble finding the footy, has good endurance and is very competitive. I think he’ll definitely be drafted.

4253754399b907ad30b78ce99654531c

Willem Drew in action for Vic Country this year. Picture: Mark Dadswell
34. JOSH DAICOS

Small midfielder/forward, 178cm, 69kg, Oakleigh Chargers/Bulleen Templestowe/Camberwell Grammar

Buckenara says: A father-son for Collingwood, I’d say Daicos will cost them more in terms of draft points than Callum Brown. He possesses a lot of traits similar to his father, Peter. He’s a bit inconsistent at the moment and his form dropped off towards the end of the year but he showed early he does have some tricks and traits clubs are looking for. He can kick a goal, is smart, has clean hands and has good skills. He’s a small forward who’ll take time to develop and I think the Pies will be patient and take their time with him. He will need to get into the gym and build his strength.

33. MYLES POHOLKE

Midfielder, 184cm, 84kg, Dandenong Stingrays/Sorrento

Buckenara says: Another mid-sized strong bodied midfielder, I think he’ll be in the mix but it wouldn’t surprise me if he went at pick No.30 or pick No.60. Can play both inside and outside.

32. CEDRIC COX

Half-back, 184cm, 70kg, North Ballarat Rebels, Camperdown/Halls Creek

Buckenara says: Cox played senior footy down at Camperdown and came down to the Rebels program during the year and also played a couple of games with the North Ballarat Roosters in the VFL. He’s a quiet young man but a very determined young guy who is a beautiful kick on both sides of his body. He does have a lot to learn still in terms of footy but he can stop on a dime, he can do things not many others can and I think he’ll excite and be a player who will definitely be drafted.

46e26877587ac6843b3355a1ee57dcba

Cedric Cox tests at the draft combine. Picture: Mark Dadswell
31. WILL HAYWARD

Forward, 186cm, 76kg, North Adelaide/Walkerville

Buckenara says: A South Australian, Hayward has uncanny skills but isn’t the greatest kick. He’s a player who has got that athleticism clubs like — he’s a 2.94 second 20m sprinter and his vertical leap is very good, ranking third at the combine. His kicking and his physical strength isn’t where it needs to be but he does have some traits. I’d like to see him concentrate on his ball use a bit more because he can do some clever things.

30. LUKE RYAN

Midfielder, 185cm, 87kg, Coburg VFL

Buckenara says: The 20-year-old impressed with Coburg in the VFL this year as a big-bodied rebound defender/midfielder who uses the ball well. Ryan has good athleticism, is aware of what’s going on around him and has good instincts — he knows what to do when he’s out on the footy field.

29. TODD MARSHALL

Tall forward, 198cm, 87kg, Murray Bushrangers/Deniliquin

Buckenara says: Marshall is one of these kids who is a natural talent at most sports and played cricket in England last year before returning to focus on his footy. He’s a potential key forward but is still pretty raw in understanding his talent and the work ethic required to make it in the AFL but I think there’s enough there, because there is such a lack of good key tall talent this year, that someone will take him reasonably early. He’s agile, can take a big mark and his goal sense is pretty good.

72c3f715163e72080e9859d6014ab0fe

Todd Marshall is a talented all-round sportsman. Picture: Mark Dadswell
28. SAM POWELL-PEPPER

Midfielder, 186cm, 83kg, East Perth/Wesley College

Buckenara says: Powell-Pepper is a very powerful player with a great burst of speed and already has a strongly built body at 83kg. He’s a midfielder who can also play across half forward. He’ll need to work a bit more on his endurance and his kick because he doesn’t steady enough when he’s got the ball. In terms of having a big body and powerful turn of speed off the mark, he’s got some traits. I’m sure there will be a lot of interest in him.

27. JACOB ALLISON

Midfielder, 194cm, 79kg, Aspley/Brisbane Lions Academy

Buckenara says: A member of Brisbane’s academy, at 194cm Allison is a tall midfielder with the height of a potential key position player — a forward — who is very lightly built so will need a lot of work in the gym to build up his body. There’s a lot of upside in him and I think there is some real potential there and a club might place a bid on him to keep the Lions honest.

26. ALEX WITHERDEN

Half-back, 184cm, 78kg, Geelong Falcons/St Josephs

Buckenara says: A mid-sized player, Witherden is a rebound defender who makes good decisions and is composed both when he’s around the footy and when he’s got it. He just doesn’t panic under pressure and as a rebound defender Witherden has all the traits you look for — composure, good decision-maker, good kicking skills, clean hands and pace. Broke his leg this year and missed a lot of footy and whether there are any concerns over that remains to be seen.

242aa10902d2690f8466563da8a0619a

Gary Buckenara likes what he sees in Geelong Falcon Alex Witherden. Picture: Nigel Hallett
BUCKY’S SMOKYS

Lloyd Meek

Tall forward/ruckman, 201cm, 102kg, North Ballarat/North Ballarat Rebels

Buckenara says: A very big lad who runs well and with a lack of talls in this draft, could definitely be drafted or rookie-listed.

Hisham Kerbatieh

Small forward, 177cm 81kg, Northern Blues

Buckenara says: Played VFL all year after missing out on being drafted in 2015 and kicked goals. Is smart and competitive but needs to improve his endurance.

Callan Wellings

Defender, 180cm, 72kg, North Ballarat Rebels/Trentham

Buckenara says: Missed early games 2016 but finished the year really well. Is disciplined, professional and has a great work ethic.

WHO DOES BUCKENARA RATE AS THE BEST PLAYER IN THIS YEAR’S DRAFT AND WHO HE’D TAKE AT PICK NO.1? STAY TUNED FOR PART TWO ON WEDNESDAY

funny when people judge Ben against his Dad, are they forgetting Darren was in his mid twenties when he went to Hawthorn?

fair to say Ben will be a bit better than he is now by the time he hits that age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back