News Sam Hayes signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

It is what it is. Did not brendon lad have 2 leg/knee injuries one where a team mate jumped into him. Which i always thought was crap when playing. So gymn time for upper body etc and can have a career like lade. Overcast and drizzling in carsacone.
1370076836333.gif

d58226ca1b7e6b3f915e4d629f4d631a.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam Hayes reckons he must have crossed paths with a black cat.
“It’s a bit like that because I’ve sure spent a long time in rehab,’’ Port Adelaide’s emerging ruck giant said of his injury and illness plagued first season-and-a-half at Alberton.

“But I guess these things can happen as a footballer. If anything, it’s just taught me to have pretty good resilience.

“But I’m very happy to be back playing now, I can tell you.’’

Hayes, 20, is the least heralded of the Power’s five ruck options, which includes current No. 1, West Coast premiership player Scott Lycett, 2017 All-Australian Paddy Ryder, Peter Ladhams and Billy Frampton, and the only one not to have played an AFL game.

Hayes now tips the scales at 100kg - just 6kg short of his optimum playing weight of 106kg, which he says would enable him to physically match it with the two ruckmen he models his game on, 2018 All-Australians, Melbourne’s Max Gawn and Collingwood’s Brodie Grundy, who win so much of the ball they are like extra midfielders.

do you think we will see him don a power guernsey in 2019?
He shouldn't. Not because I don't think he is good enough but I don't want Lycett to get injured or lose form and I reckon Ladhams deserves a run of 3 or 4 games in a row, and Billy deserves a couple of games before year finishes, so there wont be room.

We wont play Lycett, Ladhams, Billy + Hayes unless we have a s**t load of injuries.

Although, if he is in good form and we don't make finals and have an injury, then why not for the last game or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next year with a pre-season under his belt, I wouldn't be surprised if he's our 3rd tall forward/backup ruck in the AFL side.
My only problem with this is we tend to struggle playing two rucks and Sam is more than handy as a forward but is still the genuine ruckman type.

My only problem with this is we tend to struggle playing two rucks and Sam is more than handy as a forward but is still the genuine ruckman type.
I'm confident it could work if the fwd/ruck can take contested marks. Something Ryder failed at doing.

do you think we will see him don a power guernsey in 2019?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a game or two at the end of the year. Huge talent.

Next year with a pre-season under his belt, I wouldn't be surprised if he's our 3rd tall forward/backup ruck in the AFL side.

My favourite thing about this post is that it means we have a new senior coach next year - there's no way Hinkley plays three talls in a forwardline.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back