News Sam Hayes signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

As a junior hayes showed a bit as a ruck playing forward but he doesn’t look like he would be that dangerous forward if played there full time

More like Ryder, where if we played him forward he would be invisible for long stretches then pop up and do something good.

His height and reach would trouble defenders if he got to the right positions but how many times he gets to the right position (and doesn’t get in Dixon’s way) would be the question.
He’s definitely a more natural and dangerous forward than ladhams who is average aerially.

I would be okay with giving him a shot if the club thinks he’s ready but I doubt it happens.

As a junior hayes showed a bit as a ruck playing forward but he doesn’t look like he would be that dangerous forward if played there full time

More like Ryder, where if we played him forward he would be invisible for long stretches then pop up and do something good.

His height and reach would trouble defenders if he got to the right positions but how many times he gets to the right position (and doesn’t get in Dixon’s way) would be the question.
He’s definitely a more natural and dangerous forward than ladhams who is average aerially.

I would be okay with giving him a shot if the club thinks he’s ready but I doubt it happens.
So if you have to choose between the two which would you keep?

I want to know why he isn't talked about more by the club. He is clearly a far superior ruckman to Ladhams, and even though he doesn't have the ground ball presence, he is probably better in the air which might make him even more valuable in the modern AFL game.

Personally I'd like to see him playing this week, but im presuming that theres some reason he is a long way back, and it might be because he has no tank? He's a far better long term option than Ladhams, so I'd love to see him getting opportunity.

I want to know why he isn't talked about more by the club. He is clearly a far superior ruckman to Ladhams, and even though he doesn't have the ground ball presence, he is probably better in the air which might make him even more valuable in the modern AFL game.

Personally I'd like to see him playing this week, but im presuming that theres some reason he is a long way back, and it might be because he has no tank? He's a far better long term option than Ladhams, so I'd love to see him getting opportunity.

Doesn’t have the ‘Tank’.

His time is now though!
So if you have to choose between the two which would you keep?

Ladhams vs Hayes, depends on what the offers are. Early second rounder, sell. Hayes for a first rounder, would seriously consider it.

However would hold both for another 15-18 months.

There's throwing players to the wolves and then there's throwing players to the wolves.
1st gamer who's tank isn't where it needs to be against the form ruck of the competition.
Simply won't happen.
Brisbanes midfield didn't have an issue with Gawn. Our mids own the problem and are responsible for dealing with it. Not a rookie.
Would be about plan Z.

There's throwing players to the wolves and then there's throwing players to the wolves.
1st gamer who's tank isn't where it needs to be against the form ruck of the competition.
Simply won't happen.
Brisbanes midfield didn't have an issue with Gawn. Our mids own the problem and are responsible for dealing with it. Not a rookie.
Would be about plan Z.
Yeah I love Hayes but he needs to develop his tank.

Playing him this week would be like that game we threw and unfit Redden to thr wolves.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah I love Hayes but he needs to develop his tank.

Playing him this week would be like that game we threw and unfit Redden to thr wolves.

Not necessarily, as long as we aren’t picking him as the only ruck. Ladhams would be doing the bulk of the work, let Hayes do most of the centre square work then play forward.

Wouldn’t mind seeing him play forward with stints in the ruck if the club views him as ready but I suspect they won’t
Yep. With Marshall now out unlike to see him come in but he neither needs to be majority forward or else taken the centre bounce then go forward (much like Ryder did).

2018 plays a couple games for Magpies then gets a 2 year extension, then about 8 weeks later does an ACL
2019 takes 12 months recovery time and plays 11 games inc all 3 finals. Was ranked #4 in pegging order
2020 starts year #3 in rankings, covid hits doesn't play many practice/scratch matches doesn't go to hub.

Not sure what you want the club to talk him up about when the club has a strategy of not playing 2 rucks = will use Hoff and Dixon to support Lycett, has no B grade form, and at this stage of his career is a clear #3 ruck at the club.

Ladhams got 3 x 1 year contracts at end of the year, before hitting great form last year in SANFL when given the #1 job and no sharing the rucks and got a 3 year contract. The club gave Hayes a 2 year extension on a 2 year contract after 2 games. They know how good he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we aren't ready this year, and frankly if we did win it we'd always have that asterix next to it anyway. So best to keep it developing. Play Hayes as a forward now

I think we aren't ready this year, and frankly if we did win it we'd always have that asterix next to it anyway. So best to keep it developing. Play Hayes as a forward now

Lol... how big is the asterisk next to Hawks 2008???

I agree give the kids a taste but this Asterix talk is crap I will happily dip my hat to whoever wins it.
I agree. If you look up "Asterisk" in the dictionary you get this ....

asterisk
noun [ C ]

/ˈæs.tɚ.ɪsk/

* used primarily in modern sports culture to refer to the 2016 Western Bulldogs grand final victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back