News Sam Hayes signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

It has zero to do with the ruck contest, and everything to do with our lack of respect for an opponent that saw they had an opportunity to take advantage of a team that wasn't prepared to run hard in the heat.

In Saturday's Crowvertiser, Ken made the point to the team about this exact thing and they were not going to take them lightly.

how did we not respect them if you noted ken said we wouldn't take them lightly and - we won?

If Brisbane didn't make so many skill errors they would have beaten us comfortably, lucky it was them and not the Cows.
And if my Aunty had a dick she'd be my Uncle.

Firstly, Brisbane were rather exemplary with their kicking on the weekend - I'm sure it will end up as one of the best kicking by a side in a single match this year. Yes, they made some poor decisions, but that's footy. You could equally as solidly make the argument that if we didn't make so many errors we would have beaten them comfortably.

In the end we showed we were a class above in that 3rd quarter display, but we were too gassed at 3QT and mentally switched off which allowed Brisbane a sniff of a win towards the end of the game. But we again showed we were a class above by having the composure to defend well in the last 5 minutes, something we haven't been known for before.

Their rucks pantsed us that night by running a constant rotation of two of Smith/Stanley/Blicavs at every stoppage with one of them going third man up against Lobbe who was our only ruckman. That strategy obviously won’t work now with the new ruck rules.

Although it was light-hearted, there's a reason Blicavs tweeted that he was retiring after the 3rd man up rule was announced at the end of that season.

Have thought about this and you know what our biggest issue was? Westhoff playing a s**t and unaccountable game. I concede that Westhoff isn't a Ruckman. He' going to lose the majority of taps to an A grade Ruckman. What I can' concede is the rest of his work around the ground. Martin absolutely pansed him with work rate. Martin had 16 kicks, 14 handballs, 7 marks and 7 tackles. Compare that to Westhoffs 4, 8, 3 and 5. Westhoff didn't work hard enough on the stuff he could actually compete with Martin on.

Have thought about this and you know what our biggest issue was? Westhoff playing a s**t and unaccountable game. I concede that Westhoff isn't a Ruckman. He' going to lose the majority of taps to an A grade Ruckman. What I can' concede is the rest of his work around the ground. Martin absolutely pansed him with work rate. Martin had 16 kicks, 14 handballs, 7 marks and 7 tackles. Compare that to Westhoffs 4, 8, 3 and 5. Westhoff didn't work hard enough on the stuff he could actually compete with Martin on.
I reckon this was his protest at us not playing an actual ruckman.

I reckon this was his protest at us not playing an actual ruckman.

So we won without a ruckman or a Hoff!

I swear if Dixon gets injured rucking I will write a very strongly worded email to Ben!

I love Hayes as a prospect, and I think he's played two really strong games in the SANFL, but if we are picking a stopgap ruckman until Ryder comes back I'd think they'd have to pick Frampton. For what it's worth, I don't think we'll pick any stopgap ruckman during Ryder's absence, but I'd hate to see Hayes go in and get the confidence knocked out of him by being unable to run out the game or by going up against far more mature AFL bodies when he is such a good long term prospect.

Fantastic point, Martin was like an unregistered dog. Good for my fantasy team but it showed there is no way we can continue with Westhoff as our ruck for any extended period. We also shouldn't sacrifice our forward structure by having Dixon playing ruck. Just play Frampton for a couple of games and s**t he might actually get some valuable experience or some trade value at worst and we might actually win or play better because we aren't compromising several players in multiple areas to cover just one!

I love Hayes as a prospect, and I think he's played two really strong games in the SANFL, but if we are picking a stopgap ruckman until Ryder comes back I'd think they'd have to pick Frampton. For what it's worth, I don't think we'll pick any stopgap ruckman during Ryder's absence, but I'd hate to see Hayes go in and get the confidence knocked out of him by being unable to run out the game or by going up against far more mature AFL bodies when he is such a good long term prospect.

Agree Hayes is too raw for AFL, Frampton is the one that should come in. It's for 2-3 weeks for crying out loud give him a go!

As an aside, saw Paddy Monday. Looked like he was moving pretty freely, may not be out as long as first thought?

Maybe but at the same time injured players running around at training wouldn't last 5 minutes in an AFL match without blowing a gasket.

As an aside, saw Paddy Monday. Looked like he was moving pretty freely, may not be out as long as first thought?
Pretty sure they are being overly cautious. If it was a final this weekend you could guarantee he would be playing and would be fit enough to perform.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

heard a whisper that Sam went down with a "bad looking "knee today at training anyone heard anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back