Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

All part of his development, if it provides him with a greater all round skillset that gives him positional flexibilty then no sweat. Darcy Moore started forward and Bucks moved him back, modern players need to be adaptable.

So moving Chad Cornes to CHB in 2004 after kicking a career high 29 goals in 2003 was a bad call? Or Shaun Burgoyne to a rebounding defender after kicking 39 goals in 2003? It's not uncommon, it can pay off big and if it doesn't work they can always move him back. Right now he is more likely to get a game as a tall defender if he shows anything there as a tall forward so chances are he is just as happy playing back.
Chad did the whole preseason planning to move from FF to CHB. That's the import part of Phithy's post.

Chad did the whole preseason planning to move from FF to CHB. That's the import part of Phithy's post.

Well comparatively Chad was playing for sheep stations too. We have moved Ollie down back in the reserves to see how he handles it. As a young player you would have to expect you might be subject to some role experimentation depending on what the needs are in the seniors. I'm not sure we are pulling out the rug from under him. I doubt we walked him out to defense wearing a blindfold as the game started.

Fair enough that ideally you might wait until next season with some preseason preparation in the role.

Ollie has some mongrel about him, can do contested marks and is not bad below his knees. Mason Shaw had a scaredy cat persona about 'im.

The EF in '15? for the Maggies Hammer's brother Adam took him to the cleaners all by showing him a bit of close attention and Mason wilted.

If Ollie is not debuted this year old mate needs to be called to answer for his stubborn idiocy.

What does this mean exactly?
Either he has a massive 🍆 or has been accompanied by multiple partners to club functions?

I’m hoping for the first! Jonts please tell us Lords member shall be knighted, need a new Thomilf

100% on board with them moving Lord to the backlines. It’s an absolute need for us and gives Ollie a much better chance of playing AFL. He’s not getting a gig in our forward line anytime soon. Why was it done half way through the year? Surmann leaving and Teakle arriving it just made sense. He’ll be much better for the experience he’s gained this year for next.

No problems with the move into defence with a full pre season and if he's got the IQ to do the job. Could solve what is going to become a massive problem for us in the very near future as well as creating a opportunity for Ollie to get a run next year.

Ollie Lord does look an impressive athlete…… I would be more than happy to see him debut this year…… but either way, he’s only 20 and his body will benefit from another summer in the gym.….. not slow, good below his knees and can take a good contested mark. He could just be the answer to our big defender deficit.

Ollie Lord does look an impressive athlete…… I would be more than happy to see him debut this year…… but either way, he’s only 20 and his body will benefit from another summer in the gym.….. not slow, good below his knees and can take a good contested mark. He could just be the answer to our big defender deficit.
so not slow means...not not fast?

Just kidding. I like his attitude and hope he succeeds wherever he feels comfortable.

Both Davies and Cripps in recent interviews have confirmed he will be persisted with as a KPD next season.

Those who watched him seemed pretty down on that experiment. Hopefully with a preseason learning the role he can pick it up and start performing. He certainly has the size that we need and is a reasonable contested mark.

I think it is the right call to move him out of the forward line. I like Teakle and Visentini more in as the big bullocking Dixon like forward and we don't need three of those types in the same forward line.

I think there is a need to get another forward though - preferably someone who brings a bit of a different skill set to Visentini and Teakle.

Definitely worth giving him the summer to work on it makes sense from our list perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both Davies and Cripps in recent interviews have confirmed he will be persisted with as a KPD next season.

Those who watched him seemed pretty down on that experiment. Hopefully with a preseason learning the role he can pick it up and start performing. He certainly has the size that we need and is a reasonable contested mark.

I think it is the right call to move him out of the forward line. I like Teakle and Visentini more in as the big bullocking Dixon like forward and we don't need three of those types in the same forward line.

I think there is a need to get another forward though - preferably someone who brings a bit of a different skill set to Visentini and Teakle.

