News Sam Hayes signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

What is holding Sam Hayes back?
Michael+Voss+Ken+Hinkley+AFL+Rd+3+Port+Adelaide+uVAK9zQPe1Pl.jpg

Seriously though. I know about his knee. What does he need to do to get in the team? Who would he replace? Will not have the stamina to replace Lycett.

I think by the end of this year he will leap frog Ladhams as he has genuine forward craft.

Seriously though. I know about his knee. What does he need to do to get in the team? Who would he replace? Will not have the stamina to replace Lycett.
Sam is well ahead of the usual trajectory for young ruckmen I think. Add an ACL interruption to this and he is tracking very nicely indeed. He needs to keep building his body, strength and endurance. Could well debut this year but I wouldn't be in any rush to push him through too quickly to the detriment of his long term body development.
We currently have adequate cover so no need to rush.

Sam is well ahead of the usual trajectory for young ruckmen I think. Add an ACL interruption to this and he is tracking very nicely indeed. He needs to keep building his body, strength and endurance. Could well debut this year but I wouldn't be in any rush to push him through too quickly to the detriment of his long term body development.
We currently have adequate cover so no need to rush.
Thanks, seems to be the situation.

Why do you assume something is holding him back? He was injured in 2018 and played Sanfl last year.

I agree, Sam is still 20 years of age, has had an injury interrupted journey, and has had barely one season of SANFL footy. We don't have a box of pixie dust to sprinkle on these kids and make AFL champions of them overnight.

I will wait until I hear Ken utter, 'he's not ready yet' before I believe that anything or anyone is holding Sam back.

I actually like Hayes as a ruckman and a forward. I have been impressed with Sam's ability to mark and kick up forward but we will have to wait and see if this translates from SANFL to AFL.

I am also stunned at the speed with which some of us have assigned Peter Ladhams to the 'also ran' box. Ladhams was preferred to Lycett as Ryder's support at the end of last year and he didn't perform that badly. Pete's tap work may need work but he has the rare ability for a 200cm+ player to find the ball around the ground. Last year Ladhams picked up 23 possessions against the Sydney Swans and 18 against the Bombers while averaging 20 hit outs in support to Paddy Ryder. From where I sit the man under pressure is Scott Lycett as he has a 22 year old and a 20 year old, both with ability, breathing down his neck. Scott fired up in the second half last Saturday but his first quarter and a bit were totally forgettable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will not have the stamina to replace Lycett.
Stamina slash fitness was the rub on him at draft time and why a seemingly top 10 pick slid to us in the 40's (?)

Now that he's over his knee injury we need to give him enough incentive to stay with us and ignore the obvious interest from others

and this especially applies to our freeloading neighbours for whom I wouldn't give the steam off my piss. Make no mistake they're circling.

Saw the Port team photo today. Sam Hayes is clearly taller than Ladhams and Lycett and they go 203-4 cm.
I thought Sam was drafted at 205cm.
He mentioned that his older brother grew from 205 to 210 around the age of 20. I was hoping he would have a similar spurt.

I thought Sam was drafted at 205cm.
He mentioned that his older brother grew from 205 to 210 around the age of 20. I was hoping he would have a similar spurt.

203cm in his draft year. Listed by Port as 202 originally (see the OP) but was measured at 202.7 in draft combine.

I believe that Sam Hayes has the potential to be the best ruckman that we’ve ever had....... His size and agility is something special, he has soft hands in the hit outs and his skills are very neat.
That's a big call to say best we've ever had, but not as big as his coach at Eastern Rangers Darren Bewick who said this in the 2017 Inside Football Draft Profile special of 200 kids. I put this on page 1 of this thread.

Darren Bewick played with Simon Maddern at essendon, said to be the best ruckman in the V/AFL of the 80's & 90's.

"Sam is interesting because in five years time he could be the best ruckmen ever or some people think he might be on the scrapheap by then. His stats are extraordinary and he's got that much upside its not funny but he's just got to understand the requirements and actually put everything into place. Tap work is good, he's improving around the ground and he's just got to understand the game a bit more. Just a big kid and if he could get to a place where he has a good role model as a ruckman then that would really help him. Ability wise he's a first rounder but whether a club pulls the trigger on him that early is another thing." Eastern Rangers Darren Bewick.

That's a big call to say best we've ever had, but not as big as his coach at Eastern Rangers Darren Bewick who said this in the 2017 Inside Football Draft Profile special of 200 kids. I put this on page 1 of this thread.

Darren Bewick played with Simon Maddern at essendon, said to be the best ruckman in the V/AFL of the 80's & 90's.

"Sam is interesting because in five years time he could be the best ruckmen ever or some people think he might be on the scrapheap by then. His stats are extraordinary and he's got that much upside its not funny but he's just got to understand the requirements and actually put everything into place. Tap work is good, he's improving around the ground and he's just got to understand the game a bit more. Just a big kid and if he could get to a place where he has a good role model as a ruckman then that would really help him. Ability wise he's a first rounder but whether a club pulls the trigger on him that early is another thing." Eastern Rangers Darren Bewick.

sounds like he is well placed to fill the boots of dixon when dixon is injured. Giving him time out of the goal square and ruck to manage the tank.

The knock on Hayes has always been that he doesn’t apply himself to the game as much as he should; reading between the lines of Bewick’s statement points to that and I even remember on his draft video package another draftee saying “He hasn’t always been the best trainer.” - big words for a package where players generally kiss each other’s buttons.

What are people’s thoughts on this musical masterpiece?

Clearly he can have other passions, but I dunno, this irks me.

The knock on Hayes has always been that he doesn’t apply himself to the game as much as he should; reading between the lines of Bewick’s statement points to that and I even remember on his draft video package another draftee saying “He hasn’t always been the best trainer.” - big words for a package where players generally kiss each other’s buttons.

Musically it ain't my cup of tea, but there are plenty of athletes these days who do a bit of music on the side. As long as the side gig doesn't hinder them for putting 100% into their sport, I don't have a problem with it.

Should quit wasting his time and play video games

I really like Sam Hayes - he’s put on a lot of size but he needs time to grow into himself - coming back from the ACL last year he looked at times to have the balance, poise, and sure footed agility of a baby giraffe. That would be my knock on him. Apart from working on his tank, the coaches should be doing everything to help him centre himself - i’d have him doing yoga or martial arts and, as weird as it sounds, would be sending him off to do a little dancing - ballroom, tango or flamenco. This might provide his body with the discipline, rhythm, and confidence it sorely needs

Honestly, judging by the video - he needs to be delisted and made to realise what the * he is doing in an afl list.

This just continues to point to to fact that we don’t have an expected behaviour of our young players. It’s not their part time job. It IS their job. No terrible music options needed unless featuring club merchandise. (Seriously)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back