News Sam Hayes signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Cahill is often credited for making his players think they were invincible and capable of walking on water. Meanwhile, Kern, Montgomery and Bassett tell their players that they have significant challenges in their games. If you continuously tell players they have weakness, that’s how they will see themselves. We have the shittiest coaches in the world.
This 100%. Couldn’t have put it any better

Jack Cahill is often credited for making his players think they were invincible and capable of walking on water. Meanwhile, Kern, Montgomery and Bassett tell their players that they have significant challenges in their games. If you continuously tell players they have weakness, that’s how they will see themselves. We have the shittiest coaches in the world.

Remember talking to a Port player in 1988 who said that was the big difference between Jack and Russell as coaches.

The psychology of footballers is an important factor.

I was thinking just the other day we should let him come in during the week for lessons on club tradition and culture: small group stuff on rotation or a whole group lecture because the players need some toughening up mentally in what the Port way is. My thought was prompted by the number of times our players chose not to go hard and win the ball themselves, instead allowing the Sydney player to have first crack at it; summed up perfectly when Frederick didn't run through the ball and waited for it to bounce to him so a swans player grabbed it, they hacked it forward until Aliir, too focused on his man falling down than charging at the ball, had a swan swoop past him to the ball and kicked a goal.

I was thinking just the other day we should let him come in during the week for lessons on club tradition and culture: small group stuff on rotation or a whole group lecture because the players need some toughening up mentally in what the Port way is. My thought was prompted by the number of times our players chose not to go hard and win the ball themselves, instead allowing the Sydney player to have first crack at it; summed up perfectly when Frederick didn't run through the ball and waited for it to bounce to him so a swans player grabbed it, they hacked it forward until Aliir, too focused on his man falling down than charging at the ball, had a swan swoop past him to the ball and kicked a goal.
Sadly I don't think such a talk would hold much credence with the modern player unless that player has grown up supporting Port Adelaide and or has come through its junior ranks.
The nationalisation of the AFL has diluted the pride of the jumper and the privilege representing that jumper and its community.
It's unfortunately true of most professional sports in my opinion, look at Manchester United in the EPL, dominated English Football under Ferguson, I doubt that many players on their current roster would be impacted greatly by a talk by Sir Alex Ferguson, their most recent campaign showed that many of the players picked and chose when they'd put in a shift.

Gotta play Hayes against Witts.

We got away with playing tall lean athletic Finlayson and Teakle against tall lean athletic Party Pete.

Witts is a 208cm, 112kg giant. He has about 10cm and 20kgs over Jezza. Have to play our 205cm giant Sam against him.

If they dont, you know there is some BS happening at Alberton.
Yep

Witts just notched up 37 hitouts versus genuine seasoned ruck O’Brien

If we’re dumb enough to ruck finlayson Witt’s will give 50 hitouts a fair crack.
Hate to to bring it up as I would love to see Sam dominate as first ruck for us but can anyone remember a ruckman that left us for another club and ended up making us regret the trade?

Come to think of it not too many players in the Hinkley era have left and survived to take a step up.
I mean that’s a pretty small sample size.

We’ve lost what? 4 rucks in hinkleys era and all left for a combined four fifths of * all, while all managed to make an impact at the club they went to. Even Carlton needed lobbe for that brief period.

In terms of what we lost? Probably don’t regret it, but in terms of what we got in return while making other teams stronger? It’s fairly bad business.

Also the second part is not entirely correct. There’s a few ex port players currently playing as first 22 players in the league. I’m not saying we shouldnt have traded them, I just think the call that none of them have stepped up isn’t totally correct.

Hayes and Williams need to have some Travis Boak style super pre-season to build their tanks.

Hayes and Williams need to have some Travis Boak style super pre-season to build their tanks.
Is it possible to improve them that much though and I ask not to be flippant more from a sports science angle?
Take a Sam Mitchell or Greg Williams as examples, strength train them as much as you want, there always going to be slow in comparison to their competitors.
Is it possible that some players will never improve their endurance that much as it's not within their genetics?
I assume that draft combine analysis could indicate future projections of speed and endurance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed and he should start in the box.

Have no issue with Hayes papers being stamped if we have ample ruck options. If it means a good draft pick return for a potential A grade midfielder, I’m happy with that

Have no issue with Hayes papers being stamped if we have ample ruck options. If it means a good draft pick return for a potential A grade midfielder, I’m happy with that
We wouldn't get a good draft pick in return, because as we always do in these situations, we've tanked the player's trade value before putting him on the market.

The massive back flip by the club on Hayes has me wondering if there is something else in play. If Dante gets the call up this week then surely his papers are stamped.
In my opinion everyone is reading way to much into it. Hayes, while looking great in the ruck taps, has shown barely anything around the ground. He's a big strong slow lumbering ruck. This can work at AFL level but you need some exceptional qualities to make up for what's lost when the ball hits the ground. If Sam was kicking goals or taking big pack marks (at AFL level) on the regular I'm sure he would have kept his spot. Members of this forum will argue the contrary, but the coaching group has shown they will play young players, countless examples of other young players prove this. I think it's just a case of Sam not quite doing enough at this stage, and it sounds like he's willing to work on his deficiencies which in the long run should make him a better player.

Seems obvious to me.

Hayes is a good tap ruckman but offers little around the ground or once the ball hits the deck. He lacks the fitness, agility and power. To be honest, it’s been a bit of a disappointment and has raised some serious questions about Sam and the club’s list management. Why did they go in reliant on him solely as back up? Why is his draft issue (lack of fitness) still his issue now? Why is a player with a 14 day career able to show more?

Think of the current crop of good AFL ruckmen. Gawn, Witts, Grundy, Ryder/Marshall, Nankervis, McEvoy(maybe not anymore), Nic Nat, probably forgotten one or two. They all provide something - physical aggression, contest work, goal kicking, game breaking ruck work, outlet marking. Sam doesn’t. Brynn showed more in his 35 minutes of footy.

That’s not to say Sam won’t get there. Gawn and Witts took ages and are probably most similar in being big, lumbering tap rucks. He does seem to have serious footy skills and a good footy brain. Seems to be willing to work at it. This year will be a good one to highlight the standard required, his strengths, his deficiencies and what the side requires in a ruck. Very much over to you Sammy - hoping you kill this next patch and are our lead ruck soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back