Would have thought Teakle FF, Visentini as a fwd/ruck, and Lord CHF would be a good balance. Lord is a good marking target leading up the ground.

In the last SANFL game

In the last SANFL game, Teakle scored 4.0 and Visentini 2.2. I think Lord moving back is wise.

Everything I’ve seen of Lord screams natural forward. I understand the temptation to use his size and push him back, but it’s a pity that we have to try and turn him into something else purely because of our own list management failures…

What Lord needs is a job. KPD is his best hope of landing one here.
A really good preseason getting his mindset right and learning the ropes in defence hopefully gets him a 10 year career at Port.

To me he fits in that classic Mason Shaw, Mitch Harvey, Billy Frampton zone of being able to a few nice things which give people hope but ultimately not enough to make it. At this point in time I would say he is likely to be delisted at the end of 2023 unless he shows significant improvement.

I don't think he has the mobility or skill level to play as a true CHF. The best place for him to forge a career is as a defender.

Everything I’ve seen of Lord screams natural forward. I understand the temptation to use his size and push him back, but it’s a pity that we have to try and turn him into something else purely because of our own list management failures…

100% ^

Dooogz was recruited as a CHF nah lets play him back nah let's get rid of 'im. Lord's contested marking AND mongrel together with his size

and mobility is perfect as a KPF. Marshall aint ever going to be crashing packs he's more an open field finesse type.

100% ^

Dooogz was recruited as a CHF nah lets play him back nah let's get rid of 'im. Lord's contested marking AND mongrel together with his size

and mobility is perfect as a KPF. Marshall aint ever going to be crashing packs he's more an open field finesse type.
Yep I think you play the one with the most mongrel down back.

In terms of mongrel to me its: Visentini >> Teakle >> Lord.

I like Lord as a Jeremy Cameron type, and I like Visentini as a Danny Hughes type.
What I've seen of Teakle I like, but unsure of his role so far.

Yep I think you play the one with the most mongrel down back.

In terms of mongrel to me its: Visentini >> Teakle >> Lord.

I like Lord as a Jeremy Cameron type, and I like Visentini as a Danny Hughes type.
What I've seen of Teakle I like, but unsure of his role so far.

Port defenders with mongrel is a red flag to umps ever ready to employ the Port Tax. We need defenders in the Harris Andrews, Darcy Moore mold.

Ball players who don't invite umpires to give away expensive frees.

"What I've seen of Teakle I like, but unsure of his role so far."... first up he needs to bulk up. He shows promise but he's built like a toothpick.

A Westhoff role beckons but he's a year or 2 away from realising his potential. Early early days for him... already i've seen encouraging signs

but then i've seen alarm bells. A hail Mary pick that might pay off.

Visentini could be anything, an exciting prospect who is still a kid, 2 pre-seasons away from us knowing one way or the other.

One thing is certain, time waits for no-one and Charlies' days are numbered. We played good footy without him and that's encouraging.

OLLIE LORD was fitter and stronger than he had ever been, and was pressing his claims for an AFL debut but an innocuous collision at training saw him lose ten kilograms in a month.

Seven weeks on from the clash that saw him suffer a lacerated kidney, Lord has resumed full contact training.

He is eating. A lot. And spending plenty of time in the gym as he looks to push his weight back up towards 90 kilograms.

I think the realities of his draft position, albeit more uncertain because of the Covid interruption, mean he is unlikely to make it as a forward at AFL. Forwards outside of the first round rarely make it, that’s the unfortunate reality. But rucks and KPDs can come more readily from anywhere. So throw him back and see what he can do. Especially with Scully, Teakle, Visentini and Finlayson/Georgiades/Lycett all needing stints through the twos as the seniors forward line is smoothed out

I don't see those in bold making as a forward or being at port in 2024

Scully, Teakle, Visentini and Finlayson/Georgiades/Lycett

Visentini, Teakle and Lycett are ruckmen
Georgie will probably play up the ground and probable in purple
Finlayson is a good player but not a KPF
Scully is a while a way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back