Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Get around him!

2018-ROZEE-Connor.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-tracker

Classy midfielder who can also move forward effectively. He's strong overhead for his size and has quick hands and vision. Has speed and courage and tackles aggressively. Won the Division One best and fairest in the NAB AFL Under-16 Championships in 2016 and was an important member of South Australia's Under-18 winning side this year. Has already debuted at senior level with North Adelaide. Dominated at the NAB AFL Draft Combine, ranking high in vertical jump testing, agility testing and recording the second-best 20m-sprint time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

neddy36 summary of Rozee:

Connor Rozee - his versatility worked against him in the Nationals, filling a variety of roles. If he had the midfield time that Valente, Hately and Lewis were afforded there would be nobody questioning his ability to play midfield at the next level. Talent is worthy of a top 5 selection, has it all - speed, agility, overhead marking, confidence, courage, football smarts, ball use. Can stay down a bit too often with injuries but always finds a way to grit out the full game. He took on of the best hangers I have seen in a Reserves trial in 2017 and he's a very good chance to take Mark of the Year at AFL level. Probably my favourite player out of all of them and I am very confident he will be a multiple All-Australian and potentially one of the best players from this draft. Keeps elevating his game to every level he plays. Port will be very lucky if he lands there.

neddy36 summary of Rozee:

Connor Rozee - his versatility worked against him in the Nationals, filling a variety of roles. If he had the midfield time that Valente, Hately and Lewis were afforded there would be nobody questioning his ability to play midfield at the next level. Talent is worthy of a top 5 selection, has it all - speed, agility, overhead marking, confidence, courage, football smarts, ball use. Can stay down a bit too often with injuries but always finds a way to grit out the full game. He took on of the best hangers I have seen in a Reserves trial in 2017 and he's a very good chance to take Mark of the Year at AFL level. Probably my favourite player out of all of them and I am very confident he will be a multiple All-Australian and potentially one of the best players from this draft. Keeps elevating his game to every level he plays. Port will be very lucky if he lands there.

Playing league at 18 and was impressive in the finals. Impressed as Nathan Buckley.

CONNOR ROZEE

185 / 72 / RF

604313.jpg

Clubs: North Adelaide

Positions: Outside Midfield, Forward Flank

Stats:

Connor was a steady performer at SANFL level this year, averaging 13 disposals and a goal in a game in a number of different roles from small forward to small defender. He impressed as a bottom ager in the 2017 Championships with 14 disposals and over a goal a game. He followed that up with a mixed Championships this year, averaging 13 disposals and 4 tackles a game.

Gamestyle:

Connor is an athletic, enigmatic half forward who can also play as an outside midfielder. He is classy, has plenty of x-factor and is damaging with the ball. He has an enormous leap which he uses to his advantage and is a good mark. He is most damaging forward of centre where he can use his pace and clean skills to advantage. He is a long right foot kick and often hits targets. He is good in front of goal and has a clean set shot. Where he really gains an advantage is with his defensive work. He is a strong chaser, a decent tackler and puts on plenty of defensive pressure.

As an outside midfielder he shows good running capacity, but can struggle in terms of output. When finding the ball he uses it effectively going inside 50. His ability to find the ball in space and run makes him a damaging weapon. Whilst predominantly outside, he is more than capable of winning his own ball, can handball effectively under pressure and is evasive.

He does lack consistency in games, can go missing for periods of time with little impact.

There is plenty to like about Connor’s future scope as an AFL player. He may not be the type that will have a big impact straight away, but by around year 3 he will start to have a big impact on games. He is the type of player that could deliver in big games and win finals. He will need to work on his consistency in games and work on delivering more 4-quarter performances.

Draft Range: 3-10

Connor hasn’t had the most spectacular 12 months but he still looms as a potentially elite AFL player. He has the physical attributes in good pace, great agility, a huge leap as well as an elite kick and good decision making. He can play all over the park. It may take a while but he has A grade AFL football in him and once he gets there, he will stay at that level for a long time. Gold Coast are interested with 3. Port will be keen at 5 and 10. Adelaide at 8. Western Bulldogs at 7 looks a natural fit as well.

I've loved this kid for 2 years. I'm ******* stoked he's at Port Adelaide. Might take a couple of years before we see the best of him but the wait will be worth it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back