Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

I know an East Freemantle senior colts player who is 17 yrs old, 6'4", 89 kgs and runs the 2 km time trial in a sniff over 2 mins. Plays ruck and full forward.

With the weight training they do, it might embarrass some of our youngsters or perhaps coaches.
I think you need to check your stopwatch.

800m - 1:45 is a world class, supposedly Crawford was able to run 1:50.x and the overwhelming majority of AFL wouldn't run 800m in 2 minutes flat.

A fast 2km time trial for a non track athlete would be about 5:30 to 6:00 range given the fastest 271 times ever recorded are between 4:44 and 4:59.99.

Harry Sharp shocked nearly everyone at the 2020 Vic Combine when he was able to do a 5:28. The previous best at a full AFL Combine was 5:50. But Harry ran 3,000m and steeplechase in junior athletics competitions.

My guess is this East Freo colts player probably runs 2km in just over 6 minutes. That is still a decent clip.

I think you need to check your stopwatch.

800m - 1:45 is a world class, supposedly Crawford was able to run 1:50.x and the overwhelming majority of AFL wouldn't run 800m in 2 minutes flat.

A fast 2km time trial for a non track athlete would be about 5:30 to 6:00 range given the fastest 271 times ever recorded are between 4:44 and 4:59.99.

Harry Sharp shocked nearly everyone at the 2020 Vic Combine when he was able to do a 5:28. The previous best at a full AFL Combine was 5:50. But Harry ran 3,000m and steeplechase in junior athletics competitions.

My guess is this East Freo colts player probably runs 2km in just over 6 minutes. That is still a decent clip.
Appreciate the informative lecture but was only quoting what I was told.

Ollie was very good today, wouldn't have lost a marking contest and showing good agility and fight at ground level.

Genuine sticky fingered marking forward.

Should get a call up, especially if we are going to persist with Finlayson in ruck.

Terrific game at centre half forward from Lord.

9 marks with a number of them contested and a few good forward entries, as well as a goal. He's developing nicely.

Can't wait to see him get a solitary game in 2026

Real talk

Any other club would already be getting games into him

Kfs at the same stage (2 years on a list)

Hipwood - 30 afl games

Mackay - 2 afl games

Larkey - 2 afl games (and was injured in his second year stopping him playing more)

Mitch Lewis - 2 afl games

Ben king - 31

Max king - 18

And so on.

Other teams don’t wait forever to blood their kfs and they actively try to get games into their kfs asap.

Not only should we have been trying to get lord into the side for at least a couple of games this year, we’ve had several perfect opportunities to do it where we needed a tall kf / ruck..

If the selectors are not prepared to give Lord a crack at AFL level.
Is he worth experimenting as a KPD, which we need more than a KPF. Jonas is not doing it. Clurey & AA, are doing there best.
But that 3rd tall is lacking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Lord and understand that he has played higher up the ground in a poor Magpies team but he has kicked 9 goals in 9 games this season.

I wouldn’t pick him until he has a few 4/5/6 goal games in a row.

Last edited:
What's with the obsession here of wanting to turn naturally gifted tall forwards and rucks into key defenders?

Real talk

Any other club would already be getting games into him

Kfs at the same stage (2 years on a list)

Hipwood - 30 afl games

Mackay - 2 afl games

Larkey - 2 afl games (and was injured in his second year stopping him playing more)

Mitch Lewis - 2 afl games

Ben king - 31

Max king - 18

And so on.

Other teams don’t wait forever to blood their kfs and they actively try to get games into their kfs asap.

Not only should we have been trying to get lord into the side for at least a couple of games this year, we’ve had several perfect opportunities to do it where we needed a tall kf / ruck..
He's developing nicely but he is still a fair way back in the que. We need to fit a genuine ruck and Georgiadis (who's kicked 7 goals in 2 weeks in the bars) in the starting 22 before we would be looking at Lord. He went like 65 in the 2020 draft - there's no hurry - let him build

Its because we now have ample supply of young forwards and a dearth of young key backs.
We do have a good crop of developing talls. From yesterday's game I can see all of Hayes,Teakle, Lord, Visentini and of course Georgiadis making it at afl level. We may have to trade for some KPD's to balance the pipeline

He's developing nicely but he is still a fair way back in the que. We need to fit a genuine ruck and Georgiadis (who's kicked 7 goals in 2 weeks in the bars) in the starting 22 before we would be looking at Lord. He went like 65 in the 2020 draft - there's no hurry - let him build
I mean we can say he’s a fair way back in the queue, but we’ve had really obvious chances to blood him.

We went into last weeks game with only 2 kfs, one who is very rusty returning from injury and a kf playing ruck

There’s obvious evidence that other teams would have blooded lord in that opportunity

I don’t think we need to get 20 games a year into him at this stage, but getting games into him when there’s an obvious opportunity to do so is the bare minimum we should be doing.

Terrific game at centre half forward from Lord.

9 marks with a number of them contested and a few good forward entries, as well as a goal. He's developing nicely.

Been to a few maggies games this season, and every game he manages to do something impressive to catch the eye - even if he's getting horrible forward entries.

Hits packs hard, can take a big contested mark and seems a good kick. A lot to like.

I'd rather we worried about getting games into Hayes and Georgiades before we worry about getting games into Lord.
Yes and no

It’s all the same issue

We’re going to make the same mistakes with lord that we’ve made with other talls like hayes

Ie don’t blood them or get games into them when we have chances early, wait until we have no other choice but to pick them, then ask them to perform key roles against seasoned players, then drop them as soon as they don’t perform like a seasoned gun veteran with 200+ games under their belt.

It’s a self fulfilling prophecy and ken hellers sorry hinkleys perfect catch -22.

They’re not ready to play so you don’t play them, and when you play them they’re not ready so you drop them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back