Past 33. Sam Ramsay

Remove this Banner Ad

What I really don't like is having to use picks like this to take up the slack for players taken much higher in previous drafts. We really should be mixing things up a bit.
What does using picks like this to take up the slack for higher draft picks mean, if anything?

What does mixing things up mean for a draft pick? Do I understand you wanted another Finbar pick?

Kid looks good, no idea how he will turn out. Tambling was the best 16 y/o in the country in most recruiters eyes, had massive wraps. The big knock on Bont was he has a tendency to go missing in games. Claims of this and that are pretty futile at this juncture. So far this kid's Carlton career all seems on track! Can only get behind him and tell him to put his head down and work his ar@e off. That will go a long way to determining if he comes through with the goods or not.

People are aware you can go watch him on the NAB League app right?

Every single game this year. Every one of his involvements. Not ‘highlights’. ‘Involvements’.

Make at least a that effort (if not watch his full games). Ffs

Liked your pre-draft efforts, windows1.
Could I trouble you for a solid review of all our picks, hopefully including a rookie or 2 today. Fumbles measure a must.

Fish like evasion, very happy with all three of our young guns, especially now that we are out of the blood every young fella rnd1 cause we have no one else, these 3 boys can learn their craft in the VFL much like Cottrell / BSOS and Finbar, Can we just fast forward to rnd1 2020, I can't ******* wait!

Spot on. Good we can now develop some of these kids for a year or 2 in the VFL before wheeling them out.

During Geelongs dynasty they would tuck kids away for 2 or 3 years... roll them out and you would go "where have they been hiding this bloke"

Very important we get our VFL side right though. Not rolling into games with 3 rucks will be a good start.

We should have a much better balance across the park now.

This bloke is going to put heaps of pressure on LOB for a spot.
Good!

I just said this in the Philp thread, but competition is not a bad thing. If these boys are ready to go, and are in better knick, why the * not? As long as we all remember, no two players are the same or play the same way. Philp is not Dow, and Sam is not LOB; they can do similar things, but they're not the same player.

It's now over to Teague and the coaches, to find the appropriate mix of mids and half forwards to get us flying. Don't have the excuse anymore that we don't have the players. We do now.

Ramma has always been an excellent junior footballer. He is very quick and has a long left foot. If I were in the Carlton coaching group Id give Sam the opportunity to play in 2020 as a Mid/Small forward during match practice. He is very good at swooping on the crumbs at top speed and getting a snap goal away.

Liked your pre-draft efforts, windows1.
Could I trouble you for a solid review of all our picks, hopefully including a rookie or 2 today. Fumbles measure a must.
To be honest I’m probably only reliable for a deep review of Kemp. The others I need to watch more of and think. Which I’m happy to do. Ok fine I will.

😜

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Killing me the Bighouse. Here ya go.

Good hands. Not a fumbler. Very good hands actually. Love guys like him who can just effortlessly pick up ground balls. Weightman like (from this draft) in that way. Kicking very good. Leftie and runs on to it creating a bit of space for himself in the process. Right is rarely sighted but seems functional. Seems athletic enough. Probably an early area of development is he tends to get and give super quick, too quick. He handballs to someone too close to him a lot. So he often isn’t damaging because he’s not making space/releasing. I feel he has the athletic ability to hang on to it for that split second longer and look for a longer target by hand. But he probably worries about being rag dolled - more on the body later. To be clear though he never makes ‘bad’ decisions. Like ever. Just think he could be more damaging and creative with his hands. Body needs strengthening up. He’s not pencil thin or anything- don’t get me wrong here. I don’t automatically give a leave pass on this ‘because they are young’ - some guys just don’t ever get strong enough to stand up in tackles. He looks ‘smallish’. Not fisher small. Just a bit small. I ‘think’ he will be able to get strong enough but I’d say it’s a watch point. Often reminds me of Fish in his movement. Nice type. He’s very smart. Really knows where the ball is going and relies on his excellent ability to pick the ball up off his shoelaces on the move. He can do that all day: read the play, get in close, hit the ball on the move, not fumble, dish off. Can he hold his ground and GET to the fall of the ball at AFl level? Can he stand up in tackles? He’s going to need to. He’s quickISH without being ‘fast’. He’s agile without being ‘dynamic’. Another thing I like about him is he’s a ball hunter. Wants it. Has a nose for it. Give it to me. Runs past team mates to get it. I expect him to play on ball in VFL next year, get a lot of it and do really well at that level. Reasonable probability he’s an AFl player long term for mine. At least good fringe / backup reliable type for a long time. I think that’s his floor. Regular seniors option at least in 2021. Pleasant surprise at that pick.

Ramma has always been an excellent junior footballer. He is very quick and has a long left foot. If I were in the Carlton coaching group Id give Sam the opportunity to play in 2020 as a Mid/Small forward during match practice. He is very good at swooping on the crumbs at top speed and getting a snap goal away.
I wonder if they picked Sammy Walsh's brain for intelligence on Sam at under 16 level. He knows them so he should be used as a recruiting resource

Good hands. Not a fumbler. Very good hands actually. Love guys like him who can just effortlessly pick up ground balls. Weightman like (from this draft) in that way. Kicking very good. Leftie and runs on to it creating a bit of space for himself in the process. Right is rarely sighted but seems functional. Seems athletic enough. Probably an early area of development is he tends to get and give super quick, too quick. He handballs to someone too close to him a lot. So he often isn’t damaging because he’s not making space/releasing. I feel he has the athletic ability to hang on to it for that split second longer and look for a longer target by hand. But he probably worries about being rag dolled - more on the body later. To be clear though he never makes ‘bad’ decisions. Like ever. Just think he could be more damaging and creative with his hands. Body needs strengthening up. He’s not pencil thin or anything- don’t get me wrong here. I don’t automatically give a leave pass on this ‘because they are young’ - some guys just don’t ever get strong enough to stand up in tackles. He looks ‘smallish’. Not fisher small. Just a bit small. I ‘think’ he will be able to get strong enough but I’d say it’s a watch point. Often reminds me of Fish in his movement. Nice type. He’s very smart. Really knows where the ball is going and relies on his excellent ability to pick the ball up off his shoelaces on the move. He can do that all day: read the play, get in close, hit the ball on the move, not fumble, dish off. Can he hold his ground and GET to the fall of the ball at AFl level? Can he stand up in tackles? He’s going to need to. He’s quickISH without being ‘fast’. He’s agile without being ‘dynamic’. Another thing I like about him is he’s a ball hunter. Wants it. Has a nose for it. Give it to me. Runs past team mates to get it. I expect him to play on ball in VFL next year, get a lot of it and do really well at that level. Reasonable probability he’s an AFl player long term for mine. At least good fringe / backup reliable type for a long time. I think that’s his floor. Regular seniors option at least in 2021. Pleasant surprise at that pick.
great effort windows thank you from all of us purveyors of Carlton .truly!

People are aware you can go watch him on the NAB League app right?

Every single game this year. Every one of his involvements. Not ‘highlights’. ‘Involvements’.

Make at least a that effort (if not watch his full games). Ffs

Excuse my ignorance windows, but I’m unaware of this app. Is it free or a paid subscription?

Yes agreed here. I suggest people watch a few Calder games and observe the young man in a real match.

There really isn't much not to like. He ticks so many boxes and has significant upside with his skinny physique currently.

Ecstatic with this pick from our recruiting team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back