Player Watch Pick #5 (2006) - Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck to Boak, I hope he plays a lot of games for us, but I have a feeling it will hurt a bit when we play Hawthorn and Thorp kicks a bag.

Boy oh boy wowee.

25 games behind Selwood, with those from finals. Boak would already be at 300 games if we hadn't been such a cluster* for almost his entire time here. :( Hopefully we don't turn it into 3 out 4 Minor Premierships wasted, there's no one more deserving on our list of a flag.

2007 draft looking nicer and nicer by the week thanks to this man and Robbie Gray (and of course Westhoff). Unbelievable that we might even top it with the 2018 class.
2007?? you mean superdraft #2 2006.

25 games behind Selwood, with those from finals. Boak would already be at 300 games if we hadn't been such a clusterfu** for almost his entire time here. :( Hopefully we don't turn it into 3 out 4 Minor Premierships wasted, there's no one more deserving on our list of a flag.

Selwood would just about hold the record for finals played wouldn’t he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Michael Tuck would have that locked up personally

Just looked it up. On all time, Tuck is clear on top with 39. Burgoyne second on 35, Coventry third on 31 and Selwood fourth on 30.

In current era, Selwood is second and will likely overtake Burgoyne if his body and team hold up.

The point was Selwood is an outlier with finals appearances as Geelong have remained unnatural finalists since he was drafted.

Just looked it up. On all time, Tuck is clear on top with 39. Burgoyne second on 35, Coventry third on 31 and Selwood fourth on 30.

In current era, Selwood is second and will likely overtake Burgoyne if his body and team hold up.

The point was Selwood is an outlier with finals appearances as Geelong have remained unnatural finalists since he was drafted.
He's not that much of an outlier when you compare him to Sydney and Hawthorn players in the recent era, as well as Geelong or ex Geelong teammates who aren't that far behind him.

It was the right desicion to take Boak over Selwood

If Boak had gone to Geelong he'd be a first ballot hall of famer.

Selwood is obviously a great player, but nobody has ever entered the league in a more advantageous position. He's also been boosted massively by the frankly disgraceful way he draws frees, which the AFL actively said they'd crack down on and then just continued to pay them to him week in week out. If he'd played the same way a decade earlier he'd probably hold his Gretzky like lead in the concussions rankings instead of the free kicks rankings.

Last edited:

Another 6 finals appearances for Selwood to overtake Burgoyne? Unless they manage to jag the next two premierships I can't see that happening for Geloong or Selwood as it would unnatural if both teams have another couple of years of finals football left in them.

He's not that much of an outlier when you compare him to Sydney and Hawthorn players in the recent era, as well as Geelong or ex Geelong teammates who aren't that far behind him.

Selwood and Burgoyne have both had careers where they’ve had regular finals appearances since debut. That sort of record, even in comparison to the Hawthorn, Geelong & Sydney era is rare, which was my point.

Over the course of a long AFL career, a player would experience a lean patch with his team’s finals performances. That just didn’t happen with Selwood and Burgoyne who both have had charmed runs with finals appearances.

Selwood and Burgoyne have both had careers where they’ve had regular finals appearances since debut. That sort of record, even in comparison to the Hawthorn, Geelong & Sydney era is rare, which was my point.

Over the course of a long AFL career, a player would experience a lean patch with his team’s finals performances. That just didn’t happen with Selwood and Burgoyne who both have had charmed runs with finals appearances.

Helps when you jump ship to an emerging powerhouse the moment your formerly strong team heads south on the ladder. He's finally doing his time there now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back