List Mgmt. Pick 44 - Welcome Hugh Dixon

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
I find it funny that the next post down is someone someone from his club saying how he is “ a outstanding young man”. Most these kids have party’s when they get drafted!

Apparently you're a flog if you do

I see it as a group of young guys having a bit of fun and being happy for thier mate. Each to thier own I guess

FirstAccount

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

purplerunsdeep

Club Legend
Dec 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great video, mates are just happy for him.

That’s the youff of today, everything’s filmed.

Good on him and his mates for getting around him. No doubt there’s one or two in that room who weren’t picked up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jock graeme

Rookie
Aug 26, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is it really bad that he got his reaction filmed? He probably wanted to be able to relive the memory. Only happens once.
From what I have heard, I am positive that Dixon knew nothing about the recording and nothing was organised. Apparently there was a general consensus amongst some of his mates that he would go between 16 (Bulldogs) and 42 Fremantle (became 44). When Fremantle selected Ballendan at 44, a couple of people got their phones out. They, like Fremantle. knew the Lions would match the bid and thought Dixon may be up. When it happened, their was just happiness and relief from HD and his mates. Tasmania had no one drafted last year. First time ever. Hugh Dixon had been carrying the hopes of the AFL, his club, mates and family, and the whole state of Tasmania, for months leading up to the draft. I reckon a huge weight would have been lifted off his shoulders when he heard his name. The reaction says it all.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I found this interesting from Bishop's draft thread (combine results) - Dixon was only bested for agility by Allen:

Brander
3.11s 20m
8.40s Agility
21.1 Yo Yo
6min 58s 2km

Allen
3.07s 20m
8.27s Agility
21.1 Yo Yo
DNT 2km

Balta
3.05s 20m
8.38s Agility
DNT Yo Yo
6min 50s 2km

Dixon
3.19s 20m
8.31s Agility
DNT Yo Yo
DNT 2km

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I found this interesting from Bishop's draft thread (combine results) - Dixon was only bested for agility by Allen:

Brander
3.11s 20m
8.40s Agility
21.1 Yo Yo
6min 58s 2km

Allen
3.07s 20m
8.27s Agility
21.1 Yo Yo
DNT 2km

Balta
3.05s 20m
8.38s Agility
DNT Yo Yo
6min 50s 2km

Dixon
3.19s 20m
8.31s Agility
DNT Yo Yo
DNT 2km
I was hoping we would take Hugh because of his natural ability, and like Darcy the weight is easier to lose
than put on.
Shedding the puppy fat, fitness, also improves all the other bullsh*t tests, more important that the person is driven
to excel, because instinctive knowledge of the game is just as important as athleticism.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was hoping we would take Hugh because of his natural ability, and like Darcy the weight is easier to lose
than put on.
Shedding the puppy fat, fitness, also improves all the other bullsh*t tests, more important that the person is driven
to excel, because instinctive knowledge of the game is just as important as athleticism.
Hugh Dixon needs to put on weight (muscle), not lose it.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hugh Dixon needs to put on weight (muscle), not lose it.
Long term you are correct, but in his draft bio it was stated that his weakeness is speed, endurance, had dropped
weight and worked on conditioning over the last 18 months.
His body shape, size suggests in time he can replace the fat with muscle, without consequences.
Prefer that to what happened to Mason Shaw at Port, you could even argue Collins training program was misguided.

Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Its hilarious, his mother, who was the one offering the donuts, her last name is Homer! :) mmmmm Donuts.
In all seriousness sounds like there is a lot to work with there and a real lot of upside once he's fit.
Yeah I don't think anyone who has watched footy a bit thinks that any young key position players come with a guarantee, so pretty happy to settle for character and upside. Even then it is going to take a bit of time, but the club clearly has a bit of a fast track strategy in place going on the development that we saw from Darcy, Cox and Logue.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I don't think anyone who has watched footy a bit thinks that any young key position players come with a guarantee, so pretty happy to settle for character and upside. Even then it is going to take a bit of time, but the club clearly has a bit of a fast track strategy in place going on the development that we saw from Darcy, Cox and Logue.
I was more thinking of the comments his coach made about him:

"We encouraged him towards the end of the season to drop some weight, because he was a big kid and he's still got a lot of growing to do," AFL Tasmania's state talent manager Jy Bond told AFL.com.au.
"He's got amazing skills for his size and really brings other players into the game, but we had to prove that the program could turn him into a bit of an athlete."

Kid is still growing but I like the sound of amazing skills and brings others into the game.

Jan 5, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was more thinking of the comments his coach made about him:

"We encouraged him towards the end of the season to drop some weight, because he was a big kid and he's still got a lot of growing to do," AFL Tasmania's state talent manager Jy Bond told AFL.com.au.
"He's got amazing skills for his size and really brings other players into the game, but we had to prove that the program could turn him into a bit of an athlete."

Kid is still growing but I like the sound of amazing skills and brings others into the game.
The more I see the more I like. Could he be that key forward we have been waiting for? Time will tell. But dammit I'm excited about this kid.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back