Past 33. Sam Ramsay

Remove this Banner Ad

Killing me the Bighouse. Here ya go.

Good hands. Not a fumbler. Very good hands actually. Love guys like him who can just effortlessly pick up ground balls. Weightman like (from this draft) in that way. Kicking very good. Leftie and runs on to it creating a bit of space for himself in the process. Right is rarely sighted but seems functional. Seems athletic enough. Probably an early area of development is he tends to get and give super quick, too quick. He handballs to someone too close to him a lot. So he often isn’t damaging because he’s not making space/releasing. I feel he has the athletic ability to hang on to it for that split second longer and look for a longer target by hand. But he probably worries about being rag dolled - more on the body later. To be clear though he never makes ‘bad’ decisions. Like ever. Just think he could be more damaging and creative with his hands. Body needs strengthening up. He’s not pencil thin or anything- don’t get me wrong here. I don’t automatically give a leave pass on this ‘because they are young’ - some guys just don’t ever get strong enough to stand up in tackles. He looks ‘smallish’. Not fisher small. Just a bit small. I ‘think’ he will be able to get strong enough but I’d say it’s a watch point. Often reminds me of Fish in his movement. Nice type. He’s very smart. Really knows where the ball is going and relies on his excellent ability to pick the ball up off his shoelaces on the move. He can do that all day: read the play, get in close, hit the ball on the move, not fumble, dish off. Can he hold his ground and GET to the fall of the ball at AFl level? Can he stand up in tackles? He’s going to need to. He’s quickISH without being ‘fast’. He’s agile without being ‘dynamic’. Another thing I like about him is he’s a ball hunter. Wants it. Has a nose for it. Give it to me. Runs past team mates to get it. I expect him to play on ball in VFL next year, get a lot of it and do really well at that level. Reasonable probability he’s an AFl player long term for mine. At least good fringe / backup reliable type for a long time. I think that’s his floor. Regular seniors option at least in 2021. Pleasant surprise at that pick.
Great stuff windows1. You've made a lot of accurate comments about these draftees lately, I really hope you keep watching junior footy next year.

Great stuff windows1. You've made a lot of accurate comments about these draftees lately, I really hope you keep watching junior footy next year.
Thanks SC. My interest waxes and wanes. When we drafted Weiters I was all over it. Went to a lot of junior games. I was obsessed with the Kreuzer Vs Cotchin debate (possibly the last time HBF liked one of my posts!). In other years it bores me for whatever reason. The increased availability of footage is making me get keen again. It would be better if SA and WA had more content.

For whatever it’s worth btw- as the dust settles on this year’s draft I would have Green above any other player.

Thanks SC. My interest waxes and wanes. When we drafted Weiters I was all over it. Went to a lot of junior games. I was obsessed with the Kreuzer Vs Cotchin debate (possibly the last time HBF liked one of my posts!). In other years it bores me for whatever reason. The increased availability of footage is making me get keen again. It would be better if SA and WA had more content.

For whatever it’s worth btw- as the dust settles on this year’s draft I would have Green above any other player.
But surely our three new ones are better.(Even the rookies.) :)

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. But I got a piece of information today that brought a smile to my face.

The crows rang Richmond when they were on the clock at 46 to try to trade up from 48 to 46. Richmond said they were interested but wouldn't consider it without knowing what player they wanted. The deal fell through anyway, but the player the Crows wanted at 46 was Sam Ramsay. The knowledge that we ended up taking they player the wanted one pick before they could gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. But I got a piece of information today that brought a smile to my face.

The crows rang Richmond when they were on the clock at 46 to try to trade up from 48 to 46. Richmond said they were interested but wouldn't consider it without knowing what player they wanted. The deal fell through anyway, but the player the Crows wanted at 46 was Sam Ramsay. The knowledge that we ended up taking they player the wanted one pick before they could gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.
giphy.gif

Love the look of Ramsay. Blistering form, blistering pace and a well-spoken kid who seems keen to crack in. Put a bit of muscle on and earn his spot, he could just be a surprise packet.

Good to hear he's mates with Josh Honey - always easier settling in with a friend alongside you. Seems we're making a habit of that (BSOS and Finbar).

Welcome to the club, Sammy.

Seems we did that twice in the one draft with back to back picks (20 with Philp and 47 with Ramsay). Adds an extra bit of spice to the picks.

Last edited:

If only we had taken talia and left the crows Lucas like they wanted...

As we bid on Green and as GWS have too many inside mids and a limited ability to play and pay them all well, I think we are a sneaky chance to chase Green in the future. Hope we can get him cheap and then have him explode into elite at CFC...

As we bid on Green and as GWS have too many inside mids and a limited ability to play and pay them all well, I think we are a sneaky chance to chase Green in the future. Hope we can get him cheap and then have him explode into elite at CFC...
I had a similar thought on draft night. Definitely a touch of bidding for Setters about this. I guess it is a case of watch this space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the look of Ramsay. Blistering form, blistering pace and a well-spoken kid who seems keen to crack in. Put a bit of muscle on and earn his spot, he could just be a surprise packet.

Good to hear he's mates with Josh Honey - always easier settling in with a friend alongside you. Seems we're making a habit of that (BSOS and Finbar).

Welcome to the club, Sammy.

Seems we did that twice in the one draft with back to back picks (20 with Philp and 47 with Ramsay). Adds an extra bit of spice to the picks.
Honey and Ramsay both went to Maribyrnong Sports Academy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back